Screeching Noise

I have a Mazda 323 Astina. When I drive out of my drive in the morning there is a terrible screeching sound. It sounds like rubber friction to me. I thought then it could be the power steering, as it is when I turn tightly. It's not so bad when the car has warmed up.

This morning I sat in the car and revved the engine and when i got to high revs I heard this sound again.

Any ideas, thanks:jap:

I have a Mazda 323 Astina. When I drive out of my drive in the morning there is a terrible screeching sound. It sounds like rubber friction to me. I thought then it could be the power steering, as it is when I turn tightly. It's not so bad when the car has warmed up.

This morning I sat in the car and revved the engine and when i got to high revs I heard this sound again.

Any ideas, thanks:jap:

Maybe your fanbelt is worn out - that can screech.

Power steering belt mate, get it tightened or better still replace it, a few hundred Baht I think.

Cheers. Strange how it would make the noide when I am not using it though - just revving.

It's called inertia. When you rev it the engine gets up to rpm fast but if the belt is loose the power steering pump can not get up to speed due to the resistance it has to rotating thus the noise of the belt slipping. Simple adjustment or better still have it checked for possible replacement.

Just to re-infoce my ignorance of motors, where would I find this belt - I can't see it?

Open the bonnet (hood), locate the engine (that's the big, hot, oily thing) :o

Power steering belt is usually on the front of the engine behind the fan. One belt drives the fan, another the pump.

Probably best to have the garage chap do it, he will have the right size hammer :D

EDIT. Just occured to me, newish car = front wheel drive, ignore the above, the belt will be on the end of the engine you ought to be able to see the pulleys (may be a cover hiding it).

Edited by Crossy

On a Mazda Astina it'll be on the left hand side of the engine, you have no fan belt, only a timing belt, usually covered in a plastic box, and the belt that needs replacing will run from the air-con, power steering and alternator.

Get them to check the timing belt while you're at it. Not many Thais bother changing them at 100,000KLMs. If that goes then BIG trouble.

The other possible problem is that it could be a the alternator bearing worn out that happens a lot if the belt has been on to tight. Take it to a garage to have it check out as there is so many things it could be. :o

As everyone has said, it is almost certainly a drive belt of some form - alternator, water, air or power steer.

However it could be screeching for a variety of reasons...

The belt may be worn or loose and need replacing or tightening.

But why has it worn? Just old age or is one of the items it is driving got a problem...e.g. a worn bearing or shaft or out of alignment?

If it’s the alternator, your battery may not be charging.

If it is the waterpump you might be experiencing a coolant leak, so I'd check the water level, and look around the engine compartment for evidence of coolant.

Also an oily belt will screech. It is also possible that oil may be getting onto the belt from some unexpected source so check the oil and check to see if oil is being sprayed around by the belt.

Whatever the cause, it shouldn't be dear to fix.