Today I changed from marriage to retirement extension at CW

what an utter joy! I got my bank statement letter and updated account from the bank downstairs, got my q-number at 9am, and was finished at 10am. No more apartment pictures with room number clearly showing, no more pictures of marriage life, no more yearly updated Marriage document from Amphur, no more hand drawn map to residence, no more redundant goofyness. TM7, Bank letter, copy of account book, passport copy, tabien baan copy and all the originals, purest simplicity. Had to fill out and sign a sworn statement that says I am who I am and live where I live and stay in Thailand for retirement, that's all. Brought my wife along for the last time, in case they need to ask her about me converting from marriage to retirement extension, and even she commented on how easy and fast this was compared with before. Heck, I even went back for seconds and did my 90 day report as well. Altogether one hour, not bored at all.

• Like 2

But if you switched from the marriage extension to retirement extension simply because you turned 50, the wife may not like an "old man" as a husband. wink.png

P.S. Good you didn't go to C/W yesterday/Wednesday because it was the most packed I've ever seen it in all areas, especially the long term visa/extension and 90 day reporting areas. I went to do my 90 day report, picked up a queue ticket at 10:10am, it was number 131, I went to the 90 day room and they were only in the mid 60 quere numbers...and no where to set down in the room...and only two officers doing the reports. At 11:50am they got to my number so I didn't get stuck for the lunch hour break of 12 to 1pm...but I just barely made it before lunch because when they got to around queue number 115 about every other queue number called went unanswered (expect some people got frustrated and left) and the things speed up. And it seems like so many people had issues with their 90 day report as they would be with the immigration officer at least 3 minutes discussing something. When I got my number called I wasn't with the immigration officer longer than 30 seconds before I had my receipt in hand, gone, out of there. Yeap, yesterday morning was the most crowded I've seen C/W immigration....just one of those days I guess when the whole world decides to go to immigration. I go back in early Sep to do my retirement extension. Future 90 day reports I just may revert to going to Major Hollywood Suksawat in western Bangkok which is closer to where I live...they are a lot faster, but the little mall they are in is so sad....plus the wife likes to tag along on my 90 day reports to C/W to shop and eat in the mall area on the ground floor.

• Like 1

Brilliant! Only this morning I was going to raise this very topic. I am married to a Thai lady, which qualifies me for a marriage extension, but I also qualify for retirement due to age (don't ask!) and pension income. I was going to ask the forum what is the best option, however I think that Klauskunkel has just provided the answer. Like it.

• Like 1

Brilliant! Only this morning I was going to raise this very topic. I am married to a Thai lady, which qualifies me for a marriage extension, but I also qualify for retirement due to age (don't ask!) and pension income. I was going to ask the forum what is the best option, however I think that Klauskunkel has just provided the answer. Like it.

I think the only reason people go the marriage extension route is because they are not 50 yet or don't have the Bt800K annual income but can swing the Bt400K income.

A retirement extension is so easy and fast, but you still see some folks paying many thousands of baht to some company to accomplish the extension paperwork for them. The paperwork is basically nothing more than being able to complete a one page application which is mostly your name, address, and passport info with a photo of yourself pasted to it...and then attaching to the form a copy of key pages of your passport with copy of arrival/departure card, embassy or bank letter confirming your income/deposit, and a copy of bank passbook if going the bank deposit/letter route. And of course the bank deposit money must be seasoned 2 months on the first extension and 3 months on the following extensions.

Assuming everything is in order, within 10 minutes of setting down with the immigration officer and paying the Bt1,900 application fee you are done, out the door, another 1 year retirement extension of stay stamp in your passport. Sometimes the immigration officer only mumbles a few words to you during the process like to say "sign here, read this form, sign your name, etc"....you just nob your head in agreement and do what they say...and the only thing you may end of saying is Hi and Thank You during the application process. Not much harder than writing a few words on a birthday card, writing some addresses on the envelope, sticking a stamp to it, and dropping it in a mailbox.

Thanks Pib for taking the time and trouble to provide this comprehensive and encouraging answer.

We arrive in Thailand in October and thanks to you, I now know exactly how to proceed. I’ll raise a glass to you, somewhere in Sakon Nakhon, once I have that magic stamp in my passport.

• Like 1