Maintenance on new Mazda BT50

billzant

Dear Forum,

I bought a new Mazda BT50 about 2 months ago.

They told me the first service was 10000 km. I have done just under 5000 km. It seems a long time before the first service. Should I be doing some kind of maintenance?

When I bought it I asked them to explain under the bonnet, what I should do, and their attitude was hands-off.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best,

BillZ

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check fluid levels and belt tension.

As a previous poster suggested it would have been good to drop the oil and spin a new filter on at 1000km. It's a bit old school and possibly not necessary anymore but certainly can't hurt.

Modern engine are built and machined to the point that running in is almost redundant. That combine with the superior lubrication properties of synthetic oils your fine to 10000km. Just drive it normally. Don't baby it or thrash it for the first few thousand km and you should be good.

Hi I have a BT50 pro, its just coming up to 18 months old, only have some 20,000KM on it. First service ( 10000KM or 6 months )is a safety check, oil and all others things checked, oil's will be checked and toped up if required. There was no charge on this one. I have 4 free services.

2nd service ( 20000KM or 12 months ) was at 12 months, oils changed ect, only charge on this is for materials used.

Service intervals are 6 months (safety check) then 12month is oil changes ect.

All I do is check the oil, and brake/power steering fluids every so often, underneath the bonnet ( hood for USA readers rolleyes.gif )

We do a day out trip once a week, some 350 to 500KM round trip, out of Bangkok and then a trip to my wifes home in Loeng Nok Tha, every 2 months, some 2,000KM around trip. Bu we are leaving Bangkok for good soon, be nice to leave the traffic behindsmile.png

Edited by Dave8237
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

They are varying reflecting I think the changing technology as well as the experience of the poster - old school.

It is interesting Dave that as a BT50 owner you have been happy with their recommendations. The idea of not changing the oil for 12 months doesn't sit well with me but in the past I have driven bangers, not known what I was doing and caused problems. I still don't know what I'm doing and feel insecure about vehicles - not that I am experiencing problems. Kwasaki, my insecurity is the source of the post.

Dave, you said you checked the oil and brake fluids. Did you need to top up? What oil and fluid did you use?

Do you have any issues with tyre pressure?

All the Best,

BillZ

I would not put blind faith in an idiot light to ensure your engine is correctly lubricated when it only takes a few moments to pop the bonnet and check your self.

What are you going to do if out on a trip and the light comes on (becuase you did not check to see if it is low) and a bottle of oil is a long way away.... are you going to drive it with the light on ?

BTW the Ranger (which has the same mechanical's as the BT-50) has the first service at 15,000 km.... then every 15,0000 km after that.

I am old school engine builder. Every new/rebuilt engine should have the oil and filter changed at 1,000km. I don't give a shit what they say. Crap is/could be in the engine, you, me, them don't know, so change it. Most other stuff has sensors showing if something is "low" on your dash. But noooooo sensor for crap cleaning.

If the modern engine had old school oil then yes I agree, it should be changed at 1000km.

If changing oil outside of the suggested service interval be sure to use the correct oil because if you shit an engine they will test the oil before a warranty claim is approved.

If the modern engine had old school oil then yes I agree, it should be changed at 1000km.

If changing oil outside of the suggested service interval be sure to use the correct oil because if you shit an engine they will test the oil before a warranty claim is approved.

I took my ride back to Toyota at 1000km and told them to change it AND record it, which they did...thumbsup.gif

I took my ride back to Toyota at 1000km and told them to change it AND record it, which they did...thumbsup.gif

Which is the correct way to have an out of scheduled service oil change done.

Eh.........?

Eh.........?

Whats the Eh For ?

Do you not understand English or is the Chump supposed to have a 1000km service ?

If you are going to do an oil change that is not part of the regular service schedule as outlined in the owners manual you should still have it done at the dealership to ensure the correct oil has been used and have them make note of this in the service book.

If you are going to do an oil change that is not part of the regular service schedule as outlined in the owners manual you should still have it done at the dealership to ensure the correct oil has been used and have them make note of this in the service book.

Yes, well done thumbsup.gif .

Change the oil/filter at 1,000km, same at 10,000km, after that use full synthetic if not already used..smile.png

I would use full syn at the 10,000km service.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

They are varying reflecting I think the changing technology as well as the experience of the poster - old school.

It is interesting Dave that as a BT50 owner you have been happy with their recommendations. The idea of not changing the oil for 12 months doesn't sit well with me but in the past I have driven bangers, not known what I was doing and caused problems. I still don't know what I'm doing and feel insecure about vehicles - not that I am experiencing problems. Kwasaki, my insecurity is the source of the post.

Dave, you said you checked the oil and brake fluids. Did you need to top up? What oil and fluid did you use?

Do you have any issues with tyre pressure?

All the Best,

BillZ

I am more than happy with the oil in being left in until 12 month, change, times have changed since the days of changing oil at 1,000Km or 1,000miles in new cars. With the advancement of oils and engines. If it makes you feel better get it changed.

All my previous vehicles in the UK, all brand new, Skoda Fabia vRS (diesel), Honda Civic 2.2 (diesel) and last Mazda MX5 NC MK 3.5, 2.0ltr petrol, had there first changes at the 12 month point, at around 12 to 13,000 miles.

I have not had to top up any of the brake/steering fluids or oil, the car sat still from June to August, as I had to return to the UK, for over two months, due to my fathers death. My vehicle is parked undercover. Came back and started first time all levels fine ( not that I expected not too ). But had lost 5 psi in all the tyres, I run mine on the ECO pressure of 38 psi, I was original all nitrogen fill on them. but start topping up with standard 'air', so it started to deflate earlier. Must get redo them again.

I would use what the manufacturer suggests atleast until the warranty period has expired. You toast an engine and they find oil in it that is not within their spec you'll be opening your wallet for the new engine, Not them.

Full syn exceeds manufacturers recommendations and is offered at main dealers.

• Like 1

"But why check the oil when there is an oil light? If there is an oil problem the oil light will stay on? Am I right?"

In every car I have ever owned the oil warning light is an oil pressure warning light as opposed to a low oil level warning light.

Running a car or truck with low oil pressure can cause significant damage within a matter of minutes. The first areas of the engine to be destroyed by low oil pressure are things such as crank bearings and cam lobes and followers. Keep running the engine with low oil pressure and you can completely destroy it.

Even if the oil warning light comes on only briefly, say when cornering, it is something you must address immediately.

You will most likely find that the owner's handbook says that if the oil light comes on you should shut the engine down immediately and contact a dealer.

The dipstick is how you check the oil level. It is not that much of a chore and I am pretty sure the owner's handbook will explain the process.

No offense to the OP or anyone else ...

The dash mounted warning lights are called 'Idiot Lights' for a reason - if you wait until they come on before checking fluid levels, you are for sure an idiot. When the light comes on - damage has already occurred.

Weekly checks recommended. Easy to do, take minutes, including tire pressure.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your comments.

Without getting into every comment it seems the safest way is to change the oil and filter at the place of purchase (in this case Mazda) to remove any chance of crap in the engine. Whilst it might well be unnecessary, for a small-ish price on a new car I can have peace of mind.

I have checked the oil (dipstick) and it is full.

Despite the naive question "In the Jungle"'s answer was worth the effort - thanks. It is more of a "last resort" rather than an advisory "I need oil". Good to know.

Problem with the handbook, they haven't give me English version - have asked several times.

All the Best,

BillZ

Dave,

Sorry to hear about your father.

Hope everything went OK in the UK and that you don't have troubles with probate being so far away.

All the Best,

BillZ

Thanks BillZ....it was all very simple we did ourselves, and it took, 3 weeks

Problem with the handbook, they haven't give me English version - have asked several times.

You can download the English version here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/617581-all-new-ford-ranger-and-mazda-bt-50-service-manuals-free-download/

The link to the download is dead. I have looked at this before, and it was for BT50, up 2012, prior to the new model. I have yet to do this, and no idea why I haven't, and that would be to contact Mazda Australia as this vehicle is sold there, but in different models, but it will give enough info on the important stuff

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/617581-all-new-ford-ranger-and-mazda-bt-50-service-manuals-free-download/

The link to the download is dead. I have looked at this before, and it was for BT50, up 2012, prior to the new model. I have yet to do this, and no idea why I haven't, and that would be to contact Mazda Australia as this vehicle is sold there, but in different models, but it will give enough info on the important stuff

try malaysia or phils.

try malaysia or phils.

I have just sent an e-mail to Mazda Philippines, as the OZ one was on a format which wanted an OZ address ect but the Phili one is a straight forward programme, so will see if they can help...... thanks for the that bkkjames

Edited by Dave8237