Retirees, are you worried that the rules might change?

Less than 8 years left until your retire visa smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png cheers

Perhaps it is worthwhile to remind everyone that it is not compulsory to get a retirement visa extension at 50 years old. I am 55 and just started studying for my 4th university degree, with the intention of working for the forseeable future.

In reply to your op, personally, I think it would be fine if they doubled or tripled the bank deposit amount to obtain a "retirement" visa. They could also do away with the monthly pension option, which would do away with allot of the flim-flammery surrounding these visas while at the same time washing out most of the farang undesirables in many locales. They could, at the same time, lower or eliminate the minimum age requirement for obtaining this visa class. I don't expect any of this to be done but I would have a problem if they did.

As to raising the age requirement, why would they do that? Why do they want a bunch of older (and presumably less healthy cohort) living in Thailand? If they have the funds, let them come in when their younger and spend it. Older people, as a whole, tend to spend less because they've already seen and done it all while the young are generally more free with their money.

Go to an expensive restaurant, look inside an expensive car, look who is coming out from an expensive condo or house. Is it a 25 year old farang ? or a 55 year old farang?

The answer is obvious for anybody that have been here a while.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing much has changed in the rest of Thailand for students. Anything can happen in the future but for now no problem for students. Learning Thai is a perfectly good reason for staying in Thailand.

Edited by MacWalen

Nothing much changed in the rest of Thailand for students. Anything can happen in the future but for now no problem for students. Learning Thai is a perfectly good reason for staying in Thailand.

Useful for career prospects ?

Wow, somebody wants to do away with the "income statement" and raise the bank deposit 3 times. You must be one rich dude fellow that only wants "rich" folks like you to live here. Frankly I never considered myself undesirable, but according to your standards my measly 100,000+ baht a month conribution to Thailand's economy is far, far to small and I certainly don't have 800,000 baht to deposit, much less 2,400,000 baht in a Thai bank, or for that matter a US bank.

Nothing much has changed in the rest of Thailand for students. Anything can happen in the future but for now no problem for students. Learning Thai is a perfectly good reason for staying in Thailand.

nothing much has changed yet perhaps but there is an enormous shakeup going on with visas and what I am saying to you is you have no ability whatsoever to give any undertaking or assurance to people over 50 that sooner (than later) the same restrictions Chiang Mai immigration introduced wont be introduced for people over 50 in rest of Thailand?

Edited by Asiantravel

nothing much has changed yet perhaps but there is an enormous shakeup going on with visas and what I am saying to you is you have no ability whatsoever to give any undertaking or assurance to people over 50 that sooner (than later) the same restrictions Chiang Mai immigration introduced won't be introduced regarding people over 50 in rest of Thailand?

Which restrictions are you talking about?

nothing much has changed yet perhaps but there is an enormous shakeup going on with visas and what I am saying to you is you have no ability whatsoever to give any undertaking or assurance to people over 50 that sooner (than later) the same restrictions Chiang Mai immigration introduced won't be introduced regarding people over 50 in rest of Thailand?

Which restrictions are you talking about?

In Chiang Mai immigration will not issue an education Visa to people above 50 years old

In Chiang Mai immigration will not issue an education Visa to people above 50 years old

Beside that immigration issues extensions of stay, not visa, can you post an official reference backing up your statement ?

Immigration officers had a recent meeting with the media and community in Chiang Mai, and restriction like that has been mentioned.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754414-immigration-clarifies-new-regulations-for-foreigners-in-chiang-mai/

since eight years i read over and over again

-they don't like us,

-they only like our money,

-they keep on changing the goal posts,

-Thailand is a <insert derogatory expression> country,

-all Thais are racists,

-Thai banks levy a racist fee when using their ATMs,

-the noodle soup vendor charged me 5 Baht more,

-why don't they do something about soi dogs?

-why do Thais pick their noses in public?

-Cambodia here i come!

-only invest in Thailand what you are prepared to lose,

-Mummy, Mummy they call me "Farang"!

the list of loser complaints is endless! bah.gif

You forgot their lazy

Beside that immigration issues extensions of stay, not visa, can you post an official reference backing up your statement ?

Immigration officers had a recent meeting with the media and community in Chiang Mai, and restriction like that has been mentioned.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754414-immigration-clarifies-new-regulations-for-foreigners-in-chiang-mai/

I don't but you can easily check with the immigration office yourself in CM.

I can't remember if you could get the first visa and it was the subsequent extensions that would not be allowed or whether it was even the original visa itself.

But whatever the scenario the bottom line is, even if you can get the first one as far as the CM office is concerned they will no longer allow you to look upon an education visa as an alternative to a retirement Visa.

I can't remember if you could get the first visa and it was the subsequent extensions that would not be allowed or whether it was even the original visa itself.

But whatever the scenario the bottom line is, even if you can get the first one as far as the CM office is concerned they will no longer allow you to look upon an education visa as an alternative to a retirement Visa.

What you're saying is not backed up by a credible source, or any reports here, so at this point it's your belief only unless you can prove otherwise.

What you're saying is not backed up by a credible source, or any reports here, so at this point it's your belief only unless you can prove otherwise.

well that is entirely your prerogative isn't it?

coffee1.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

they will no longer allow you to look upon an education visa as an alternative to a retirement Visa.

Huh?? It has never been that! It is a visa issued to study in an approved language school or university, regardless of your age. It is not a visa to play golf and never has been.....

Edited by simon43

here you go Paz. smile.png Just to satisfy you. Halfway down this Web page you will see a note which says

NOTE: Education (Student) VISA's are no longer available for persons over

50 years of age.”

And if that's not good enough for you well I'm very sorry about that and I encourage you to get it from the horse's mouth i.e. the immigration office itself ( as i did wai.gif )

http://donslifeinthailand.com/VISA_Student.html

here you go Paz. smile.png Just to satisfy you. Halfway down this Web page you will see a note which says

50 years of age.

You are quoting some sort of advertising page, that is incorrect in that regard. Beside they talk about visa, that are issued outside of Thailand, not at immigration.

It is not an official page or statement. If you want to claim that Chiang Mai does not obey laws and rules on immigration, you'll to prove that, not others the opposite.

Edited by paz

50 years of age.

You are quoting some sort of advertising page, that is incorrect in that regard. Beside they talk about visa, that are issued outside of Thailand, not at immigration.

It is not an official page or statement. If you want to claim that Chiang Mai does not obey laws and rules on immigration, you'll to prove that, not others the opposite.

firstly I don't have to prove anything. I am merely passing on this information based on my personal experience of dealing with them.

Secondly, it is not mentioned on any official page because it is an internal rule the Chiang Mai office decided to introduce for whatever reason. I have no idea why they introduced this and when I was told about it I considered it to be rather discriminatory in some ways because it's almost like implying that people over 50 don't have the ability or desire to learn?

Anyway, I'm not going to argue with you any further and I will leave it up to you to find out for yourself.

Wow, somebody wants to do away with the "income statement" and raise the bank deposit 3 times. You must be one rich dude fellow that only wants "rich" folks like you to live here. Frankly I never considered myself undesirable, but according to your standards my measly 100,000+ baht a month conribution to Thailand's economy is far, far to small and I certainly don't have 800,000 baht to deposit, much less 2,400,000 baht in a Thai bank, or for that matter a US bank.

Don't worry, as I also said, I don't expect it to ever happen. In addition, I would hardly consider anyone with 1.6-2.4M baht in a bank to be rich but I guess it's relative.

Secondly, it is not mentioned on any official page because it is an internal rule the Chiang Mai office decided to introduce for whatever reason. I have no idea why they introduced this and when I was told about it I considered it to be rather discriminatory in some ways because it's almost like implying that people over 50 don't have the ability or desire to learn?

I agree with you on that and my point is that there is reasonable limit for offices making their own rules, that restriction would have no chances to resist an appeal request, formal or informal. If anybody has personal information on the matter is welcome to post it here or better a new thread.

I agree with you on that and my point is that there is reasonable limit for offices making their own rules, that restriction would have no chances to resist an appeal request, formal or informal. If anybody has personal information on the matter is welcome to post it here or better a new thread.

The most obvious person to comment on this would be MacWalen and particularly as he is a sponsor on this forum.

But you or I have no idea as to whether the head of each regional office is limited in their policy making. I can recall the comment they made along the lines that they considered too many older people were abusing the education visa by staying here on it and that by 50 years old if you wanted to stay long time, you should be able to apply for a retirement Visa.

But you or I have no idea as to whether the head of each regional office is limited in their policy making. I can recall the comment they made along the lines that they considered too many older people were abusing the education visa by staying here on it and that by 50 years old if you wanted to stay long time, you should be able to apply for a retirement Visa.

I've been reading and answering the forum for quite a while and I never seen one single report where the applicant was denied an extension of stay when having the correct paperwork and requirements. Of course I've read about offices or occasions that are difficult to satisfy, required additional documents, changed the procedure etc, but actually in all cases are still respecting the actual Immigration "law".

I have no problem in believing that Chiang Mai or any other office can actively try to discourage from applying in the case you mentioned, at the same time I think they would have to eventually grant the extension when all the requisites are met.

I've been reading and answering the forum for quite a while and I never seen one single report where the applicant was denied an extension of stay when having the correct paperwork and requirements. Of course I've read about offices or occasions that are difficult to satisfy, required additional documents, changed the procedure etc, but actually in all cases are still respecting the actual Immigration "law".

I have no problem in believing that Chiang Mai or any other office can actively try to discourage from applying in the case you mentioned, at the same time I think they would have to eventually grant the extension when all the requisites are met.

I didn't know this had already been discussed earlier. (See link to thread below) the TV member " mapguy " in march of this year in post number 51 wrote

“ Chiang Mai Immigration would not grant (or renew) education visas to people over 50 years-of-age “

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/637963-where-can-study-cheap-for-ed-visa-in-chiang-mai/page-3

I didn't know this had already been discussed earlier. (See link to thread below) the TV member " mapguy " in march of this year in post number 51 wrote

“ Chiang Mai Immigration would not grant (or renew) education visas to people over 50 years-of-age “

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/637963-where-can-study-cheap-for-ed-visa-in-chiang-mai/page-3

He's claiming that by hearsay. His post is mostly an anti-ED visa rant, with no specific or first hand information.

He's claiming that by hearsay. His post is mostly an anti-ED visa rant, with no specific or first hand information.

ok this thread it is even more specific

I have read somewhere that Ed visa for an over 50 person will not be extended after the first year (I am 62). This was confirmed by Walen school as being the policy of immigration in Chiang Mai. Does this rule apply for the rest of Thailand?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/601367-ed-visa-extension-for-over-50s/

I have read somewhere that Ed visa for an over 50 person will not be extended after the first year (I am 62). This was confirmed by Walen school as being the policy of immigration in Chiang Mai. Does this rule apply for the rest of Thailand?

Thread from 2012 ends without any confirmation or first hand experience.

And see post 8 in this thread

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/thailand-expat-forum-expats-living-thailand/21387-education-visa-non-immigrant-ed-visa.html

Thread from 2012 ends without any confirmation or first hand experience.

as I said earlier perhaps MacWalen can confirm or otherwisesmile.png

The topic here is potential changes that might occur to the criteria for extension of stay via retirement. Whether some age 50+ folks are smug about it is irrelevant to that query. Those are the regulations. If those in the under age 50 crowd do not currently qualify for any of the other approved reasons for extension of stay, that is the determination of the Thai Officialdom and age 50+ persons smug or living in delusion or not have nothing to do with it.

If some of those under age 50 want to blow off steam about an outdated concept currently embedded in the regulations of the new Police Order and elsewhere and that they deserve and should have the same right to stay in Thailand along with any in the age 50+ crowd, here is a good place to do it.

Edited by JLCrab

Yes this topic is about potential changes to criteria for extension based on retirement.

I don't understand why there is so much angst between the under 50 and over 50 brigade.

Fact is that is thai immigration rules at present. I think in the main the OP was adressing this towards people who are in situation of extension based on retirement. Changes that could include different income/bank deposit level. etc

Would they one day make medical checks complusory for people over certain age etc.

I do not see any relevance to topic by posts above such as JLCrab.

Retirement has a loose definition. You can't have an OAvisa based on retirement issued in UK unless you are over 65 and receiving state pension, but at age 50 you can jump on a plane, arrive on a permit to enter stamp and convert that through a couple of steps to an annual retirement extension, all without a "pension" - just an income. The apparent intention is to encourage people who have the financial means to settle down in Thailand and spend their money. There's a bit of beaurocratic silliness in how the "financial means" is measured, but sorting that out would only close the door on people who are financially marginal anyway. The way the rules are written leaves the system open to abuse - 800K does not have to be your own money and is only tied up for 3 months, then returned to the borrower ;)

Thailand wants disposable income, and income is a stream, not a lump of cash.