webfact

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

German 'beggar' to be deported
The Nation

30244236-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Immigration Bureau will begin the process of deporting a German who was found enjoying the nightlife in Pattaya after begging for money on Bangkok streets.

Benjamin Holse, 29, claimed his passport and cash were stolen during his trip to Thailand.

He attracted much sympathy, partly because he has an excessively swollen leg due to a congenital condition.

However, Holse sneaked away from a Bangkok hotel that a German foundation arranged for him to stay in while waiting for a new passport this week. He was later found enjoying himself in Pattaya.

Tourist Police picked Holse up in Pattaya on Thursday and his case sent to the Immigration Bureau.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/German-beggar-to-be-deported-30244236.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-27

The sad thing is that this will stop people helping genuine cases for fear of being taken advantage of!

There are few of them, and unless physically maimed indistinguishable from those being managed and controlled.

I just don't donate now, including the 68 year old guy who is a boy scout, but of course I am morally bankrupt.

He's German. He's in Thailand. They won the world cup. It's all good. If it was my stingy American government they would allow me to sit on a street corner with a swollen foot.

Maybe, maybe not. But if this hit the news, the American people would overwhelm you with help.

In 2013, the American people were ranked the most generous in the world for charitable giving. In 2010, they were ranked the 5th most generous.

LINK

Edit. #1 in 2012. LINK

If you look at it per capita, the US barely makes the top 20. http://www.crossborderdirectory.org/which-countries-give-the-most-to-charity.html

Indeed. I never saw much of this generosity (of spirit at least) having spent 3 months there. Such a difference when compared with Canada (the bit not taken over by the French whistling.gif).

A perfect example why you don't give money to beggars and organizations you don't fully understand. Just scams. When I give

money to the wino in front of the liquor store I know exactly were the money is going to and I have no trouble with it.

Reminds me of a beggar I saw in Oxford, with a half starved dog.

Nice young lady felt sorry for him, rather than give him money she bought him a sandwich and a hot cup of tea, he just throw them across the street.

If people feel so concerned with these people maybe there should be a system where people can by "food vouchers" to hand to beggars.

I know in the UK they encourage people to give to charities rather than beggars so that it gets used properly. There's also the problem of some who park there car around the corner and change into shabby clothes before sitting on the ground making a tax free income. Having said that I often give money here as I'm certain the people I give to need it. I give far less to them than end up giving to temples that's for sure.

Do not forget the dog they half starve to make pitiful to increase donations...

So many scams in Thailand that's why the country has got such a bad name.

This happens a lot all over the world.

Beggars and some Charities all over the world collect cash from good natured some say stupid people and use it inappropriately to suit them selves and feather their own nest.

A lesson should be:

Never give to Beggars.

Never give to Charities.

No surprise you live in Pattaya the city for morally bankrupt people.

When you give you receive

Is this an ivory tower I see before me?

Pattaya Immigration Cancel Visa and Deport Dishonest German Beggar

german-22.jpg

PATTAYA: -- It was confirmed on Friday that Immigration Senior Officers cancelled the current visa for the dishonest German Beggar, who was believed to be begging for money during the day and using the money to buy drinks and female companionship at night.

On Thursday Pattaya Tourist Police arrested Mr. Benjamin Holst aged 29. He was caught begging for money on Pattaya Beach, even though he reportedly had 7,000 Baht cash in his pocket. This is thought to be the remaining cash from a 40,000 Baht donation from people in Bangkok after he was found sleeping rough close to the Kao San Road. The money was intended to be used to purchase a new passport and a flight back to Germany.

Instead Mr. Holst made his way to Pattaya where he was spotted in bars, spending money which had been donated to him in Bangkok.

Under the Immigration Act of 1979, Chapter 2 Section 12, Mr. Holst has now been ordered to leave Thailand and on Friday was transferred to the Immigration Detention Center in Bangkok where he awaits deportation.

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-09-27

Beggars and some Charities all over the world collect cash from good natured some say stupid people and use it inappropriately to suit them selves and feather their own nest.

A lesson should be:

Never give to Beggars.

Never give to Charities.

I agree, by giving , you receive. The way Thais and Asians in general look on beggars - they are doing a service - no beggars no gaining merit.

Farang look on them as an embarrassment - two very spiritually different races.

What a load of bolllocks! How long have you been here? I agree that the Thais give to receive. That is their whole ethos; to get something back, to make merit in order to be furthered along the path -- in essence everything for the self and not necessarily to help anybody else out. The farangs (us), at least where I come from, will give out of generosity of spirit, from the heart, as evidenced by the billions that go to good causes not only in my country but people they have zero connection with around the world. Some may look down upon the unfortunate to an extent, but if you think the Thais do not pity the disabled, crippled and mentally ill while putting themselves on a pedestal, you are very much in the dark. Just open your eyes, chap. As you say, two very different races, both spiritually and materially.

/But good that they are sending him where he belongs//

Edited by daveAustin

I get approached about once a year either in Thailand or Manila by some foreigner with the same kind of story, but without the elephant-man leg. They don't need money. They need somebody to tell them to use their return ticket and get home before they totally implode. This guy was a particular chunk of nasty for using the physical deformity to take advantage of the Thai concept of merit to finance his binges. How do you say, "Loser" in German, anyway?

A lesson should be:

Never give to Beggars.

Never give to Charities.

What a stupid statement to make of people in Pattaya....You are bankrupt of brains

I am German resident, living here in Pattaya since long time and feel ashamed abut that guy.

Hope, he will disappear from here.

If You watch all these lonesome losers hanging at the bars around, already in the morning,with the beer,

what can you expect ??

Pattaya needs a change, urgent.

Less people like this and more qualified tourists.

How did you qualify as a tourist? Or is it about quality tourists?

The man is in need of psychiatric assistence, he was already when he landed in Thailand.

Wish him the best care possible, probabely better then in Thailands State Sponsored Hotels like Bankwan.

Close the chapter and carry on everybody, enjoy life when you still can!

It scum like him ,that makes things harder on us here who can afford to live here. Hope they blacklist him for life. But then again TAT can turn this around by saying the poor people of Bangkok love farangs so much we gave this farang 50,000 baht to enjoy in Pattaya a mega hub of nightlife, before returning home safe and sound.cheesy.gif

They are deporting him as he has made a fool of them and not for any other reason.

The tourist police and various other German help organisations put themselves in the limelight to assist this man. They now know they have been duped and made worse by the newspapers reporting it.

The newspapers then showed exactly what he did with the money. Thailand has enough problems with Thai, Cambodian , Burmese beggars, conmen and mafia enterprises cashing in on tourists without these types of additional problems. Unchecked, within months it will be the next line of amassing funds to stay in the LOS for every foreigner who pisses their funds away on drink, drugs and women or men.

The man is feckless. If he cannot support himself in a foreign country, when he came as a tourist without resorting to begging, he needs to go home. He is no longer a tourist but a burden on tourists and locals alike with his begging.

The person who posted asking " who now will pay for his flight home? " unsure on this as he is German, but if a UK citizen, they will leave them in the immigration centre for a considerable period and tell them to request family, friends etc to send the money for the ticket so the Embassy can purchase it. Embassy will make the call to Europe on their behalf.

Send this idiot home - fast! No sympathy anymore! 1zgarz5.gif

Nice to read all the "compassionate" replies from high-horse riding, winner expats, like yourself, on this forum. No small wonder why Thai people consider us (farangs) all (Russians excluded) to be a stupid bunch of loser idiots, from the western world. Catweazle - you should be ashamed of yourselfcoffee1.gif

A lesson should be:

Never give to Beggars.

Never give to Charities.

Ha ha ha ha morally bankrupt people. Ha ha ha wait a min, Ha hahahaaa. Bankrupt hahaahaha stop it your killing me hahahaahah. Budge over Jesus leave some room for me up there ha hhaahaahahahahahaaha

Excuse my limited capacity, but I cannot begin to fathom how African children got caught in the mix of this current topic. All these considered opinions, by some many expat farang "winners" from back home, living-out their remaining senior years in Thailand? Huh? whistling.gif Get yourselves "unconstipated", first! Then talk!