why donnt people move at green lights

opalred

That is not just a problem in Thailand. The same happens in Denmark. Often cars in front of me are not ready to move for green light, not have put the gear level in first gear facepalm.gif

Show patience. Better safe than sorry. biggrin.png

Agreed. It seems that many want to hurry to get to the next red light or stopped traffic down the roadway.

Easy Does It

• Like 1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Usually they are just waiting for all the red light runners to go thru first, has happened to me many times, especially small motorcycles that come blasting thru the intersection. Also on the other hand, I've seen many on motorcycles go before the light turns green. Amazing Thailand again and again.

It looks like the guy in the first pick is a "little" excited.

whistling.gif An intelligent person waits until a couple of seconds pass before you pull out into the intersection.

And you look both ways to see if someone is running the Red light.

That's because there are those idiots who think, "What the h - ll, I can make it", and run the Red light.

So at he Green light, you hesitate that few seconds to see if there is one of those idiots running the red light before you move.

It is called "defensive driving".

Never assume the other driver is as intelligent as you.

Truly the first one to speak sense on this topic.. wai.gif

whistling.gif An intelligent person waits until a couple of seconds pass before you pull out into the intersection.

And you look both ways to see if someone is running the Red light.

That's because there are those idiots who think, "What the h - ll, I can make it", and run the Red light.

So at he Green light, you hesitate that few seconds to see if there is one of those idiots running the red light before you move.

It is called "defensive driving".

Never assume the other driver is as intelligent as you.

Good post - and yes, defensive driving is essential in Thailand.

Posters have referred to idiots running red lights. Of course it happens and the 3 or 4 second delay between crossing traffic going to red and your light going to green is a help. Reference to Pattaya (notably Sukhumvit/Soi Siam Country Club - I would add Sukhumvit/Pattaya Nua) identifies the need to take additional care in city areas where you know this practice is more widespread.

I am not sure that too many Thais give the same level of thought to these situations. Consider your own town or area where you live. You invariably know the sequence of light changes and, for example, when the traffic is moving from your left you know that you are next. You can probably see the green light that they are responding to. You may well see when it changes to amber/red. You can at least put the car in gear and be prepared to proceed. In the example quoted there is really very little chance of any risk from vehicles to your right so one eye on 'red light runners' coming from the left should be all that is required before setting off. That is, of course, in addition to the standard double check of all motorcy movements around you, watching for guy on your left making a turn to the right across your bow - or a guy to your right making a left turn !

Because they think the lights are Christmas Trees.

When they do eventually realize that actually green means "you may go now" did you ever wonder why it takes them so long to go through the gears.? It seems to take at last a kilometer before they have gone through them and then suddenly they're off like a bullet out of a gun. .....The joys of motoring (in Thailand).

Usually they are just waiting for all the red light runners to go thru first, has happened to me many times, especially small motorcycles that come blasting thru the intersection. Also on the other hand, I've seen many on motorcycles go before the light turns green. Amazing Thailand again and again.

Those photos were not taken in Thailand.

Why did you post them as if they were ?

Waiting for the inevitable bus, merc, pick up or motor cy which is running a red light.

In some circles it is called self preservation and good logic.

For smug superior foreigners they view it as chance to complain.

I think you are crediting 'non-foreigners' with an ability to make a reasoned judgement where one does not exist.

Waiting for the inevitable bus, merc, pick up or motor cy which is running a red light.

I think you are crediting 'non-foreigners' with an ability to make a reasoned judgement where one does not exist.

Would that include me too? Just wondering.

I have now had it explained to me in the words of one syllable that a farang will understand@

A green light is an offer to proceed. If you decide that you have more important matters to attend to on your phone, youmay ignore it. A red light is an offer to stop. If you choose to ignore it and proceed. you are probably dancing with death, but it is still your choice whether to proceed or not! Most people fail to understand the basic premise of Thai life DO NOT TELL ME WHAT I CAN nor CANNOT DO. I AM THAI. I DO WHAT I WANT

Thank you

Edited by hotsoup

Ooooh! I am not sure about that because:-

1. I don't know if you are a non-foreigner, and

2. I don't know if you are someone who pro-actively weighs up all the risks before setting off from a set of traffic lights - and then applies a logical solution when moving off.

• Like 1

samran, if the "inevitable bus, merc, pick up or motor cy which is running a red light" does not actually materialise, how long would you be prepared to wait before setting off ? biggrin.png

The argument about passive driving / look out for red light jumpers does not convince me.

Would be OK for the first row, but not for the whole bunch creeping behind.

These people never had a single hour of proper driving lessons!

They simple don't know how to handle a car, specially with manual gear.

When I stand in first row I look out for jumpers then accelarate in a completely normal matter as usual in my home country.

(something like 50% throttle control).

After about 10 sec I almost loose sight of the other cars in the mirror.

A minute later (or even more) they will pass me in high speed.

So funny.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Ooooh! I am not sure about that because:-

1. I don't know if you are a non-foreigner, and

2. I don't know if you are someone who pro-actively weighs up all the risks before setting off from a set of traffic lights - and then applies a logical solution when moving off.

But I thought you knew enough to characterise nearly 70 million people in one go. Drive here much by any chance? Me, only 20 years.

@billd7666...did they at least 'make a play' in trying to make you pay???

No. The cops were on my side all the way.

Basically all the police were interested in was a solution.

I called my wife to ask them whay should happen and they said that we should sort it out between us and that they were on my side. The only hold up would have been if I wanted hospital treatment and playing the hero I said I was pretty much OK.

The next day I thought that I was stupid not to go for a checkup. I survived the accident but I didn't get the sympathy vote from my wife though I did get some TLC from my 8 year old son.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

times might be hard but those red trucks will do anything if they see possible fare on side of road will cut across in front of you at lights

or in outside lane no blinkers just cut across they are oblivious to anything around just to get a fare

As allways a lot of constructive comments. And as allways a lot of stupid comments.

I realy wish menbers there don't have no sensible bringing to the subject, would stay out with there feeble-minded comments.

Although we may disagree on a lot, so let's at least agree that we must treat each other with respect.

I know I put my neck out with this, but I cannot help it.wai.gif Sorry !

From my observations , when you have maybe 10 or 15 bikes in front of the first car and the light changes to green , the bikes will move slowly the first seconds so the cars need to wait for the bikes to pass, this is normal in Thailand where bikes are everywhere and you will avoid accidents this way.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1