Motor Bike trip Kathmandu to bangkok and back...Q's and invite

hi guys,

i am intending to set up a motorbike business running extreme tours within asia.

i am German/australian based in Bangkok and Kathmandu.

Eventually it will be with Royal Enfields travelling from Kathmandu via north east India through Myanmar to Thailand.

I have a friend who runs a travel agency in Myanmar who is taking care of the visa and other permits required within Myanmar. He will provide us with a guide from the Tamu border in india to the thai border in Mae Sai.

our intial tour will be leaving Kathmandu september 15. When the business is fully set up and operational the 4000 km trip will be done in 31 days.

the duration of our first pilot tour is between 5 and 8 weeks. (Checking out hotels/restaurants/ sight) and taking it easy as well.

the return trip will leave bangkok arounfd middle of Jan and will also take 5-8 weeks, depending on how much fun we have)

we will be travelling with nepali numberplates

as i understand we do not need a carnet de passage for India, myanmar and thailand

A foreign motorbike can stay in Thailand for 30 days, longer stays will be penalized (how much?/per day?)

my friends from Germany will have private travel insurance which insures them in case of an accident. Currently i don't hold health insurance as in thailand i am insured through my wife's company (she is Thai)

Wondering if anyone has an idea regarding health insurance for myself (Aus passport, Non O 1 year marriage visa) which covers me in case of a motorbike accident. i have been to long out of australia to be eligible for a local travel insurance.

The other question i have is in regards to a motorbike insurance which covers third party personal and/or property in Nepal/india/myanmar and Thailand. (Nepalese registered bikes). Our Enfield bikes later will be registered in India.

Anyone potentially interested in joining this pilot tour let us know! we are fun guys, photographers, filmmakers, writers, adventurers...

• Like 2

Sounds like an amazing adventure. Sorry, can't help you with your questions regarding insurance...

For us here in Thailand it would make more sense if you start the trip in Bangkok, rather than Kathmandu. Any plans on doing that?

In any case, wish you good luck and keep us posted with info and pictures.

I'd love to do that trip... But as OR says, living in Thailand it would be a lot easier if it started in Bangkok. Insurance wise I don't think you'll find one policy that'll cover you for all of the countries, two minimum I suspect, One for Nepal/India & 1 for Thai/Burma...

A little too long even for the rotational oilmen, the longest I can take is 30 days for a ROUND trip. Once you have your route figured out it should be easily possible to make 8000km round trip in a month, which is only 266 km per day average. Even allowing every other day for exploring and sight seeing, it can be done in that time frame - 500 km per day every other day. Unless there's no paved roads of course for thousands of kilometers... IMHO