New X-trail almost here?

bkkjames

An extra 50 hp would be nice in the X-Trail but there does not seem to be a better engine on the cards. The Hybrid electric motor is something like 40 hp so Nissan could have got close with a 2.5L Hybrid. The hybrid uses the 2.0L engine at 147hp, so its acceleration will probably be comparable to the 2.5L CVT.

Strangely the 2.0L came out slightly thirstier than the 2.5L in Australian fuel consumption tests. The combined cycle results were 12 - 12.7 km/L for the conventional petrol models so Nissan's 20.6 km/L for the Hybrid sounds optimistic. The low powered 1.6L diesel does 18.9 km/L!

A decent turbo engine and hybrid drive-train would get close 20km/L, and still be capable of good performance but the purchase cost would be getting pretty high so not an easy sell outside the higher price range, prestige market like the Benz C300 hybrid etc.

Mid market hybrids are a cost compromise. The extra push from the electric drive is mostly absorbed by the extra weight and smaller less powerful petrol engine compared to the largest non hybrid versions.

Edited by Jitar

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An extra 50 hp would be nice in the X-Trail but there does not seem to be a better engine on the cards. The Hybrid electric motor is something like 40 hp so Nissan could have got close with a 2.5L Hybrid. The hybrid uses the 2.0L engine at 147hp, so its acceleration will probably be comparable to the 2.5L CVT.

Strangely the 2.0L came out slightly thirstier than the 2.5L in Australian fuel consumption tests. The combined cycle results were 12 - 12.7 km/L for the conventional petrol models so Nissan's 20.6 km/L for the Hybrid sounds optimistic. The low powered 1.6L diesel does 18.9 km/L!

A decent turbo engine and hybrid drive-train would get close 20km/L, and still be capable of good performance but the purchase cost would be getting pretty high so not an easy sell outside the higher price range, prestige market like the Benz C300 hybrid etc.

Mid market hybrids are a cost compromise. The extra push from the electric drive is mostly absorbed by the extra weight and smaller less powerful petrol engine compared to the largest non hybrid versions.

I guess my POV is, save all the expense of batteries, motors, chargers and controllers, and just give me a good, direct injected turbo (or 2 turbos, or 2 turbos and and supercharger :P ) gasoline engine. The cost is less, performance is way better, and the $ I saved over hybrid will more than make up for the little extra gasoline I'll need to buy :P