Is no sales tax typical in Asian countries?

Ok, here's the best example ever of weird sales tax, first hand knowledge here....

Go to a subway in the states (not sure if this is every state), and order a nice cool sub, no tax.

Go to that same subway, the lady puts it in the toaster, now its taxed lol.

So good, only in America I swear. If you like em toasted maybe you could ask them to do it after you have paid, like a forgetful afterthought, ha.

Edited by meand

Ok, here's the best example ever of weird sales tax, first hand knowledge here....

Go to a subway in the states (not sure if this is every state), and order a nice cool sub, no tax.

Go to that same subway, the lady puts it in the toaster, now its taxed lol.

So good, only in America I swear. If you like em toasted maybe you could ask them to do it after you have paid, like a forgetful afterthought, ha.

It's exactly the same in the UK. Food is in general VAT free but with 2 main exceptions. If it is eaten on the premises or if it's is hot.

20% in the UK although some stuff is exempt and there's a lower rate of 5% on stuff like utility bills IIRC.

20% ? Really? Americans are, and should be, pissed off at 8% to 10%

20% in America would cause a revolt that would ne unstoppable. Those in the U.K. are too easy going apparently....

We work to provide for our family, not just the governments families, although at times it seems that we do provide more for them than our own.

the government is you. period

This has to be a troll post. I can't believe anyone would write this seriously. The only country without a sales tax is Malaysia, until next year....

Malaysia has GST. Dubai does not. I think Hong Kong still does not. I don't know about Monaco, BVI, Isle of Man, and I doubt whether you do, either

This has to be a troll post. I can't believe anyone would write this seriously. The only country without a sales tax is Malaysia, until next year....

Malaysia has GST. Dubai does not. I think Hong Kong still does not. I don't know about Monaco, BVI, Isle of Man, and I doubt whether you do, either

Monaco sales tax = 19.60% - reduced rate for food, books and various other items.

Sales taxes and VAT taxes are about as regressive a form of tax as can be. Just how they want it: make poor pay more than rich as percentage of income. I come from Oregon in USA: no sales tax there, and that's the way we like it.

Yes, Oregon is ranked with the lowest sales & excise tax rate in the 50 states; however, but, Oregon is ranked with the 3rd highest personal income tax. As mentioned earlier, usually those states with low or no local/state "sales/excise" taxes will have a high personal income tax. Just the approach the state decides to get its tax revenue. But for "overall" local/state taxes Oregon comes in near the lowest of all the states.

See this CNN link for rankings of states based on tax.