New announcements and video on flights from Australia.

I wanted to share this but will keep it brief as many already might be aware. I was under the assumption that the recent visa "crackdowns" were mostly concentrated on land border crossings. I am an offshore worker so always fly in and out and keep under my 30 day extension. Have been married for 2 years so now have the multiple "o". Coming back from Perth the other day after they handed out the arrival cards on board an announcement was made to be very specific in your address in Thailand, length of visit and reason for stay. They then stated when questioned by customs if your answers aren't acceptable you will be refused entry into the Kingdom. They then played a 5 minute video stating the same thing and also talking about customs and duty free etc. Much like the quarantine video you have to watch when going to Australia (Aussies will know which one). At customs the official spent a good 5 minutes inspecting every entry sticker in my passport, my visa and then asked me a few questions. Once I told him in Thai that I was married he let me through. So it seems they are very serious about this, as they should be, I mean it is a standard in most countries and it looks like Thailand is finally catching up with the rest of the world. Point being if you are a visa runner or someone that comes here regularly without a visa you may find it difficult even if you are flying in.

Have yet to encounter this with Jetstar and Thai immigration haven't been a problem so far. I have however noticed when departing Thailand for Australia lately there is an official or maybe it's an airline rep, watching everyone at the boarding gate and taking aside some passengers to quiz them on their eligibility to enter Australia. I haven't seen anyone turned back but there have been some long discussions with certain passengers. Maybe this has been going on for a long time but I've only noticed this with my Jetstar flights since May this year.

I'm assuming that this not an issue for people with per-arranged visas? I only ever come to Thailand with with a 60 day single or double entry. I'm assuming that by getting the visa in the first place, I already have consular approval and won't be subjected to a second round of scrutiny..

Have yet to encounter this with Jetstar and Thai immigration haven't been a problem so far. I have however noticed when departing Thailand for Australia lately there is an official or maybe it's an airline rep, watching everyone at the boarding gate and taking aside some passengers to quiz them on their eligibility to enter Australia. I haven't seen anyone turned back but there have been some long discussions with certain passengers. Maybe this has been going on for a long time but I've only noticed this with my Jetstar flights since May this year.

They pull aside caucasians?

I'd tell them to piss off back to the check in counters where they belong

• Like 2

I came in last week and encountered an unusually diligent immigration officer. He took a long time checking my one-year visa and previous stamps. However, there were no questions and I was eventually allowed through. I noticed also a great deal more rigor in the customs section with almost all passengers being asked to have their bags scanned. In the past it seemed quite random but now seems compulsory.

Sounds just like the same stuff you write on your inbound form no? Address, how long staying, reason for visit.

Yes that's exactly right but they are actually announcing on the plane to make sure you fill it out correctly and accurately as you will be questioned on arrival. In 20 years coming here I have never heard such an announcement made. Also before I had an address and wife I was pretty vague about where I was staying etc. I only mentioned it as a warning to others and to see if anyone else had experienced anything similar. As I said I assumed if you were always flying in and out you were pretty sweet. Now apparently not.

• Like 1

Bloody darkies, how dare they control immigration into their own country.

• Like 2

I came in last week and encountered an unusually diligent immigration officer. He took a long time checking my one-year visa and previous stamps. However, there were no questions and I was eventually allowed through. I noticed also a great deal more rigor in the customs section with almost all passengers being asked to have their bags scanned. In the past it seemed quite random but now seems compulsory.

Bugger, that tip off I sent to immigration last week didn't work.

Flew in 1/9 on Singapore & didnt here a thing , BUT what immigration was questioning is as to why i didnt have a Visa, since married.

Said i am not here long enough & it would be much easier to go to Loa as it would be difficult in Auss as iam along way from Embassy & post is unreliable where i am

They didnt worry about why (as he knew ) & as for where a city was only mentioned

Visa question has happened twice now

Flew in 1/9 on Singapore & didnt here a thing , BUT what immigration was questioning is as to why i didnt have a Visa, since married.

Said i am not here long enough & it would be much easier to go to Loa as it would be difficult in Auss as iam along way from Embassy & post is unreliable where i am

They didnt worry about why (as he knew ) & as for where a city was only mentioned

Visa question has happened twice now

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at Savannakhet with no financial proof needed.

At the moment the doing visa on same date you apply. Apply by 11 am and pick-up passport at 3 pm.

• Like 1

Why is being a Caucasian any different? Give some special benefit or immunity? That is a very silly comment.

They have been pulling passengers up for several years in the Thai Airways departure lounge.

As for telling airline staff what to do & also swear at them. love to see you do that.

Yeah fair call, but how many non nz/aussie caucasians travel from thailand to australia? I suppose only non aussie citizens get pulled aside for long discussions

Yeah fair call, but how many non nz/aussie caucasians travel from thailand to australia? I suppose only non aussie citizens get pulled aside for long discussions

Quite a few do, but that's not the point. To visit Australia one needs a traditional visa, residency papaers, or eVisitor that airline can access.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/651.aspx

Either case, long discussions should not not happen.

Why is being a Caucasian any different? Give some special benefit or immunity? That is a very silly comment.

They have been pulling passengers up for several years in the Thai Airways departure lounge.

As for telling airline staff what to do & also swear at them. love to see you do that.

Actually from what I remember there used to be a male or female CAUCASIAN i.e. Aussie agent doing the questioning at the gate, certainly not an unqualified Thai national who has no business working as an agent for Australian immigration; after all, Aussies don't staff Thai immigration either. It's been a few years since I last saw any such agents at the departure gates to Australia though (I only fly THAI on direct flights to Australia) the last time being around 2007 or 2008. Maybe they've re-instated this, I guess I'll find out on my next flight to Sydney very soon, but usually I'm one of the last passengers to arrive at the gate anyway and the only people I've seen in recent years are a guy or a lady or two who go through everyone's bags to make sure there are no liquids, aerosols or gels in your hand luggage - apparently Australia doesn't trust Thai x-ray scanners at the airport so a secondary screening is done by hand at the gate.

I hope it wasn't you who suggested the cavity search!

• Like 1

I hope it wasn't you who suggested the cavity search!

No, but thanks for the reminder for the next trip.

Actually from what I remember there used to be a male or female CAUCASIAN i.e. Aussie agent doing the questioning at the gate, certainly not an unqualified Thai national who has no business working as an agent for Australian immigration; after all, Aussies don't staff Thai immigration either. It's been a few years since I last saw any such agents at the departure gates to Australia though (I only fly THAI on direct flights to Australia) the last time being around 2007 or 2008. Maybe they've re-instated this, I guess I'll find out on my next flight to Sydney very soon, but usually I'm one of the last passengers to arrive at the gate anyway and the only people I've seen in recent years are a guy or a lady or two who go through everyone's bags to make sure there are no liquids, aerosols or gels in your hand luggage - apparently Australia doesn't trust Thai x-ray scanners at the airport so a secondary screening is done by hand at the gate.

This happens also on emirates and has been this way for way for years.You also cannot take duty free alcohol on australia bound flights with emirates. Duty free say it's emirates rules.. no point arguing for a bottle of bourbon.