Buying a one way ticket from USA

That has always been a commercial website. Siam Legal is not a sponsor of the forum.

Is there a list of TV sponsors available to all members or is that only available to a select few? If there is how can I access it?

Look at the right side of the page and you will see "Sponsored by.." those with adverts under it are the sponsors of this forum.

There is no list for distribution.

That's kind of the point. With a one way ticket, no visa, no ticket out, you might encounter a major hassle and you might not. Like I said I encountered a hassle on a returning RT ticket with a reentry permit because the agent was looking for a a VISA and didn't understand the concept of a reentry permit. People should know the risks and decide for themselves if they want to take proactive action. Having a visa or a ticket out is such action.

People should know the risks and decide for themselves if they want to take proactive action. Having a visa or a ticket out is such action.

Has mentioned two or three times already there is no need to have a visa or a ticket out. Other methods are explained at

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754481-boarding-to-thailand-without-return-ticket/

Edited by paz

People should know the risks and decide for themselves if they want to take proactive action. Having a visa or a ticket out is such action.

Has mentioned two or three times already there is no need to have a visa or a ticket out. Other methods are explained at

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754481-boarding-to-thailand-without-return-ticket/

I think some of those suggestions would not be as SOLID as the visa or ticket out but you are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine.

• Like 2

I've never been asked either, but the last time that I flew into Thailand was on 29 March 1998 and I haven't left since!

And I admire you for it! Thank you for sharing your recent experiences.laugh.png

I think he was pointing out that things have become more strict since 1998.

Some years ago when I wanted to fly from Dubai to Bangkok on Thai Airways on a one way ticket as a tourist because the timing for an onward flight to another country was uncertain and I intended to buy that ticket in Thailand, the Thai agent would not book the flight for me ... can't recall if I planned to use a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa, but I think the latter. She said I would not be allowed to board. So I ended buying a return ticket ... don't recall if I ever got a refund or changed that ticket to the other destination. I think the roundtrip fare was not much more costly than the one way and it was paid for by an employer anyway.

These days I'm fairly certain airlines are even more wary of getting stuck flying someone out.

Same agent some years later when I had my non-imm O-A, no problem with the one way flight.

Edited by Suradit69

I've never been asked either, but the last time that I flew into Thailand was on 29 March 1998 and I haven't left since!

And I admire you for it! Thank you for sharing your recent experiences.laugh.png

I think he was pointing out that things have become more strict since 1998.

Some years ago when I wanted to fly from Dubai to Bangkok on Thai Airways on a one way ticket as a tourist because the timing for an onward flight to another country was uncertain and I intended to buy that ticket in Thailand, the Thai agent would not book the flight for me ... can't recall if I planned to use a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa, but I think the latter. She said I would not be allowed to board. So I ended buying a return ticket ... don't recall if I ever got a refund or changed that ticket to the other destination. I think the roundtrip fare was not much more costly than the one way and it was paid for by an employer anyway.

These days I'm fairly certain airlines are even more wary of getting stuck flying someone out.

Same agent some years later when I had my non-imm O-A, no problem with the one way flight.

It may be, but I've only been questioned about a visa twice, once in Dubai, 2012, I was returning from Afghanistan, one way. Had a conversation with the supervisor, but that was it. And, trying to leave Thailand, I was headed back to Iraq and had to go through Kuwait, one way. didn't have a visa for Kuwait, but explained I was going onward, and had a letter of authorization from the military.

In the Op's case, he is in the U.S. and I don't see any reason not to at least get a visa of some kind while there, seems rather silly to jump through hoops trying to book reservations, etc. that aren't going to be used.

Edited by beechguy

In my view, there are ways to make a one way ticket much cheaper than RT. Yes, I know some airlines price them the same or more. But there are still other ways. Like finding airlines that do discount the OW and also definitely ticket CONSOLIDATORS can do a OW cheaper than RT. Cheers.

One can buy a very cheap ticket out of Thailand to Malaysia leaving within 30 days, etc. That should work if challenged. Again, in my opinion if no visa, having an AIR ticket has more credibility to the boarding airline than a LAND itinerary.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Sorry for the late reply. Was on the road for a week. Thanks folks for the tips.

So here is the latest thoughts. I will get myself 2 tourist visas which will get me through til Feb. Then I will get a retirement visa which will last a year (til Feb 2016). I can travel back in Oct 2015 on that visa. I can travel back every Oct. on a retirement visa that doesn't expire until the following Feb.

Sound right?

Edited by jimmytrees

If you want your future one-year extensions of stay to start and end in February, you have to look carefully at the timeline.

1. You should apply for the change from tourist to non-O visa with at least 15 days remaining on your permission to stay. The earliest and immigration office will accept the application may vary from one office to the next.
  2. With the non-O visa, you get a new permission to stay, for 90 days. Some immigration offices add these 90 days on to your existing permission to stay, others make it effective from the date of application.
  3. The one-year retirement extension starts to run after the 90 days from the non-O visa have run out.

So here is the latest thoughts. I will get myself 2 tourist visas which will get me through til Feb. Then I will get a retirement visa which will last a year (til Feb 2016). I can travel back in Oct 2015 on that visa. I can travel back every Oct. on a retirement visa that doesn't expire until the following Feb.

Sound right?

Just don't get your tourist visa from the Los Angeles consulate, as they (MFA) are more anal about tickets than either Immigration or the airlines:

Here's their requirement for a tourist visa:

Copies of airline ticket:

Confirmed onward ticket – showing flights into and out of Thailand. Either paper ticket or confirmed e-ticket is acceptable. Itinerary is NOT accepted. If applying for 2 entries, ticket must show 2 entries into Thailand.

I note that DC and Chicago consulates will still accept an 'itinerary' instead of a confirmed ticket for their tourist visa issuance. LA, however, is off the map with their requirement.

Oh, just looked at booking a Korean Air flight into CNX. Before you get very far into the ticketing process, here's their pop up warning:

Please note travelers entering the country without a visa must have a return or onward ticket. Travelers without a proper ticket may be denied boarding upon check-in.

Nice to be warned up-front.