Most Thais want temples to declare assets: survey

Lite Beer

Most Thais want temples to declare assets: survey

BANGKOK: -- Up to 87.24 per cent of Thai Buddhists see that Buddhist temples should declare their assets, an opinion survey by the National Institute of Development Administration found.

The survey was carried out among 1,254 Buddhists on Thursday and Friday.

The survey found that 9.33 per cent of the respondents did not agree with the proposal to require temples to declare assets while 3.43 per cent had no comment.

The survey also found that 73.84 per cent of the respondents wanted monks to declare their assets while 21.13 per cent disagreed and 5.03 per cent had no comment.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Most-thais-want-temples-to-declare-assets-survey-30242186.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-31

• Like 1

"Most Thais want temples to declare assets: survey"

Yeah, where the hell did all the money go that we donate for so called charities? And how come that certain monks become so wealthy and can travel worldwide to escape punishments with only arrest warrants as for reference?

• Like 1

in this day and age of jet setting monks owning their own private helicopters, having a fleet of cars as well as huge residences and land holdings it might be a good idea. For people that are supposed to avoid these "monetary" holdings and lead simple lives some certainly have avoided being what they are meant to be, this would really lift the lid on graft and corruption inside the monks and their private lives.

in this day and age of jet setting monks owning their own private helicopters, having a fleet of cars as well as huge residences and land holdings it might be a good idea. For people that are supposed to avoid these "monetary" holdings and lead simple lives some certainly have avoided being what they are meant to be, this would really lift the lid on graft and corruption inside the monks and their private lives.

More like opening a can of worms.. :(

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is something that better never happens. Shock therapy for a whole nation?

The Monarchy and the "Wat's" is the glue that holds this nation together.

Cheers.

More like opening a can of worms.. sad.png

I hope you are kidding. And when they are done in Thailand, perhaps someone could invite the authorities to investigate the dodgy religious financial dealings in my own country... Including income tax-exempt status, absence of property tax, and awarding of strings-free money.

It would be in the interests of all Thai Buddhists to name all those who either answered "No" or refused to make a comment.

Well, obviously not all, which is why it should happen.

Those against disclosure of their cash and assets could then explain why at a large televised public meeting.

it would have to take place where there was a heliport and lots of limo parking of course.

After the meeting a tour of the luxury shops could be organised for some retail therapy after such an arduous event for the attendees.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Cheers.

More like opening a can of worms.. sad.png

I hope you are kidding. And when they are done in Thailand, perhaps someone could invite the authorities to investigate the dodgy religious financial dealings in my own country... Including income tax-exempt status, absence of property tax, and awarding of strings-free money.

Not to worry, the US Internal Revenue Service is in the process of cracking down on everything. First the world as a whole, then European Banks. All done. Next target: The Vatican, then the Buddhist Wat's in Thailand and last, their own state of DELAWARE.

Cheers.

With all the new social media out there, half the population having phones with good cameras in their pockets, and most of those people on facebook all the day with high speed data access it's getting more and more difficult to keep secrets.

Monks to declare their assets? Waste of time.

1) all declarations would be identical - zero assets (one requirement of being a monk).

2) what's the point of creating paperwork if there are no systems/resources to check the veracity of the declarations?

What the Buddhist hierarchy should have is an independent ethics group who have some powers and some teeth - how many times have we seen monks behaving badly and the top council does nothing? The rate of de-frocking should be much higher.

• Like 1

The survey found that 9.33 per cent of the respondents did not agree while 3.43 per cent had no comment. (so where is the remaining 87% + who agreed?) AND The survey also found that 73.84 per cent of the respondents wanted monks to declare their assets while 21.13 per cent disagreed and 5.03 per cent had no comment.

These are TAT numbers, that are contradictory in three sentences.

Cheers.

Well my wife is a monarchist, more than the usual Thais (if this is possible) and a conservative Buddhist.

But she disregards most temples and monks (once she almost slapped one). Her words, most in the cities are rotten down with a few exceptions the monks in the forest are far better.

But in fact Buddhists don't need temples or monks. They must think for themself (but a monk can give good advise for consideration) and try to improve.

(Her words not mine....I am Atheist)

• Like 1

Monks to declare their assets? Waste of time.

1) all declarations would be identical - zero assets (one requirement of being a monk).

2) what's the point of creating paperwork if there are no systems/resources to check the veracity of the declarations?

What the Buddhist hierarchy should have is an independent ethics group who have some powers and some teeth - how many times have we seen monks behaving badly and the top council does nothing? The rate of de-frocking should be much higher.

your idea is right, but an authoritarian group who punish people who do wrong doesn't fit well into the ideology.

Even where it fits (roman catholic) with the Pope direct gods planet manager there is a lot of resistance to make clear steps.

• Like 1

A little wonder that the Islamic faith is growing at such a rapid pace when you look at the practices of all the other mainstream religions.

A courageous statement. But I am afraid you have a good point here. Unfortunately!

Cheers.

There must be millions in some of these bank accounts somewhere.

And that's only the half of it. It's better not to comment on this one. wink.png

According to the National office of Buddhism, there are in excess of 37,500 Wats in Thailand... and counting.

One of the covenants regarding donations is that each and every Wat has to send an annual report to the NOB.

The office said last year (on the heels of the Lear jet flying monk scandal who got away with 300 million Baht) that only about 1,500 do so sporadically. No further comment necessary.

Recently went to a temple out in the sticks , it was an official merit making day ( I don't know which one )

I was there waiting on the wife for about 90 mins. In that time there were thousands and thousands of baht given for candles , incense sticks , candles etc.

On the way to the main part of the temple there were beggars on either side of the walk way.

I was hearing shouts of you you ( my pet hate ) and people pointing to the beggars expecting me to be putting money in to their bowls , which I ignored.

My question is , this must have gone on all over the country , and it is not just one day , it can go on for weeks , so where does all the money go ?

I thought they would at least help the poor and needy , then they would not have to beg.

There must be millions in some of these bank accounts somewhere.

To be honest with you I really don't know. But it has always been my understanding that if in need you could always get a meal at a Wat.

I agree they should be responsible to the authorities both religious and Governmental ones. That would help curb the abuse that a few of them practice.

It would also be nice to see an accounting of the NGO's some of them I am sure run a very high overhead. Also supply flights around the world.

After the search for untold wealth in Thailand is finished, Rome should be the next target.

I think you will find that all though they do have a lot of money most of their wealth is tied up in art and other ancient artifacts. I of course am not including the property and the churches that stand in them in the different Parishes. Can you even put a $ figure on the Sisten chapel? Can't spell worth a darn but you know what I mean.