i have caught loose bowels

opalred

Could be the Ebola virus as it's spreading exponentially they say.

Probably no serum in Thailand, but you might try a witch doctor out in one of the villages.

Good luck, and be sure to was your hands frequently. That's the key.

Edited by mesquite

Port and brandy. Honestly.

I had the green guts in LOS about 13 years ago. It was dreadful. Tried broad spectrum bactericide, rehydration salts, the lot. None worked.

A Japanese friend came round to see me and recommended Port and Brandy. Had a headache for a day or so afterwards but it sure did work on the guts.

Despite the humour, you had had some excellent replies.

If you mildly have the 'runs' then listen to metisead ... go to the Chemist/DrugStore and buy some Immodium or Lomotil. I usually use Immodium, 30 or 40 for a small packet of 4 or 6 to start you off.

also from howerde ... Bananas, (eat them) ... apparently they will help to 'firm you up'.

If it's more severe then that, and you are losing lots of water from below then ask the Chemist for the rehydration salts, cheap as to buy a couple of packets of OREDA ORS Powder.

51gcvv61%2BqL._SL500_SL160_.jpg

If you speak clear slowing English, many Chemist/DrugStore staff speak some English, even in the 'sticks'.

and excellent general advise comes form Mr Toad ... I would suggest washing your hands.

In Thailand, on return to the Farm or the Hotel, first thing I do after kicking my shoes off.

If you are caught at a place with no obvious water and you want to eat, want to wash your hands and there is some ice available, simply tactfully grab a cube or two, place them in the palm of your hands and rub together. The ice melts, turns to water and you have had a simple wash of your hands ... simples. Was taught that one when in Isaan by the then gf's Family when on a road trip.

Immodium is not advised, while it gives temporary symptomatic relief, it can prolong whatever infection you have.

Get SMECTA or activated charcoal (many brands of that). And stay well hydrated with liquids that include electroytes. Sports drinks, green coconut water, or Thai nam minao/nam som (fresh lemon or orange juice to which they add some salt and sugar) are all fine. Or you can get packets of oral rehydration fluid at a pharmacy.

Drink enough fluid to keep your urine light in color.

If you have high fever or blood in the stools, see a doctor. Otherwise the measures above plus time will usually resolve things.

Immodium is not advised, while it gives temporary symptomatic relief, it can prolong whatever infection you have.

I'm really interested by this comment.

How does the use of Immodium 'prolong whatever infection you have' ?

Thanks

Immodium works by slowing down muscle contractions of the intestine, keeping faeces within the gut longer. One of the effects of massive defecation is to remove the infective bacteria from your gut contents by physical expulsion. If you slow this down you increase the amount of time the bacteria have to persist and multiply in your body.

I'm really interested by this comment.

How does the use of Immodium 'prolong whatever infection you have' ?

Thanks

Simple:

you have a virus or bacteria (or a poison) in your bowels....some keep staying there, some can enter the body.

The natural reaction is to get rid of it. body flush them out.

If you block that with immodium you let the problem stay inside.

If you caught them, keep them safe.

Don't let them go.

I'm sure this is Sandman.

Far too retarded for The Great Sandman

great Sandy still seems to be enjoying the Alps.

Costas you forgot to mention to keep 'em dry otherwise they will fall apart.

to the OP - go to a <deleted> hospital nothing to joke about it. i was down for almost a week,not a pleasant time.

its strange being oz i grew up on farms and had my own once i ate beef and lamb all time every day when married wife here she will not eat beef or lamb

so i stopped for years never had any problems then once before brought some beef had same problem for 2 weeks is beef that bad for body

its strange being oz i grew up on farms and had my own once i ate beef and lamb all time every day when married wife here she will not eat beef or lamb

so i stopped for years never had any problems then once before brought some beef had same problem for 2 weeks is beef that bad for body

The fat from the beef is hard to process for the body as its melting point is pretty high. So some people get problems from it.

As well if the meat is rare it can be a problem. Or if eaten with other food that contains bacteria because they can "hide" in the fat that isn't processed proper.

Lean meat shouldn't cause any problems.

And usually these problems are very minor.