Thai police: Arrested 'Blackshirts' not responsible for slain colonel in 2010

webfact

Police: Arrested 'Blackshirts' Not Responsible For Slain Colonel in 2010
By Khaosod English

14107845491410785642l.jpg
The five suspected Blackshirts were dressed in black clothing with red arm bands for the police press conference announcing their arrests on 11 Sept 2014

BANGKOK — Thai police have retracted the accusation that five suspects recently arrested for their alleged connection to a Redshirt militant group were responsible for the murder of an army colonel during political unrest in 2010.

"This case is not related to the killing of Col. Romklao Thuvatham," said Pol.Col. Prasopchoke Prommool, deputy commander of the Crime Suppression Division.

Pol.Gen. Somyot Pumpanmuang, chief of Thai police, previously claimed that four men and one woman arrested last week were the "Blackshirt" militants responsible for attacking security officers during the military crackdown on Redshirt protesters on 10 April 2010. Pol.Gen. Somyot also accused the suspects of killing Col. Romklao, the commander of the crackdown.

Yet Pol.Col. Prasopchoke explained today that the five suspects have only been charged with possessing military-grade weapons and "using these weapons to shoot at soldiers and civilians" near Kok Wua Intersection on Ratchadamnoen Avenue, where another clash took place on the night that Col. Romklao was killed.

According to a DSI official, the five suspects are not currently being treated as suspects in the murder of Col. Romklao.

"More evidence is needed before it can be established that they were involved with the killing of Col. Romklao," the official, who requested anonymity, told Khaosod English today.

All of the suspects are currently being held in prison, and police are still searching for two more suspects, Pol.Col. Prasopchoke said.

Twenty civilians and five soldiers were killed in the clashes on 10 April 2010, nearly a month after the Redshirts descended into the capital city to demand a fresh election from then-Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva. The protests were eventually crushed by another military crackdown on 19 May 2010.

According to Pol.Gen. Somyot, all of the suspects were supporters of the Redshirt movement, confirming the Abhisit administration’s allegation that the Blackshirts were allied to the Redshirt protesters.

Mystery

The retraction of the link between the Blackshirt suspects and the murder of Col. Romklao is only the latest inconsistency to puzzle observers and raise questions about the accuracy of the police investigation.

Pol.Gen. Somyot, who has refused to say how and when the suspects were arrested, also recently scaled back his claim that Kritsuda Kunasen, a 26-year-old Redshirt activist living in exile, supplied weapons and transferred payments to the militants.

Pol.Gen. Somyot later clarified the statement, saying police have yet to draw a clear link between the Ms. Kritsuda and the militants.

Some Redshirts have accused the Thai police chief of attempting to discredit Ms. Kritsuda after she accused soldiers of torturing her during her 27-day detainment in a military camp this June.

It's also unclear why one of the suspects, Kittisak Soomsri, was reportedly detained incommunicado in a military camp for a week prior to the press conference announcing the five suspects' arrests. Mr. Kittisak confessed to the charges during the press conference, though Thai police have a history of parading suspects in front of the media and extracting confessions from them that are later retracted.

Finally, many have questioned the likelihood that members of the Blackshirt cell are still in Thailand today; sources report that those connected to the violence in 2010 fled the country several years ago.

Weng Tojirakarn, a core activist of the Redshirts' umbrella organisation, the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), said he doubts the suspects were genuine members of the Blackshirt group.

"I wonder if they are in fact scapegoats who were coerced and tortured into confession," Mr. Weng said last week.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1410784549&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-09-16

• Like 1

2010 POLITICAL VIOLENCE
Investigation report on 'men in black' goes to prosecutors

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Crime Suppression Division was to submit an investigation report on the "men in black" to public prosecutors in relation to charges of possessing war weapons, the division's deputy chief Pol Colonel Prasobchok Prommul said yesterday.

Five men have been charged with possessing and using war-grade guns, ammunition and explosives and carrying these weapons in public places without any reason. These charges have been pressed in connection with the killing of several soldiers and red-shirt protesters during a clash at Khok Wua intersection in Bangkok on April 10, 2010.

The suspects include Kittisak "Uan" Sumsri, 45; Preecha "Kai Tia" Yooyen, 24; Ronnarit "Na" Suricha, 33; Chamnarn "Lek" Pakeechai, 45; and Punika "Orn" Chusri, 39. They are under court-approved detention.

Police have, so far, identified eight suspects in this case, of whom one is said to have died while two others are on the run.

Prasobchok said police were to submit the 775-page investigation file yesterday, adding that this case was not related to the murder of then-Colonel Romklao Thuwatham.

The suspects have allegedly confessed and participated in a re-enactment of the crime, he said.

The Department of Special Investigation is in charge of cases related to protests.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Investigation-report-on-men-in-black-goes-to-prose-30243346.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-16

Something doesn't sound right here..........

Could the cops be starting to back pedal somewhat....?

Hopefully, these guys are actual members of the MiB from 2010...

There seem to be a lot of photo ops and explainations lately as though trying to convince everyone of these guys guilt.....

It's almost as though there isn't any need for a trial!

Edited by ChrisY1

Weng Tojirakarn, a core activist of the Redshirts' umbrella organisation, the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), said he doubts the suspects were genuine members of the Blackshirt group.

If you are looking for a credible source regarding terrorism, Weng would be the go to guy. First hand experience and all that.

• Like 1

There seem to be a lot of photo ops and explainations lately as though trying to convince everyone of these guys guilt.....

I remember that on the day of their arrest, or at the latest the day thereafter, that there already was a statement that they were not considered to be responsible in the Colonel Romklao killing.

So it is actually a repeat of a news that was announced 4-5 days ago.

I am glad, for justice' sake, that their face is not so great that they CAN'T back down. It helps no one to railroad innocents into prison for something they didn't do.

The above picture shows that Thailand has a long way to go in the area of human rights.

Didn't they confess to killing people?

Anyhow please explain what is a breach of human rights in this image?

I doubt you will because you have a tendency to throw in one-liners and then disappear.

• Like 1

It is quite possible these people were not responsible for the death of Col. Romklao. If they continue to deny involvement, it only makes it more likely that there was more than one group of black shirts killing fellow Thais at the time.

Edited by halloween
  • Like 1

Wasn't the official stance of the Redshirts that there is no Blackshirt group and it's just an invention by the government at the time? Well, Dr. Weng, you just bit your own a**.

• Like 2

The above picture shows that Thailand has a long way to go in the area of human rights.

I doubt you will because you have a tendency to throw in one-liners and then disappear.

Now now now Nicky! I warned you before!! Don't tax his fragile little brain too much. There's a good lad!! Over to you Bob. Words of one syllable are fine.

But the image IS emberassing. Its not like they wear the balaklavas for anonymity. They already been photographed without them (and the black clothes) multiple times. Its images like this that undermines even the notion of Thailand beeing a state of law and justice.

• Like 1

The dressing up does remind me of the witch scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail somewhat.

It does need to be remembered though that the main reason this would not be allowed, along with the tv reenactments, in most other countries is that it would influence a jury prior to the trial which is not a problem here since they do not have them.

Wasn't the official stance of the Redshirts that there is no Blackshirt group and it's just an invention by the government at the time? Well, Dr. Weng, you just bit your own a**.

Weng denies they exist, then says he knows who are not members of the "real" blackshirts.

Chalerm denies they exist, then says he knows who they are.

Nothing unusual in their behavior for members of any Shin controlled organization. Simply tell whatever lie is needed today.

• Like 2

There really was no need for a news item about this. Most people knew it was a set up from the start. The payslip story was a bit much. However congrats to the coppers, because the group were/are guilty of a crime. Just not the crime the police were hoping for.

Yes, everything that Thaksin, Yingluck, members of their extended family, their affiliates, supporters, paid supporters, hire helps are accused of is always a set up.

They would never lie, cheat, act illegally or pervert the course of justice. No siree, completely innocent the lot of them.

Viva a red world.

"Most people knew it was a set up from the start" - can you prove it is a set up and that "most" people concluded this? If you can please do so. If not stop lying.

Edited by Baerboxer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you don't see what the breach of human rights is than you are a good candidate for citizenship in North Korea. I really shouldn't have to tell you. You should be smart enough to figure it out for yourself.

Wow skimasks must have been going cheap or something, theres more in that photo wearing masks than without..... btw are they talking about the dodgy looking lot in black sitting down or standing at the back with sub machine guns ? whistling.gif

Edited by englishoak

There really was no need for a news item about this. Most people knew it was a set up from the start. The payslip story was a bit much. However congrats to the coppers, because the group were/are guilty of a crime. Just not the crime the police were hoping for.

Yes, everything that Thaksin, Yingluck, members of their extended family, their affiliates, supporters, paid supporters, hire helps are accused of is always a set up.

They would never lie, cheat, act illegally or pervert the course of justice. No siree, completely innocent the lot of them.

Viva a red world.

"Most people knew it was a set up from the start" - can you prove it is a set up and that "most" people concluded this? If you can please do so. If not stop lying.

Well the first article says there are many evidences to show this group and kritsuda are involved in 2010 killings. And this article says now they are not. The said evidence seems to have been swept under the carpet. I'm just seeing it as i am seeing it. Were they involved in the killings. No. Was there evidence yesterday to say they were. Yes. If i am missing something, maybe you could reeducate me.

Like I said, they could get a confession out of a duck if they so wished

There's an old joke about an international contest of police from the US, Russia, and Thailand. There were three 100 acre forests, well-fenced, into each forest a rabbit had been let loose. The goal was to catch the rabbit in one hour. The US police used helicopters and infrared cameras and couldn't locate the rabbit. The Russian police just burned the whole forest down. The Thai policeman was back out of the forest in fifteen minutes with a well-beaten goat that was moaning, "I AM a rabbit, I'm very sorry I first said I was not a rabbit. I am a rabbit".

I just found the original cartoon and translated it:

post-102528-0-00870700-1410853738_thumb.