Do you like being the only farang in your area?

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ResandePhom post # 66

What a load of BS.Would you in your own country go up to a complete stranger in Tesco and try and befriend them?. If you did do you think they would appreciate it? I some how doubt it. They would probably take you for being a weirdo. So if you would not do that at home why do it here? Or maybe you are a weirdo.

When I am at our Surin farm house with the family I am the only resident farang for about 16 kilometers and when I have met the other somewhat rare foreigners in the area they've all spoken and they are from a variety of nationalities.

We've exchanged books and videos etc. and socialized that's not weird at all even met foreigners in the local Tesco Lotus Express and 7-11 outlets which are some 15 kilometers from home.

Strangely enough none of us ever considered the other parties weird.

Have you ever lived in a community where you are the only one of your foreigner for any length of time?

I have as have many others too and social contacts whilst rare are welcome..

Perhaps weirdness factor is with your attitude ResandePhom.

To answer your question " Have lived in a community where I have been the only one of my nationality?" Yes I have (20 years) and also I do now.

I have not said I don't mix with other farang. I do and we do similar things to what you have described. However they are farang that I have met through social functions, business or they have been neighbours at some time. To acknowledge a farang in tesco simply because he is a farang and who I probably have nothing in common with I think to be ludicrous. If they are so desperate for farang company that they need to search out farang in a supermarket it is very sad.

Personally I do not discriminate between farang, thai, asian or anything else. I take people for what they are not for how they look.

• Like 1

It is easy to feel like you are the only farang in town when there are many. I find it weird that Westerners that I incur on exercise walks, at the supermarket and just most anywhere are totally unfriendly -- act as if you are invisible.. I've heard the stories about some other farangs glomming on to you - but the degree of self-protection is IMO way over the top... Not even a nod of the head to a good morning, or just a plain offending stare is sometimes all that one gets back from maybe just saying 'good morning' all done without sticking out one's hand expecting a handshake ... sad really...

I consider these farangs as defective - shunted - stunted personality defect... If one cannot every nod the head to another Westerner in an Asian country -- then that person has a great personal problem IMO an exaggerated fear expectation ... sick actually

What a load of BS.Would you in your own country go up to a complete stranger in Tesco and try and befriend them?. If you did do you think they would appreciate it? I some how doubt it. They would probably take you for being a weirdo. So if you would not do that at home why do it here? Or maybe you are a weirdo.

I think that is unfair, I am not a weirdo, If I saw a another Farang in my village, I not go up to him and try and befriend him, I would nod and be prepared to move on, leaving him the chance to nod back and start a conversation. No. I would not do that in my own country as I see farangs all the time, well in the UK maybe not all the time due to the amount of immigrants.

Surely it is easy to see the difference between being here in Thailand among locals and being in your own country among other Farangs.

I see a difference only if you are discriminating against the locals. The only reason I can think you would approach another farang in your village is out of curiosity. You want to know what the hell he is doing in your village. Where as I take the approach that if he is living in my village I will get to know him sooner or later and if he is just passing through then I hope he does it as quickly as possible.

ResandePhom post # 66

When I am at our Surin farm house with the family I am the only resident farang for about 16 kilometers and when I have met the other somewhat rare foreigners in the area they've all spoken and they are from a variety of nationalities.

We've exchanged books and videos etc. and socialized that's not weird at all even met foreigners in the local Tesco Lotus Express and 7-11 outlets which are some 15 kilometers from home.

Have you ever lived in a community where you are the only one of your foreigner for any length of time?

To answer your question " Have lived in a community where I have been the only one of my nationality?" Yes I have (20 years) and also I do now.

I have not said I don't mix with other farang. I do and we do similar things to what you have described. However they are farang that I have met through social functions, business or they have been neighbours at some time. To acknowledge a farang in tesco simply because he is a farang and who I probably have nothing in common with I think to be ludicrous. If they are so desperate for farang company that they need to search out farang in a supermarket it is very sad.

Personally I do not discriminate between farang, thai, asian or anything else. I take people for what they are not for how they look.

"To acknowledge a farang in tesco simply because he is a farang and who I probably have nothing in common with I think to be ludicrous. If they are so desperate for farang company that they need to search out farang in a supermarket it is very sad."

Before I married, and lived in Scandinavia, I found supermarkets to be an excellent location to socialize with single females, get telephone numbers, and make future contact. Even though they were perfect strangers the encounters that resulted from such pursuits were anything but sad.

The practice for me has proved equally rewarding with farnags in Thailand, however not within the same context as previously. Some people are simply more reserved and less social and that's OK. I won't even say it's sad. The trait of sociability in individuals has much to do with how much each person feels they have to lose.

• Like 1

It is easy to feel like you are the only farang in town when there are many. I find it weird that Westerners that I incur on exercise walks, at the supermarket and just most anywhere are totally unfriendly -- act as if you are invisible.. I've heard the stories about some other farangs glomming on to you - but the degree of self-protection is IMO way over the top... Not even a nod of the head to a good morning, or just a plain offending stare is sometimes all that one gets back from maybe just saying 'good morning' all done without sticking out one's hand expecting a handshake ... sad really...

I consider these farangs as defective - shunted - stunted personality defect... If one cannot every nod the head to another Westerner in an Asian country -- then that person has a great personal problem IMO an exaggerated fear expectation ... sick actually

I think that is unfair, I am not a weirdo, If I saw a another Farang in my village, I not go up to him and try and befriend him, I would nod and be prepared to move on, leaving him the chance to nod back and start a conversation. No. I would not do that in my own country as I see farangs all the time, well in the UK maybe not all the time due to the amount of immigrants.

Surely it is easy to see the difference between being here in Thailand among locals and being in your own country among other Farangs.

I see a difference only if you are discriminating against the locals. The only reason I can think you would approach another farang in your village is out of curiosity. You want to know what the hell he is doing in your village. Where as I take the approach that if he is living in my village I will get to know him sooner or later and if he is just passing through then I hope he does it as quickly as possible.

Where did I say I would approach another Farang? Read my post again. I said I would not go up to him and try to befriend him, if I was passing him in the street, I would acknowledge him and move on. If he was sober and clean and spoke to me in a friendly way, I would do the same back.

I'm not the only farang around, but we're few and far between. Do I care, mind, like or dislike? Don't care either way. I'm happy when other farangs come to visit, but I'm also pretty content in my skin and being with family most of the time. I don't feel the need to be 'with my people' so to speak. Unlike the Pattaya/Phuket crowd I also despise the farang bar scene, that would be Hell for me.

So Am I'm happy being kinda isolated...I absolutely am

Looking at it another way......when my Thai wife first moved to the UK she made friends with several Thai ladies she happened to meet whilst out shopping or having a stroll through town.

She's far from being a weirdo btw.

• Like 1

ResandePhom post # 66

"To acknowledge a farang in tesco simply because he is a farang and who I probably have nothing in common with I think to be ludicrous. If they are so desperate for farang company that they need to search out farang in a supermarket it is very sad."

Before I married, and lived in Scandinavia, I found supermarkets to be an excellent location to socialize with single females, get telephone numbers, and make future contact. Even though they were perfect strangers the encounters that resulted from such pursuits were anything but sad.

The practice for me has proved equally rewarding with farnags in Thailand, however not within the same context as previously. Some people are simply more reserved and less social and that's OK. I won't even say it's sad. The trait of sociability in individuals has much to do with how much each person feels they have to lose.

I too have lived in scandinavia and used the same technique although usually in the pub and not the supermarket with all the screaming brats around. However I also had an ulterior motive and it wasn't out of desperation for friendship either

• Like 1

Being isolated in those villages living among people who have absolutely nothing in common with yourself is a very strange choice of life for a Westerner. The complete inability to have any intellectual conversation must be torture after a while.

"The complete inability to have any intellectual conversation must be torture after a while."

I know that this be will controversial ... if I want Intellectual conversation I simply chat with my Partner.

Nothing controversial about that at all.

seems you have the right partner!

• Like 1

Looking at it another way......when my Thai wife first moved to the UK she made friends with several Thai ladies she happened to meet whilst out shopping or having a stroll through town.

She's far from being a weirdo btw.

I am glad to hear it worked for your wife but I note it was Thais she spoke to not any old asian. If she really wants to meet Thais in the UK she should join her local Thai society. There are many in England

We all sit and either sip Coffee or a Beer and watch Spring in action...... Watch the "Flowers in Bloom" walk past.... wai2.gifclap2.gifwhistling.gif

What better way they (Thai's) can be sure to be offered the same Luxury... (But with nothing to compare us as we "Walk... Jog... Run..." thru the Village! thumbsup.gifcheesy.gif

May not be on same levels as some of the Beautiful Flowers here.... But would they Know??? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifwai2.gif

I like it.

I am not prejudged and lumped in with all of the fat, sloppy, rude, drunk sex fiends that so many in high farang population areas assume farangs are.

The people of my town have never been exposed to irresponsible foreign element that has invaded Bangkok, Pattaya and all the high farang population areas yet.

Here, if the locals do not like me, it is a result of something I have done or not done, not what some disrespectful drunk has done.

So far, it seems I am doing o.k. and making a pretty good impression.

Most even call me by name...not "Farang"!

Same do me... It is nice to share Wai's and have kids come and ask for help on understanding English Word or Idea... The trust and protection I have gained is Heart Felt wai2.gif

Edited by davidstipek
  • Like 1

Being isolated in those villages living among people who have absolutely nothing in common with yourself is a very strange choice of life for a Westerner. The complete inability to have any intellectual conversation must be torture after a while. Most of the guys i,ve met on my rare excursions tend to be pretty miserable souls but of course they won't admit it. Many lured by young wives and conned into building a house for the whole family to treat as their own ( well it's not yours anyhow ). Some live with the inlaws but all are doing something they'd never even consider back home so why now. There mere sight of a new farang in the village lights up their eyes with excitement but it's only for a few days until they're gone and it's back to the normal drudgery of life. Personally i think you must be a little crazy or just complete mugs. Yes , i know you're all going to tell me how different it is for you and how wrong i am but i still don't believe you.

Being isolated in those villages living among people who have absolutely nothing in common with yourself is a very strange choice of life for a Westerner.

Absolutely not. First of all my partner has many things in common with me otherwise I wouldn't stay with her in her village. She is also my best friend.

I have worked and lived in Bangkok over 20 years so it was either leaving Thailand or move to the village as I got tired of Bangkok. I am still once a month in Bangkok for 3-4 days and since I have many friends in Bangkok (Managers of Hotels and Tour companies) I don't really miss anyone when I am in Isaan.

The complete inability to have any intellectual conversation must be torture after a while.

Not at all. Do you think that their are only farmers in Isaan? I met some great peoples which are Thai and I keep regular contact with them.

Many lured by young wives and conned into building a house for the whole family to treat as their own ( well it's not yours anyhow ).

Nobody lured me into Isaan and I prefer my young wife compared to my ex-wife that I had before that was older then me. Not sure where you get the idea from that every family moved into a farang house. My in-laws have their own house just 30 meters away but we socialise on a daily basis with them and they are really hard-working people.

There mere sight of a new farang in the village lights up their eyes with excitement but it's only for a few days until they're gone and it's back to the normal drudgery of life.

Seeing farangs all the time that come from Pattaya or Nana/Cowboy with their new found love to our village but this is just a business transaction and they will normally return after a few days. I do have some long term friends that stay 3-4 months in Isaan before they return with their wife to the West but once they leave I don't really miss them as we are in contact via Skype or Email at least once a month.

You must have gotten some bad experience in the past and that's why I don't want to comment on your last lines. If you do make it to Isaan, hopefully I will not have to meet you as I ignore people with your kind of attitude.

• Like 2

Costas2008, on 25 Aug 2014 - 14:18, said:

OP, I love being the only farang in the village.

Feel like a novelty here, wais all over, smiles from everybody.

My only problem is, can't approach the sexy girls, as everybody knows the farang and will immediately go to my wife.

But I'm working on that.......there are other villages around.........

Well it is all Greek to me as per your post.

Keep it in your pants for your wife's sake and yours as well.

Thailand does not need anymore HIV/AIDs cases as they have too many of them already. sad.png

Please read the link below.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754662-research-shows-more-thai-teenagers-infected-with-hiv/

Thank you for your in put coffee1.gif

Win facepalm.gif

My only problem is, can't approach the sexy girls, as everybody knows the farang and will immediately go to my wife.

Thailand does not need anymore HIV/AIDs cases as they have too many of them already. sad.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754662-research-shows-more-thai-teenagers-infected-with-hiv/

Thank you for your in put coffee1.gif

Win facepalm.gif

Ahhhhhhhh......I do understand, KW, you like me sooooooo much, that you can't resist, posting an answer to my comments.

Don't worry, you are not the only one.

I do have this effect on many people, can't help it really.

• Like 1

Being isolated in those villages living among people who have absolutely nothing in common with yourself is a very strange choice of life for a Westerner. The complete inability to have any intellectual conversation must be torture after a while. Most of the guys i,ve met on my rare excursions tend to be pretty miserable souls but of course they won't admit it. Many lured by young wives and conned into building a house for the whole family to treat as their own ( well it's not yours anyhow ). Some live with the inlaws but all are doing something they'd never even consider back home so why now. There mere sight of a new farang in the village lights up their eyes with excitement but it's only for a few days until they're gone and it's back to the normal drudgery of life. Personally i think you must be a little crazy or just complete mugs. Yes , i know you're all going to tell me how different it is for you and how wrong i am but i still don't believe you.

How do some of you come up with this crap? Did you have some bad experience or what? Nana & Pong...maybe a little too much Nana Plaza maybe??

Sounds like a terrible idea to live in a thai village , isolated from the modern world and starbucks. And all this noise that sorround you in a small village . Can you sleep at nights ?

Why live like a cheap farmer when in Thailand. Enjoy life with the best food at restaurants , have a few drinks, socialize with westerners. This is the real life.

Edited by balo

Sounds like a terrible idea to live in a thai village , isolated from the modern world and starbucks. And all this noise that sorround you in a small village . Can you sleep at nights ?

Why live like a cheap farmer when in Thailand. Enjoy life with the best food at restaurants , have a few drinks, socialize with westerners. This is the real life.

Your post is so judgmental. We're all different , have different desires, and wants.

Many people, later in life like to live like a farmer. It's PERSONAL CHOICE.

If you prefer Starbucks and foreigners as your social circle, that's YOUR option.

don't be so presumptuous as to other people's wants.

What exactly makes you think we all live like 'cheap farmers'? My life here in isaan is not so different to my life in San Diego (no beach however). I'm never quite sure why some posters here have this, almost acidic view of life in Isaan. Bad experience with a bar girl maybe, who knows. Nowhere in Isaan is that isolated, sure there are folks that move here and hate the rural life, but there are hell of a lot more of us that life here, by choice, and love it.

I'm fine with people enjoying what I would consider the Hell Holes of Bangkok, Pattaya & Phuket, equally you should respect the many of us that enjoy living here

Edited by GinBoy2

Thank you for your in put :coff

Win facepalm.gif

Ahhhhhhhh......I do understand, KW, you like me sooooooo much, that you can't resist, posting an answer to my comments.

Don't worry, you are not the only one.

I do have this effect on many people, can't help it really.

I know badgers are reputed 'in some domains' to have TB. I never heard of a badger with HIV. Am I missing something?

• Like 1

Not at all. The real way is to get the balance of everything. There are no Starbucks or Fast food chains where I live most of the time, I don't miss it. I have plenty of good restaurants , good seafood and places where I can buy more foreign comfort foods. The beach is nearby. If I want more of the modern world then a 40 minute flight to Bangkok does that for me and a long weekend in my place there, or a 3 hour drive to Pattaya.

My village is quiet, other than the odd village party a few times a year (which I get invited to), my neighbours are nice and there are a couple of Westerners in the village who are nice enough people, I have a few other English friends 20 minute drive away. I have the best of both worlds, which IMO is the way to do it.

• Like 1

Only helping out Greek, to save others from getting HIV/AIDS. sad.png

Your choice and up to others that wish to cross this thin line coffee1.gif

Win facepalm.gif

I don't think you need to worry Kan Win, Costas is just having a laugh.

He's more interested in Badgers and other assorted mammals

• Like 1

its AKA the "only gay in the village" syndrome...laugh.png

is that supposed to be something to be proud of? do you really know what thai's think of homosexuals?

Pray do share your sweeping over- generalisation with the rest of the forum