Thai PM Bemoans Divisive Soap Operas, Offers to Write Better Ones

Lite Beer

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Talk about jumping at your own shadow. It would be hard to find a cultural product less threatening to class and social hierarchy than Thai soaps, which confirm privilege and status at every turn. If these are divisive, it's hard to imagine what kind of mind-meltingly banal 'entertainment' you could replace them with. But never mind

I will write it myself

Good news for a change.

Edited by Zooheekock

come on all they need do is add in a few ghosts/evil spirits, lots of cheating, jealous gf's, rich people ripping off poor people and crooked police/govt officials and they can have virtually the same storyline as every other soap we see here, just like real life as they see it I suppose........

• Like 2

"Offers to Write Better Ones."

Of course he and so many others can write better ones. However, the goal isn't quality. It is increasing viewer ratings, and internationally, no matter which country, shallowness sells. Who is going to sponsor a soap opera no one is watching?

Edited by jaltsc

The straight-talking general also penned lyrics to a patriotic ballad - “Return Happiness to Thailand” - which is played by radio and television stations around the country.

....................by order.

“I have ordered that scripts be written, including plays on reconciliation, on tourism and on Thai culture,” Prayuth told reporters.

Presumably not including plays commemorating the Thammasat University massacre. Am I alone in finding this situation is growing increasingly Orwellian, maybe even Jong' ian, as in Kim, not as in Jungian?

But, but, but, but....Thaksin!

I wanted to be the first to offer the standard reply in argument.

AFAIK Prayuth is not demanding royalties for every time his song is played, or payment for his proposed scripts. Nor is he ordering banks issue billion baht loans to companies that suddenly fold. Notice the difference?

May as well write a soapy General, the stuff that's dished up at present is so low grade that you could turn it into sewerage and use for fertilizer for the rice farmers, maybe something like this handsome General falls in love with refugee and the family is against such arrangement, err yeah just a thought.coffee1.gif .

• Like 2

The straight-talking general also penned lyrics to a patriotic ballad - “Return Happiness to Thailand” - which is played by radio and television stations around the country.

....................by order.

“I have ordered that scripts be written, including plays on reconciliation, on tourism and on Thai culture,” Prayuth told reporters.

Presumably not including plays commemorating the Thammasat University massacre. Am I alone in finding this situation is growing increasingly Orwellian, maybe even Jong' ian, as in Kim, not as in Jungian?

Presumably also no series commemorating the valid efforts of simple red-shirts to restore democracy for their own 'elite' chap.

Fun aside if you watch some of the soaps you might agree with the PM on this. Never seen so many guntoting handsome guys slapping females. needing some of their mates to hold someone so it's easier to beat him, etc., etc.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

They've restricted freedom of speech, freedom of association, freedom of press, and academic debate. None of this was enough so they're moving on soaps. Of course all this is for the best, one can't have "Thai style" democracy without "Thai style" freedom of speech.

You never watched Thai soaps I guess, or did you and think that all that was perfectly acceptable, even in your own country?

• Like 2

They've restricted freedom of speech, freedom of association, freedom of press, and academic debate. None of this was enough so they're moving on soaps. Of course all this is for the best, one can't have "Thai style" democracy without "Thai style" freedom of speech.

You never watched Thai soaps I guess, or did you and think that all that was perfectly acceptable, even in your own country?

I'm confused, are you suggesting that it's a good idea for Prayuth to write the soaps?

I am so excited about this!

Politics combined with the "art" of rewriting Thai Soap Operas. What a fantastic and genius idea! So good for the country and all Thai-people. The first step to democracy, clearing all corruption and safety for all!

I just can't wait to see this. When can we expect the first show?

(Jumping around in excitement and joy)

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

I'm confused, are you suggesting that it's a good idea for Prayuth to write the soaps?

You confuse easily, don't you ?

I'm only suggesting that Thai soaps are awful and that I have no doubts that in the free Western World we would have various (different) protest groups agitating against such stereotype like depiction.

• Like 1