Thai editorial: Why do we need a coup-maker to do simple things?

webfact

EDITORIAL
Why do we need a coup-maker to do simple things?

The Nation

Clampdown on illegal beach vendors and strict law enforcement should have been done under democratic governments

BANGKOK: -- Polls suggest that the public is fairly satisfied with the performance of the National Council for Peace and Order in the three months since it came to power. Taking politics out of the equation, positive changes wrought by the junta have not only pleased most citizens but also prompted them to reconsider the pros and cons of a non-elected government.

One question being asked, though, is why essential changes can't be made under democratically elected governments? Does it take a coup to have traffic laws properly enforces, transport put in order and mafia-like vendors cleared from popular beaches? Unlike countries where laws are rigidly enforced and commonly respected, Thailand has long suffered from lax enforcement - a problem the military junta has been quick to address.

We might laugh at Singaporeans' fastidious refusal to spit in public, and be amazed at motorcyclists in Vietnam wearing helmets even on quiet country roads. In both cases, they respect the law despite being quite able to break it without being caught. So which nationality is behaving strangely here?

The military government is trying to convince us that the pros of non-elected rule outweigh the cons, delivering as much if not more. Yet if we look at the quick-fix measures launched by the NCPO, none should be beyond the scope of an elected government.

Take, for example, the NCPO's launch of one-stop registration for immigrant workers, which has earned widespread praise. Yet any government could have tackled the problem of illegal immigrants by improving the registration process.

The reality is that bringing such positive changes does not depend solely on the government in power. Smooth-running bureaucratic services, proper enforcement of traffic laws and regulation of public transport serve the common good. We are eager to claim our individual rights, but more reluctant when it comes to the other side of the social contract - our personal duties and responsibilities. Yet we will only restore order to our society when we realise that individual freedom cannot exist without individual respect for the law.

This means we must instil moral authority at every level of society. Police must act professionally and enforce the law strictly and without favour. Government officials must do likewise, serving the public to the best of their capacity. Members of the public must respect the law without insisting on conditions or expecting privileges.

None of this will happen through force or coercion. The readiness to do good for the sake of the common good must be instilled in children. The next generation must learn civic values that equate to more than just fear of punishment.

Improvements made by the NCPO might be something to cheer about, but can they be sustained, or will they be obeyed only so long as their makers remain in power?

The NCPO faces a more pressing challenge, though, in the rising public expectation for its imminent reform process. Public pressure for transparency is growing, and the members of the junta and National Legislative Assembly are being urged to declare their assets.

NCPO deputy chief General Paiboon Koomchaya, in charge of legal affairs, says the junta members are ready to comply voluntarily. NLA members, meanwhile, will be required to declare their assets and liabilities in accordance with a law being enforced by the National Anti-Corruption Commission. There is hope, too, that the NCPO extends this law to cover its own members.

By declaring assets, the junta can set a direction for the reform process. Although the generals are not obliged to do so by law, voluntary declaration by members would offer some assurance that they are sincere in their stated aim of forging a new and "cleaner" politics.

The military is now involved in three branches of power, with one general now prime minister and others likely to become Cabinet members. Having taken this central role in politics, the top brass must pay serious attention to whether it is in the national interest that they declare their assets, thereby setting an example of honesty and transparency that all citizens can follow.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Why-do-we-need-a-coup-maker-to-do-simple-things-30241840.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-27

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to make sense of this post as I am not sure just what has been achieved yet apart from the public example being made of the beach vendors in Phuket. There are new traffic laws but no drive to ensure the current ones are obeyed, there are to be new alcohol rules but no drive to ensure the current ones are obeyed. The visa run thing I do understand and I think has the potential to be a good development.

Puzzledxohmy.png.pagespeed.ic.shABmucp9T.png

• Like 1

The reality is that bringing such positive changes does not depend solely on the government in power

Having a government that cared about people, rather than just filling their pockets might be a good place to start.

I couldn't agree more.

In both cases, they respect the law despite being quite able to break it without being caught. So which nationality is behaving strangely here?

Here is your answer in a nut shell. Thai's respect only themselves and the baht. Everything is about 'me' and how to make another baht. Is it surprising to see this reflected in the lives of the politicians and the police? Hell no. This is how they were brought up.

Wow....my wife and I were just discussing this last night.....also, my students (Thai professionals) said the exact same thing as you. Funny, one might think that a Buddhist country be more on the selfless side of life, but not here.

• Like 2

Many populist "crackdowns" happening at the moment....and making headlines almost daily.....and it seems to be working, by getting the people "on side" with the generals...

The real show will start in a few months....when the government gets down to the real business of running the country effectively.........

Will there be open and real transparency? History shows that military governments fail in this regard.....hopefully fot Thailand' sake, things do go well.

It is not surprising that to maintain the rage calls for strict laws and enforcement, not to put a fine line on this particular problem , it's called the Asian Allowance, simple as that , Asians cannot maintain and keep the pressure on, they lose sight of the subject and may not even think it is important enough, when you look at rubbish on the beaches , that's just cosmetic, have a look at all of Asia , very few countries are clean and I hate to say it, those countries that have direction have all been colonized by England and have a Semi Democratic Westminster system, Except Burma. that's another story of trust and being knifed in the back coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Trying to make sense of this post as I am not sure just what has been achieved yet apart from the public example being made of the beach vendors in Phuket. There are new traffic laws but no drive to ensure the current ones are obeyed, there are to be new alcohol rules but no drive to ensure the current ones are obeyed. The visa run thing I do understand and I think has the potential to be a good development.

There are non so blind as those who will not see. - John Heywood 1546

Staying willfully ignorant to avoid admitting the NCPO is do a better job for the people that previous elected governments shows a certain amount of bitterness; as often displayed by Thaksin sycophants.

• Like 2

If this is all you think has been achieved in the 3 months then you are in a denial state, it is obviously clear vast headway has been made, not only beach vendors in Phuket. Why would you want to play down the efforts ??

The topic I read made sense. Unsure? read more, communicate more with the people, get a grip with the progress.

• Like 2

I'm starting to warm to these Nation editorials, another good piece.

Ginjag - "whats it like on your planet?"

I have a an Idea you read the wrong post, you must be talking about the post I answered, care to apologize ??

#7 was the post that is in question, read my post you will find it totally agrees with the topic. Better you correct your post.

Edited by ginjag

The Generals exposing their assets to the public does nothing to server the countries interests...just more ammunition to be used by the malcontents to discredit the process...they could declare their assets...but not make it a matter of public record for a number of reasons...

Many populist "crackdowns" happening at the moment....and making headlines almost daily.....and it seems to be working, by getting the people "on side" with the generals...

The real show will start in a few months....when the government gets down to the real business of running the country effectively.........

Will there be open and real transparency? History shows that military governments fail in this regard.....hopefully fot Thailand' sake, things do go well.

Coup makers are always popular at first.Events have a way of changing perspectives, sooner rather than later.Still whatever one's views one would have to be churlish not to welcome many of the early reforms.The problem is that these remedial measures (beach clearances etc) while necessary are rather minor and in any event, going back to the thread subject matter, should really have been the responsibility of local administrations not central government.It should not have needed a military coup to tackle these "low hanginging fruit".The major areas for reform - education, military, police, tax, corruption remain untouched and to be fair it's asking too much of the Junta to do more than face the country in the right direction.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, a recent poll suggested that most Thais accept corruption in business and government as a way of life. Its kind of like cheating in school; it must be OK because everyone does it. Som num na - as you sow, so shall you reap.

• Like 1

The OP only proves you cant have too many chiefs and no indians. There also must be follow-through on any reasonable idea. That is why the junta is successful; they actually enforced implementation of ideas.

- actually paid rice farmers

- cleaned up significant taxi mafia in Phuket and other areas.

- confiscation of numerous caches of weapons that could have been used to violently protest.

Even in other parts of the world where so-called democracies exist.....there comes a point where govt sometimes must make unpopular decisions to protect an entire industry or critical infrastructure.

The phrase 'Too big to fail' comes to mind.

• Like 1

The Generals exposing their assets to the public does nothing to server the countries interests...just more ammunition to be used by the malcontents to discredit the process...they could declare their assets...but not make it a matter of public record for a number of reasons...

On the contrary I would have thought it essential that those charged with curbing corruption should demonstrate that they themselves are not corrupt.If a senior official has accumulated considerable wealth on the basis of rather low salary he should explain where that wealth came from.If believing this makes one "a malcontent discrediting the process" so be it.

• Like 1

Coup makers are always popular at first.Events have a way of changing perspectives, sooner rather than later.Still whatever one's views one would have to be churlish not to welcome many of the early reforms.The problem is that these remedial measures (beach clearances etc) while necessary are rather minor and in any event, going back to the thread subject matter, should really have been the responsibility of local administrations not central government.It should not have needed a military coup to tackle these "low hanginging fruit".The major areas for reform - education, military, police, tax, corruption remain untouched and to be fair it's asking too much of the Junta to do more than face the country in the right direction.

I have a sneaking feeling you are against the improvements ?? Only pick out Quote "beach clearances" and to cap it all you Quote." education-military-police-tax-corruption remain untouched" ??? have you been away for 3 months ?? as you are clearly not wanting to know.

• Like 2

The reality is that bringing such positive changes does not depend solely on the government in power

Having a government that cared about people, rather than just filling their pockets might be a good place to start.

Can you give an example of a caring government such as you describe anywhere in the Western World.