safest vehicle to drive

Mike45

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very few collisions are "head-on" in reality, especially in Europe.

The roads in Thailand unfortunately are very poorly designed and do very little to prevent oncoming vehicles from colliding so the chances of something near to head-on are higher.

• Like 1

If you want a serious answer I'd say Volvo V40. Scored the highest ever crash rating and it's available in Thailand.

I'm seriously considering one after I saw a Heico v40 around town.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/188599/volvo-v40-breaks-safety-records-euro-ncap-crash-testing/

I loved my Volvo 760 (V6) Estate. The road holding at speed was terrific, plus even then there was safety stuff added, except air bags............whistling.gif

Something big with allot of mass and decent safety kit...the top-spec Ford Ranger comes to mind...lots of mass and 6 airbags. All Nissan Teanas, even lowest spec, come with 6 airbags as well. I'm looking at the Teana. The Volvo XC-60 would be nice but over 3M baht is just too much.

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat as you, looking for a very safe car around 1M.

Here's what I've found in my price range:

Mercedes Benz S280 W220 (2004-2006)

BMW 7 Series 730iL (2004 - 2006)

Volvo S80 (2007-2010)

I'd have to say the Volvo.

Please don't purchase anything German that's 10 years old, especially in Thailand. You'll be forever burning money.

Thanks for that link. Interesting in terms of mass market cars available to us here in Thailand, the Ford Ecosport, Mazda 3, Honda CRV, all quite excellent around 93-94% for adult safety.

Surprisingly bad results for a couple of Nissans and VWs that we don't get here in Thailand anyway...

• Like 1

A vehicle is only as safe as its driver

Spot on...

see above - a totally facile comment (par for the course?)

See above, a completely sensible comment, one can wrap themselves in bubble wrap for safety and if you can't drive capably no amount of "safety" features or vehicle size is going to help you or the others around you on the road. I drove a small SEAT Cordoba there for years and guess what? No reason to feel unsafe, in fact felt/feel VERY safe as did/does my family, because of WHO was/is driving the car they ride in..

The V40 is nice but around 1.7 million new + also has Knee airbags, but for 1/2 that price you can get a Proton Preve 2 airbags, 2 side airbags and 2 curtain airbags and also rated 5 Stars in the cash test..

New Mazda 3 also and has a 5 start rating..

Top model Focus also has same amount of airbags..

Also got to look out for Thai built models, sold here the Top Nissan Pulsar has only 2 airbags, yet the export models have side airbags

In some ways I agree that an aware, defensive and skilled driver, with a good accelerating and braking machine can avoid many dangerous situations. On the other hand, when that sh*t hits you from out of nowhere, by the most unexpected set of circumstances, no amount of great skill will save you. The car has to be safe for that..., and then there is also the wife who might drive your car....

Yeah there's plenty of proof of that safety already on here in numerous truck and SUV videos crashing with deaths and serious injuries.. Very few of them have been cars mind, and most others are big trucks, buses etc. A motocy now, that's another topic, it goes to the other extreme. What people have forgotten is that is has been proven decades ago that size is not necessarily safer due to the impact forces behind the crash which translate to the passengers in most cases. That's what happens in large vehicles besides that fact that there is little chance to avoid the accident and NOT lose control anyway. If you have enough impact to get crushed in a reasonably sized car, your'e just as likely to get crushed in a larger vehicle under similar circumstances but hey besides my 25 years of on track experience there's only my more than 35 years daily driving experience and more miles driven than I can even document, to go on..

Edited by WarpSpeed

In some ways I agree that an aware, defensive and skilled driver, with a good accelerating and braking machine can avoid many dangerous situations. On the other hand, when that sh*t hits you from out of nowhere, by the most unexpected set of circumstances, no amount of great skill will save you. The car has to be safe for that..., and then there is also the wife who might drive your car....

Yeah there's plenty of proof of that safety already on here in numerous truck and SUV videos crashing with deaths and serious injuries.. Very few of them have been cars mind, and most others are big trucks, buses etc. A motocy now, that's another topic, it goes to the other extreme. What people have forgotten is that is has been proven decades ago that size is not necessarily safer due to the impact forces behind the crash which translate to the passengers in most cases. That's what happens in large vehicles besides that fact that there is little chance to avoid the accident and NOT lose control anyway. If you have enough impact to get crushed in a reasonably sized car, your'e just as likely to get crushed in a larger vehicle under similar circumstances but hey besides my 25 years of on track experience there's only my more than 35 years daily driving experience and more miles driven than I can even document, to go on..

You might agree with me that years of driving in Thailand, contending with the multitude of motorbike threats from any direction, conveyances of any sort and speed suddenly appearing, unsafe big rig drivers, and general idiots, that an already excellent driver becomes even better because of this training. I'm not a professional race driver as you, but did my fair share of hobby racing and have driven all over the world. I have become a better driver because of the conditions in Thailand.

• Like 1

Has been stated already. It depends on the crash involved. If rolling over, i'd prefer to be in a swift than a ranger or similar. If head-on then the opposite. If we are comparing Japanese cars there really is no safest in my opinion. The crash type, impact point are very different. Motorcycle helmets vary but may win the same safety rating award. a 5 star sharp helmet may receive 5 stars for side impact while the other the front.

• Like 1

Spot on...

See above, a completely sensible comment, one can wrap themselves in bubble wrap for safety and if you can't drive capably no amount of "safety" features or vehicle size is going to help you or the others around you on the road. I drove a small SEAT Cordoba there for years and guess what? No reason to feel unsafe, in fact felt/feel VERY safe as did/does my family, because of WHO was/is driving the car they ride in..

so you've changed your mind - after all it was a totally unsupportable comment.

• Like 1

Spot on...

Here we go, he's off again! Moderators get ready.

Spot on...

Where did you see a change of mind?

• Like 2

Where did you see a change of mind?

He'as now included the safety features of the vehicle......next he''l have to admit they make a difference....it's slow process with WS which usually ends up in a tantrum.

• Like 1