Runoff wipes out homes on Ko Chang

webfact

Runoff wipes out homes on Ko Chang
By Digital Content

14101617711104-640x390x1.jpg

TRAT, Sept 8 -- Heavy rains last night caused devastating runoff in two sub-districts of Ko Chang, a popular tourist destination in this province.

Five villages in Ko Chang Tai sub-district are cut off from the outside as deep flooding impedes residents from leaving their homes.

The heaviest impact was in Ban Than Mayom village. A huge runoff from Than Mayom waterfall wiped out many houses.

Three workers of an ice factory were carried away by the surging waters. Two were rescued, but searchers continue looking for the third.

In Ko Chang sub-district on the other side of the island, runoff gushed through Khlong Son canal flooding houses, roads and Ban Khlong Son School with 40-50 centimeters of water. Many vehicles broke down.

In Ban Khlong Phrao village, a bridge approach collapsed and the bridge became impassable. Runoff gushed through Khlong Phlu waterfall, and flooded many houses. A motorcyclist was washed away and went missing.

In Ban Kai Bae village, a bridge is about one metre underwater and is impassable. Persistent rains feed runoff from a mountain.

Ko Chang district chief Peera Iamsunthorn said the flooding was critical as roads were impassable and many areas in Ko Chang Tai sub-district were cut off. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-09-08

We were planning to go to Koh Chang on the weekend. We have never been to Chang before and I would be grateful for advice. Are there parts of the island that cater to tourists that have not been impacted ? Recommendations on where to stay would be appreciated. Thanks.

We were planning to go to Koh Chang on the weekend. We have never been to Chang before and I would be grateful for advice. Are there parts of the island that cater to tourists that have not been impacted ? Recommendations on where to stay would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well, it's not the best time of the year to go to KC, September can be a very rainy month.

That said, despite the heavy downpours, most of the island is just fine.

There are so many resorts and bungalows which are 80 % vacant at this time, so you have plenty of choice.

It's a right mess on the island. A lot of damage to property and vehicles. The road is back open as they have built a temp bridge so that cars can get across. Serious rain over the weekend.

But you are looking marvelous today!

Thanks I put my best shirt on today ☺