Corruption surfaces in Thai Parliament's clock system project

webfact

Corruption surfaces in parliament’s clock system project

9-11-2014-12-08-47-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Office of the Auditor-General (OAG) has detected corruption involving the 14.9 million baht clock system of the Parliament and has recommended indictment of eleven parliament officials who included the former secretary-general of the Secretariat of the House of Representatives.

In the confidential letter dated July 25 and sent to the secretary-general of the Secretariat of the House of Representatives, the OAG said its investigation into the clock system project to install clock system in and outside parliament building involving a budget of14,891,083 baht revealed corruption.

The clock system is a set of synchronised clocks designed to always show exactly the same time by communicating with each other.

The OAG then recommended disciplinary, civil and criminal actions against the TOR (terms of reference) committee, and the bidding committee of the project.

A total of 11 parliament officials who included the former secretary-general of the Secretariat of the House of Representatives Mr Suvichak Narkwatcharachai were mentioned in the recommendation.

Mr Suvichak was earlier sacked by the military junta and put in inactive post at the Prime Minister’s Office.

The Secretariat of the House of Representatives has received the letter and was taking cautious step to pursue legal action against all involved.

(Photo : ThaiPBS file)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/corruption-surfaces-parliaments-clock-system-project/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-11

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well , well , well , bless their little hearts and to think that corruption, transparency and all the good things were going to happen in Thailand, one word General B/S. coffee1.gif

The clocks were bought last year, prior to the coup. This one is down to the previous incumbent. .

Well , well , well , bless their little hearts and to think that corruption, transparency and all the good things were going to happen in Thailand, one word General B/S. coffee1.gif

The clocks were bought last year, prior to the coup. This one is down to the previous incumbent. .

Yeah, but you're still going to get the little red stooges bleating, braying and bellowing away anyway!

• Like 2

Mr Suvichak was earlier sacked by the military junta and put in inactive post at the Prime Minister’s Office.

What the hell is a inactive post at the Prime Ministers Office?

Drinking coffee and picking their nose?

I think that is an active post.

Inactive probably means you can stay home (but still get paid).

• Like 1

Plus when have clocks ever mattered to Thais ? They should have made them all to show different times so they would have had an excuse for being late. Like so many Thai museums that get built and then get neglected so that everything is dusty or no longer works they would have broken down and be left as rotting monuments to corrupt incompetence. (I do quite like their museums though as they are the problem of Thailand illustrated in a nutshell and usually have friendly and attentive staff who are surprised that anyone particuarly a farang has shown up to see their broken down 15 year old pc or laser disc player amongst some rocks and various bits of tat.)

I think it might be more accurate to say 'time' rather than 'clocks' as they seem to be important and can often be seen in temples. The old NCA bus station in Khon Kaen used to have a very ornate one that was in complete contrast to the building.

I'm sure the analogue clocks in my old school in the late 60s were all driven from a master clock in the headmaster's office. I've no idea if that was true or how it might have worked.

Entirely off topic but I've been to a museum (run by the owner of the factory where it was based) and it was fascinating because of the strange collection of objects. I liked one near the Grand Palace with separate racks for Thai and foreign shoes.