Pump prices to be cut sharply midnight: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now why would diesel up, and all the others are coming down, diesel is the cheapest to refine, guess they got to make up the deficit from somewhere, so lets make it diesel.

It ought to be because diesel is the most polluting. But since when has anyone in Thailand been concerned about the environment? Those trucks and buses that spew out black smoke are a disgrace.

Diesel is NOT "the most polluting"

I'll believe it when I see Shell drop its prices. Gasohol 95 has been extortionate for the last 2 years, and I don't see the big players abiding by this instruction whatsoever.

Bet they will. Absolutely unthinkable that they will not.

There's a Shell by my house that seems to do as they please. They always raise the price of Gasohol 2-3 days before it is announced that it go will up, and when it is announced that the price will go down, they also wait 2-3 days before reducing the price.

Now is your chance not to be chicken shit about it - report them if they don't comply with NCPO. Will you?

I actually did call Shell and tell them about this, and got the usual we'll look into it reply. I stopped using this particular station so don't know if anything changed.

Diesel was cheaper until the world couldn't do without it. Research and development of the diesel engine for cars would never have made the strides it has if diesel prices were higher than gasoline in the 70's & 80's. Since I drive only limited mileage now, I buy big petrol cars cheap because they lose market value fast.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'll believe it when I see Shell drop its prices. Gasohol 95 has been extortionate for the last 2 years, and I don't see the big players abiding by this instruction whatsoever.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the 95 and 91 refer to octane ratings of straight gasoline, the 'E' of E85 and E20 refers to percentage of ethanol in the gasohol (gasoline plus alcohol) fuel.

Wrong. Gasohol 95 is E10 gasoline with an octane rating of 95 containing 10% ethanol. There is also Gasohol 91 (E10 with an octane rating of 91).

There is only one 'straight' gasoline, thats benzine 95, benzine 91 has been phased out.

All fuels (even LPG) have an octane rating. Adding ethanol makes it higher which is why E20 generally has an octane rating of 95.

Wump, aren't you just repeating what DekDaeng wrote? Or am I reading something wrong here.

Dek Daeng stated in his post that the 95 or 91 refers to octane, and that is correct.

He then stated the E# refers to the percentage of ethanol to alcohol, which is again correct.

Then you counter his post by saying Gasohol 95 is E10 with 10% ethanol and 95 octane.

Please do educate me, where the wrong is. cheesy.gif

He is wrong in saying the octane rating refers only to straight gasoline. It also refers to the octane rating of blends like E10 or E20. You could use 'straight' benzene 91, add a bit of alcohol to make it Gasohol 95.

• Like 1

what is current price per gallon?

Would that be a US or UK gallon? :D That's why I love the metric system. It's the same world wide.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This answer is even dumber than the question. Since when does the UK price petrol in gallons?

Ha ha ha. My answer related to quantity not price. The OP is about the price of petrol in Thailand. The guy who asked the question is likely from the US or an old school Brit who still thinks in imperial quantities therefore the difference between a US and UK gallon is relevant when working out the equivalent cost of a gallon in Thailand dumbass....

Your answer doesn't make sense. Why would he wanna work out the cost of gallons in Thailand?! He probably wants to compare the price here to the fuel price in the US, there is no other logical reason.

For future reference if you are too lazy to look it up:

you can type everything in Google and it gives the answer straight away like a calculator without opening any other pages, eg.

40 litres in gallons or

2000 THB in USD

etc.

Your answer doesn't make sense. Why would he wanna work out the cost of gallons in Thailand?! He probably wants to compare the price here to the fuel price in the US, there is no other logical reason.

For future reference if you are too lazy to look it up:

you can type everything in Google and it gives the answer straight away like a calculator without opening any other pages, eg.

40 litres in gallons or

2000 THB in USD

etc.

You kind of answered your own question there. I'm glad you managed to work it out.

Thanks for the Google tip. I've never been able to work out what that site was for. I won't need it to work out the price of a gallon though because I don't care. I'm a metric man as I said. It was SF who wanted to know the price of a gallon. Perhaps you could enlighten him to the dark arts of Google.

ok then,

how much is the current average price of a litre?

at the time I was there, I recall average of 30 baht per liter, is that about right?

my old school math tells me the price of gas in Thailand is higher than the USA

it is about 1200 baht for 40 liters, or just about 10 gallons

those 10 gallons here are $34.00 about 1,000 Baht, but in Thailand 20% more

I never understood that, but w/e

Edited by SteveFong

Populist policy?? I thought the Junta was cracking down on these.

Whether it's Thaksin carrying out the populist policies, or the junta is carrying out populist policies, well, it still benefits more Thai people than it harms.

Populist policies make people happy, it's what they want, it's what wins votes and elections. I certainly don't have a problem with populist policies, whether it's by Thaksin or the junta !

:)

the blue gasoline comes to $6.00 a US gallon, for what is 93 Octane, to Thailands 95

Here its $3.90 a gallon

the raping of Thailand doesnt stop at the pump apparently

and what is with the beer?

1,200 baht for a 6 pack of small Hoegaarden, and here it is 270 Baht for the same 6 pack

when I think of Thailand, the word rape is ever present

Wow. Now that brings some happiness

Except for diesel users,but at least its not going up.

regards worgeordie

Did you miss that diesel will go up by 14 satang ?

Still too low and heavily subsidised by the government, which is an anachronism.

Meanwhile I just bought a car with Diesel engine...

Please note again, global price drop. forget the propaganda-re populist polices.

I'll point you to the article in the nation - it is the excise tax that will be cut from bt7 per litre to bt3.89 for 95-octane. This is a tax cut, and represents an increase in the overall fuel subsidy. The logic that the tax can be cut because the global prices have decreased does not make much sense - a global price decrease should result in a local price decrease and the excise tax should remain the same.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Petrol-prices-down-as-excise-taxes-are-cut-30241976.html

Petrol prices are expected to go down from Bt1-Bt3.89 per litre at midnight, as the National Energy Policy Committee approved a cut in excise taxes.

The committee considered that the taxes can be cut now that global petrol prices ease.

As of today, the Excise Department collects Bt7 per litre on 95-octane petrol, Bt6.30 on gasohol 95 and gasohol 91, and Bt5.60 on gasohol E20.

Following the cut, 95-octane petrol price will be slashed by Bt3.89 per litre. Gasohol 95 prices will be down by Bt2.12, gasohol 91 by Bt1.86, and E20 by Bt1. The excise tax of Bt5 per litre on diesel has been waived since 2011, which costs over Bt7 billion in subsidies per month.

ACM Prajin Juntong, a deputy chief of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), is chairman of the committee.

Global petrol prices ease today as the US reported an increase in stockpiles. The release was ahead of the Labour Day holiday that marks the end of the country’s peak-demand driving season.

At 8pm, a caravan will depart Energy Complex to check the existing stocks at oil depots and fuel stations, before the tax cut will take effect. The caravan will be led by Energy Permanent Secretary Areepong Bhoo-chaoom.

Doesn't a global lower oil price give governments some leverage ?? direct or indirect ??

If the wholesale price of cheese was reduced abroad, then the price could ease here ?? yes or no ??

Or as an image:

19350744xz.png

Funny to read US fellows writing about being "raped at the pump" laugh.png

You have absolutely no idea about fuel prices in Europe.

Europe has salaries

Thailand has minimum wages

And, Europe started all this global warming nonsense to destroy the US,

its working

Or as an image:

19350744xz.png

Funny to read US fellows writing about being "raped at the pump" laugh.png

You have absolutely no idea about fuel prices in Europe.

Europe has salaries

Thailand has minimum wages

And, Europe started all this global warming nonsense to destroy the US,

its working

Global warming nonsense? Seriously?

Do you think the ice and the glaciers are melting because of microwave radiation from space?

The US does not need Europe to destroy it. They are perfectly able to do that themselves.

Populist policy?? I thought the Junta was cracking down on these.

Global declining oil prices, do you mean Global populist policy ??? or another anti army wise crack that went wrong.

You don't get it.... it is a populist policy as it is the excise tax and not the oil price that goes down on the pump, also if it would be the global oil price, why diesel goes up ?

This excise tax populist policy is only for the mass public who drives motorcycles !

Please note again, global price drop. forget the propaganda-re populist polices.

I'll point you to the article in the nation - it is the excise tax that will be cut from bt7 per litre to bt3.89 for 95-octane. This is a tax cut, and represents an increase in the overall fuel subsidy. The logic that the tax can be cut because the global prices have decreased does not make much sense - a global price decrease should result in a local price decrease and the excise tax should remain the same.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Petrol-prices-down-as-excise-taxes-are-cut-30241976.html

Petrol prices are expected to go down from Bt1-Bt3.89 per litre at midnight, as the National Energy Policy Committee approved a cut in excise taxes.

The committee considered that the taxes can be cut now that global petrol prices ease.

As of today, the Excise Department collects Bt7 per litre on 95-octane petrol, Bt6.30 on gasohol 95 and gasohol 91, and Bt5.60 on gasohol E20.

Following the cut, 95-octane petrol price will be slashed by Bt3.89 per litre. Gasohol 95 prices will be down by Bt2.12, gasohol 91 by Bt1.86, and E20 by Bt1. The excise tax of Bt5 per litre on diesel has been waived since 2011, which costs over Bt7 billion in subsidies per month.

ACM Prajin Juntong, a deputy chief of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), is chairman of the committee.

Global petrol prices ease today as the US reported an increase in stockpiles. The release was ahead of the Labour Day holiday that marks the end of the country’s peak-demand driving season.

At 8pm, a caravan will depart Energy Complex to check the existing stocks at oil depots and fuel stations, before the tax cut will take effect. The caravan will be led by Energy Permanent Secretary Areepong Bhoo-chaoom.

Doesn't a global lower oil price give governments some leverage ?? direct or indirect ??

If the wholesale price of cheese was reduced abroad, then the price could ease here ?? yes or no ??

Yes, but the price would go down at the source , and because of that the amount of tax follows, it is a populist rule to cut on taxes !