What have you learned in Thailand? What is still surprising you?

303player

Having been in Thailand for a few months, it is obvious things run very differently here than in any Western or other developed nation. I am interested in the experiences and insights of my fellow expats:

• What is the most surprising / striking / silly thing that you learned about people and doing business since you live in Thailand?
  • How is that different from what you expected before you came here?

Anyway, curious to hear your anecdotes.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, OP, but everything seems normal to me.

No, surprising / striking / silly thing has happened to me since I've been here.

But yes, before coming here I was expecting to make more acquaintances with Thai girls.......but got married.........very silly of me.

Costas, I may be wrong, but I was thinking about this last night in my musings.

Thailand is more like southern European countries, the Latin ones, Italy and Greece included and France in the past.

Family, food, wine , well sorry we can't afford that here, and song and dance. A live for today attitude!

Northern Europe is far from that, sombre, materialistic, cold in climate and in character.

I was born in the wrong country, but soon discovered life elsewhere!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've learned that most farang have no clue about modern Thailand, they actually think it's still a developing country.

Well its certainly still developing politically

• Like 2

I've learned that most farang have no clue about modern Thailand, they actually think it's still a developing country.

So Thailand is not growing and developing.

I

See Thai posters are not growing and developing.

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

I thought Thailand was a third-world country which had great potential to become something much better.

My big surprise has been to learn it is going absolutely nowhere. Corruption and greed destroy anything good before it has chance to take root.

It's this kind of over-generalisation that I find nonsensical. There is plenty of corruption and greed but not so much that it destroys anything good. Plenty good in Thailand. It just gets better and better each year.

• Like 1

What I find surprising is , there have been English teachers in this country for I don't know how many years .

If the system and the teaching was on such a high standard , I would have thought that all English teachers here now would be Thai nationals.

• Like 1

Thanks for all these, experienced many of them...

A friend told me something very nice the other day. He said in England (where he's from), people listen to what you say and evaluate it intellectually. In Thailand, he felt it's more important how you say something, and people evaluate you emotionally.

Cant talk for England, but notice it here also alot. Certainly not a thai phenomenem. However languagebarrier certainly doesnt help.

• Like 1

That someone giggling with mirth when you injure yourself isn't rude.

That lying is expected and only fools think honesty has some special virtue.

That my safety or even life is not worth 15 seconds of time to the average Thai male driver.

That Thailand is a drain grate where the most sexist humans on earth gravitate like slimy hairballs and then propagate offspring to this attitude.

Where free speech is a criminal offense.

Now for the bad stuff....

That you continue to live here speaks volumes, totally understand if you are a native of Somalia, Yemen, Syria or the like, more like a refugee from Kalifornia.

Dont let the door hit you on the ass on the way out, you wont be missed..

Thought GG was living in London these days.

• Like 1