Thailand to take serious action against teen pregnancy

webfact

Thailand to take serious action against teen pregnancy

BANGKOK, 8 September 2014 (NNT) - The Health Risk Control Section will work in conjunction with the Ministry of Public Health and Ministry of Education, Ministry of Social Development, Women’s Health Advocacy Foundation along with Path 2 Health Foundation, the Thai Health Promotion Foundation, and other agencies to set up a ‘Teen Pregnancy’ conference to tackle the issue and the root causes of it.

According to the Office of the National Economics and Social Development Board and UNFPA (United Nations Population Fund) in 2012, Thai teenage mothers aged 15-19 have, on average, delivered one baby every four minutes and when tracing back by a decade the number of girls of younger than 15 years old who have become mother has risen by almost three times.

Out of an annual 800,000 live births, teenager mothers accounted for 120,000. Thailand ranks the 5th most early pregnancy in ASEAN. The information has led to the social problem in terms of mother and child’s welfare. The young mothers will have to leave school and hurt their opportunities for their future careers and the newborn babies may suffer from improper upbringing and improper development.

The meeting will discuss factors that are responsible for teenage pregnancies and come up with measure and practices to seriously tackle the issues and cooperatively solve the problem by its roots.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-08 footer_n.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that this whole subject is still a taboo. How can you educate kids when you cannot talk about the subject?

I know doctors who became unwanted pregnant because they had no idea about contraception that even 12 year old western kids can explain to them.

... round up all the dead-beat dads and deport them.

I do not think they can deport them but maybe through dna or blood test they will have to be made to step up to the role of at least getting a job and paying child support for their kid. Either that or give them the option to be sterilised with no chance signed by law that it can be undone later in their lifes. Better to keep the winners of the Darwin awards out of the genepool.

both the bold parts are not applicable, according to thai law

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728912-dna-paternity-test-of-thai-foreign-child/#entry7879205.

Edited by crisbat

Let's do a conference...

Oct deadline coming up, must spend the budget fast...

And, someone invite some young girls for "questioning" please whistling.gif

Similar to the topic of the OP, those kind of announcements - studies - reflection seem to be a monthly occurrence.

I think they should make pre-marital sex illegal and punish teen moms with prison. Schools should also teach more religion. American and european movies should be banned. These easy steps would solve the problem and bring back happiness.

Welcome in the Middle Ages... This would lead to more backstreet abortion, misuse of alcohol and dark, very dark sadness. Next comes the idea of the "Reichsarbeitsdienst" (Reich Labour Servie)?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The young mothers will have to leave school and hurt their opportunities for their future careers and the newborn babies may suffer from improper upbringing and improper development.

What the article doesn't mention is that the Thai knob who impregnates the unlucky Thai girl often skips out on any responsibility. So while the mother is ruining her chances at a career, Somchai is off the radar, probably drinking lao kow with his buddies. Do this country a favor while you're making regulations on teen pregnancy: round up all the dead-beat dads and deport them.

Well said. (Although, I don't agree with your last three words.)

The problem lies with the dead-beats.wai2.gifwai.gif

They know they can escape responsibility.

There are no consequences for them.

This mysoginistic indifference towards women in the society needs to be addressed.

It would take generations to sort out.

(If they were so inclined)

I'm not optimistic...whistling.gif

Edited by iReason
  • Like 1

The young mothers will have to leave school and hurt their opportunities for their future careers and the newborn babies may suffer from improper upbringing and improper development.

What the article doesn't mention is that the Thai knob who impregnates the unlucky Thai girl often skips out on any responsibility. So while the mother is ruining her chances at a career, Somchai is off the radar, probably drinking lao kow with his buddies. Do this country a favor while you're making regulations on teen pregnancy: round up all the dead-beat dads and deport them.

Sorry, where do you deport 'Thai Knobs' to exactly ?

My wife's neice got knocked up by a classmate in Matthayom 6. Bright girl, expected to have a GPA of between 3 and 4. She went for an abortion which the father's family sorted out for her. He then went and told his classmates, word got back to the school director, who kicked my wife's neice out of the school. The "father" is now at university in Bangkok, whilst my wife's neice is still finishing Matthayom 6 a year later, having been told she cannot score higher than the minimum pass, a GPA of 1.0.

Sound fair?

this topic makes my blood boil, the cause is the ''ROOT'',the root of these skinny little thai male muts, with the rediculous hair and a scooter on credit,they prey on the teens,promise them love and happines,sing them the cute thai love poems and pop songs, and then when she is pregnant they are off to the next.most thai men dont know how many children they have,and dont care...women and girls here have a warped sence of honour to the thai male.,they worship them and that is the problem..i say cut off their balls and the problem is over......(we all know men are pigs),.....sawadee (no crap).

Make the males responsible for the baby. Crack the whip like they do in the USA and throw them in jail if they dodge taking care of the child.

People are going to have sex without condoms. That's a fact of life. So long as there is ZERO accountability for the male, nothing will change.

• Like 2

I think they should enact laws more like the west.

When a teenage girl has a baby,

Give mom a free condo and enough money to never work again.

You know this makes sense!

• Like 1