Apples are now so expensive ,why

i claudius

OP not sure what apples you are buying but I have been paying roughly the same for at least the last 6 months? Packs of the same sort of apples from Makro went up from 99 baht to 115 baht but that is not doubling. I tend to buy at the Pattaya Tai market however not so much the supermarkets unless on offer.

oh and no problem finding at the moment - unless you are talking a specific variety?

I've noticed no significant change. Bought 5 in Tesco for 55B the other day.

Yes these are the ones that went from 49b to 82 b and are now on "special" at 55b

I have never actually seen any apples called " fugi ", I thought that was a type of poison fish from Japan???,

But I have been buying Fuji apples in Tops here in Phuket for some years now and they come in plastic trays

containing 5 apples enclosed in a red coloured mesh. They have been 69 baht since I first bought them and

were still 69 baht when I purchased some the other day. Having said that there has always been on offer single

fuji apples of a larger size for anything between 25 to 50 baht per apple. Can't say I have noticed any substantial

price rise in them either. thumbsup.gif

I have had some good luck at Tesco on occasion. NZ apples usually taste great and sell fast at a good price, I would check in weekly when I have the opportunity. Can't be certain, but I think I've seen Granny Smiths sometimes. The usual Pink Lady apples from China, sometimes apples from S Africa and Oz. USA apples out of the question. Big C is also good to keep an eye on.

I usually avoid apples in the regular produce market because I know they don't keep well in the heat. The big stores may not keep their apples refrigerated but ambient air conditioning makes a big difference.

Does Thailand produce apples? I would have thought that up North in the cooler climes they would flourish. Seems all apples here are imported, seen them from Chile, NZ, Canada etc.

Seen also from France and a lot from China (China is the biggest apple producer worldwide)

Does Thailand produce apples? I would have thought that up North in the cooler climes they would flourish. Seems all apples here are imported, seen them from Chile, NZ, Canada etc.

Good question, I don't think so, sadly. They produce wine now but that demands a hotter climate than apples.

An nice apple is my all time favorite fruit, when I was a boy back in Denmark we were always out looking for them when it was season and sometimes had to run for dear life but with the pockets full of apples so it was worth it.

I dont know if apples can be grown in Thailand. If they could it would be Fuji or Gala because they require the least chilling period of any. Maybe up around Loei?

Apples, peaches and apricots especially need a cold dormant period and some varieties more than others.