Chiang Mai shopping malls,what does the future hold for them?

worgeordie

I have just returned from Central Festival Mall,the biggest and best Mall

in Chiang Mai,in my opinion, spent a couple of hours there,and one thing

i noticed ,very few people are actually purchasing anything,lots of window

shoppers like myself,but very few carrying purchases,I suppose its a day out

for people,and better than sitting in the house.

BUT shops need to make sales and profits to survive,Central its self will be doing

OK,but what about the shops paying rent,I would be very surprised if many of

them even get enough profit to pay their electricity bills,never mind wages,rents,

and other sundry expenses,I don't think the spending power of Chiang Mai people

warrants so many Malls.

If this Mall was in the UK,US, i am sure it would be heaving with shoppers actually

buying stuff,loaded down with bags,the shops in Thailand don't have the high wage

bills,property taxes,and utility bills, but in my eyes the future does not look good for

Malls in Chiang Mai,the strongest will survive,but others will falter i am sure,once a

few tenants move out,due to lack of sales,high rents,that will be the beginning of the

end.

Regards Worgeordie

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a resent article on TV, that Thais started spending money on purchasing goods.

Now, if you believe the Thai surveys, may be they meant they are thinking of spending money in the future.

If that is so, there will be no problem for the Chiang Mai or other malls around the country.

Retail is seasonal, most of the year the stores barely or do not break ever, then in the west sales explode at Christmas time, here it is probably several times a year around New Years, regular and Chinese, Songkran, possibly back to school...

Do agree, probably too many malls in CM now, some will go the way of Tantrapan.

• Like 1

having a abundance of shopping malls in c/mai is no different to the following

7/11..hairdressers...new cars..tuk tuks..red taxis.. noodle shops.. restaruants..condos ..moo baans.. massage shops....bars..coffee shops..tour operators..golf courses

thats off the top,of my good looking melon,

simply no logic, but they keep tumbling in like oranges,

but if you look to makros,testcos,rimpings,big c new car franchises etc etc. only open at selected venues,where they can vialibly trade at a nice profit

my guess to the o/p that the malls are backed by black money,and i will leave it at that

Edited by evenstevens
  • Like 2

KSK & airport plaza will survive. KSK is where locals shop. Airport plaza is where chinese shop before flying home.

My experience of malls is visiting toy shops for prezzies. Toysrus, whenever I visit is EMPTY!! No other customers. Prices are ridiculous. Central at the other 3 malls the same. Might see westerners, but are they buying? Again, prices way too high. Lazada very limited for toys. Amazon, please open in Thailand wai2.gif

Best thing to do with festival is to rip out all the shops & convert to a big multi storey car park for the new skytrain users to get into the city laugh.png

Edited by MESmith

Another thing that bugs me with Central dept store. I want a new watch. Timex or Casio. They've got tons on display, but prices are hidden. They all look similar quality but prices vary significantly amongst different models. Can't be bothered to keep asking the prices.....

Buy from Lazada. Prices are easier to read.

And then there's all the BS about 50-80% off everything. Why not just put the correct price on the tag? A couple of Nerf guns at airport plaza were advertized as 50% off for this month. Still way above amazon. And made in China. Hope Amazon open up in Thailand and all these malls get a reality check.

• Like 1

Another thing that bugs me with Central dept store. I want a new watch. Timex or Casio. They've got tons on display, but prices are hidden. They all look similar quality but prices vary significantly amongst different models. Can't be bothered to keep asking the prices.....

Buy from Lazada. Prices are easier to read.

And then there's all the BS about 50-80% off everything. Why not just put the correct price on the tag? A couple of Nerf guns at airport plaza were advertized as 50% off for this month. Still way above amazon. And made in China. Hope Amazon open up in Thailand and all these malls get a reality check.

They have stacks of Casio watches at good prices.

In the Norcal area the malls are just scary......the amount of unleased store fronts is at an all time high.....people by in large to not like the inconvenience of mall shopping & there are plenty of other outlets - shopping centers - box stores carrying similar products at better prices with a quicker in/out and easier parking available......

I noticed the same thing about Festival + it's huge making it look all the more emptier - like an empty atrium of a cruise ship.....the gal I had doing my hair cuts moved there from AP and the price went from 200B to 500B.....found another place.....Festival seems over ambitious storewise and consumer costwise and I don't think it will be successful....I also feel Promanada is even in a worse situation as probably the most inconvenient layout someone could have ever foisted off the plans for.....good design for an airport though.....

Airport Plaza seems to be ticking along without skipping a beat....that's where we go as we are more familiar with it thus making it easier to shop.....possibly there is money in the neighborhoods surrounding them to support them but I just don't see it.....if anything Festival has it one up over the other new ones location wise......

Central Festival is attractive to Brits due to Marks & Spencers + Waitrose product in the food hall. Otherwise, Airport Plaza and even KSK beat it hands down on variety and price for the majority of shoppers.

IMHO the tenant mix will evolve at CF to fall more inline with AP ... eventually.

I was there this morning, bought two ice creams and a steam iron (Robinsons sale 100bht cheaper than the same model in Makro).

Doing my bit to make Central Festival a success.

CF is my favourite Mall in CM, always a good selection of boots on sale in Robinsons, often at a real 40% off.

My pal bought a 48" LCD in powerbuy there last week, cheapest shop in CM by 2,000bht (reduced from 22k to 20k)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

In the Norcal area the malls are just scary......the amount of unleased store fronts is at an all time high.....people by in large to not like the inconvenience of mall shopping & there are plenty of other outlets - shopping centers - box stores carrying similar products at better prices with a quicker in/out and easier parking available......

I noticed the same thing about Festival + it's huge making it look all the more emptier - like an empty atrium of a cruise ship.....the gal I had doing my hair cuts moved there from AP and the price went from 200B to 500B.....found another place.....Festival seems over ambitious storewise and consumer costwise and I don't think it will be successful....I also feel Promanada is even in a worse situation as probably the most inconvenient layout someone could have ever foisted off the plans for.....good design for an airport though.....

Airport Plaza seems to be ticking along without skipping a beat....that's where we go as we are more familiar with it thus making it easier to shop.....possibly there is money in the neighborhoods surrounding them to support them but I just don't see it.....if anything Festival has it one up over the other new ones location wise......

It is only my opinion but I believe the Promenada was built with an eye to the future rather than based on the today figures. I like the mall myself as it is laid out in such a way that it can have a lot of people with out seeming crowded. But as you say today they are hurting.

Maya to me was nothing special. Mind you I am interested in the roof when they get that completed.

KSG is just plain confusing with only one elevator I suppose a lot of people don't find it that way as they have been going there for so long. As for the Airport it is my favorite over all.

Central seems to have a lot of people just wandering around. Could be if it was a little more laid out like the Promenada it might not seem that way. It is my over all favorite for movies and I like the Deli selection in the Tops food store there much better than the one in the airport.

They will all outlast this thread, i hope.

Promenada will be the most popular with expats and Thai's educated elsewhere.

Central festival with no windows like mad suan kaew and airport plaza is another "more of the same" Thai style place, it will succeed 101%.

Airport Plaza neds some TLC but will do ok, Kad Suan Kaew should be demolished due to it being a fire hazard. Or gut it and build the sky train car park in there.

Could always do with a few more malls as well, can never have too many.

KSK & airport plaza will survive. KSK is where locals shop. Airport plaza is where chinese shop before flying home.

My experience of malls is visiting toy shops for prezzies. Toysrus, whenever I visit is EMPTY!! No other customers. Prices are ridiculous. Central at the other 3 malls the same. Might see westerners, but are they buying? Again, prices way too high. Lazada very limited for toys. Amazon, please open in Thailand wai2.gif

Best thing to do with festival is to rip out all the shops & convert to a big multi storey car park for the new skytrain users to get into the city laugh.png

the only malls i ever see people actually carrying shopping bags of goods is in KSK and Airport plaza. i agree, they will survive and prosper. the others....who knows.....nice cinemas though i must admit.

i doubt shops like Omega, Hermes, Bally....(or the like) will remain open much longer. Bangkok yes...Thais do buy Bally shoes in Bangkok. but how many people in C.M. buy stuff like that? even well to do Thais in C.M. have a more casual lifestyle.

we went to Toys R Us here to buy a gift and couldn't believe the prices. we left and the wife found the same item she was looking for on the Internet for 65% less.

the only malls i ever see people actually carrying shopping bags of goods is in KSK and Airport plaza. i agree, they will survive and prosper. the others....who knows.....nice cinemas though i must admit.

i doubt shops like Omega, Hermes, Bally....(or the like) will remain open much longer. Bangkok yes...Thais do buy Bally shoes in Bangkok. but how many people in C.M. buy stuff like that? even well to do Thais in C.M. have a more casual lifestyle.

we went to Toys R Us here to buy a gift and couldn't believe the prices. we left and the wife found the same item she was looking for on the Internet for 65% less.

Toys r us are the same price as other toy stores here.

So buy your toys at 65 % less (hard to believe) then pay your Fed ex / UPS / EMS charges, then Thai import tax...yada yada yada.

If you think the retail giants like them are just silly folks plonking stores here and there at random then you are sadly mistaken. They see long term. They will be around a long time yet.

Edited by DaamNaam

Was at Central fest few months ago and bought LED tv, fridge, massage chairs etc for new home, spend 300,000 above and got a VIP parking card......and till now, on and off still do shoping at H&M, M&S etc especially during the 70% salesgiggle.gif . Not too many customer but sometime just the right time of sales promotion they did to attract some shoppers.thumbsup.gif

Central Festival is attractive to Brits due to Marks & Spencers + Waitrose product in the food hall. Otherwise, Airport Plaza and even KSK beat it hands down on variety and price for the majority of shoppers.

IMHO the tenant mix will evolve at CF to fall more inline with AP ... eventually.

Don't know about that Rob, I wouldn't walk around the corner for either of these places.

M&S in KSK wasn't exactly a raving success, it went belly up after years of selling very little

Waitrose products are way overpriced here and are nothing special.

Agree with you on KSK & AP

If the future of malls in Thailand looks anything like the present in the USA, then it doesn't look good. Malls are going belly up all the time in the USA thanks mainly to the internet. Internet shopping is still in its infancy in Thailand. Provided the government doesn't take steps to hinder its growth, that should severely limit the rise of the malls in Thailand.

• Like 2

Toys r us are the same price as other toy stores here.

So buy your toys at 65 % less (hard to believe) then pay your Fed ex / UPS / EMS charges, then Thai import tax...yada yada yada.

If you think the retail giants like them are just silly folks plonking stores here and there at random then you are sadly mistaken. They see long term. They will be around a long time yet.

I'm really surprised to see the comments about prices - I actually think the prices in Toys R Us are great; surprisingly cheap in fact! Central Robinsons us where you need to head to see ridiculous prices.

Endless special offers in Toys R Us at the moment. Monopoly, dual language for 500 Baht is a good example. Ridiculously cheap...

• Like 1

Took a stroll around the Maya Plaza what a mausoleum. You could not find a TV set for sale in the whole place. The eye glass stores prices were laughable 20,000 bahts and up on promotion. KFC was the only bargain

that is my point

They won't be able to amortise the development costs based on retailers in there paying rents that only reflect selling half price Parmesan cheese and KFC?unsure.png

Harbor Mall just down the road started off well but there are quite a few vacant shops there now

post-149848-0-62001200-1410063508_thumb.

Edited by Asiantravel

They will all outlast this thread, i hope.

Promenada will be the most popular with expats and Thai's educated elsewhere.

Central festival with no windows like mad suan kaew and airport plaza is another "more of the same" Thai style place, it will succeed 101%.

Airport Plaza neds some TLC but will do ok, Kad Suan Kaew should be demolished due to it being a fire hazard. Or gut it and build the sky train car park in there.

Could always do with a few more malls as well, can never have too many.

i was told Kad Suan Kaew is going to be refurbished by the owners of Paragon in Bangkok