We have the cure for ebola, Bangkok's Siriraj Hospital announces

webfact

Apparently there is ONE patient in quarantine in Siriraj hospital with ebola-like symptoms now under observation. Perhaps they "cured" this individual and the news just went jumping for joy straight out the door. I can think of a few four-letter words right now but 'JOKE' is the cleanest.

Farang are just out right jealous because smart Thai doctors from Siriraj managed to cure Ebola first.

5555555! Nice trolling!

I think it's sarcasm based on some of chotthee's previous posts.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to its report, researchers at Siriraj Hospital have developed the world's first vaccine that can cure infected patients.

If they find any vaccine that can cure anything, that would truly be a Worlds's first. Vaccines prevent, cures cure, and never the twain shall meet (or, at least, haven't met yet). So, did they claim to find a vaccine or a cure? If they claimed both, is it two different discoveries? If they claimed both with one concoction, I'm calling bullshit. If they really have something, why do they announce that they are going to announce? Why not wait to be sure and just announce one time? Has any of their work been peer reviewed? Any human trials? I await the formal announcement with skepticism.

The team was able to develop a special kind of vaccine that would produce antibodies to cure the Ebola virus

Getting a case of Ebola will produce more antibodies than any vaccine but not enough to successfully fight it. You don't give polio vaccines to people who already have polio. There is no cure for polio. Currently, there is no vaccine to treat a disease you already have:

therapeutic vaccines seem to be on the horizon, they've seemed that way for a long time.

http://www.webmd.com/vaccines/features/treating-disease-with-vaccines

Thailand the HUB of wild/false claims. (and poor reporting)

BTW, Dallas just became the first American city to have a case of Ebola 'in the wild'. In other words the patient was not brought to Dallas to be treated but was found here, already infected. http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/09/30/cdc-confirms-patient-in-dallas-has-the-ebola-virus/

Edited by rametindallas
  • Like 1

If this is the case, it will be a huge boost for Thailand's R&D efforts. Thailand has previously, in no way, shape or form, been associated with R&D, so this would be huge news and very positive.

http://www.clinicaltrials.in.th/index.php?tp=regtrials&menu=trialsearch&smenu=lsresult&task=search&task2=ls&opage=0

on the top you can click to see more clinical trials - studies

although thailand does not seem to be an innovation center there certainly is no shortage of competent physicians / researchers. they also commonly are involved in joint projects with other countries - and or companies.

i had a chance to review a pre- US medical journal article submission and it was absolutely up to standard.

saying a vaccine will cure ebola is incorrect nomenclature but the general intent is understood.

lets see on thursday

In my village everybody was being vaccinated against Ebola at the temple yesterday for free ( i wasn't invited ) The wife said i could go along and would be vaccinated for free as well ( she asked the village chief ) i decided not to have an injection that hasn't been tested properly,this isn't Siera Leon.

In my village everybody was being vaccinated against Ebola at the temple yesterday for free ( i wasn't invited ) The wife said i could go along and would be vaccinated for free as well ( she asked the village chief ) i decided not to have an injection that hasn't been tested properly,this isn't Siera Leon.

Are you serious?w00t.gif

Are you serious?w00t.gif

That's what the wife told me, mind you she is Thai, i didn't go and have a look myself

Are you serious?w00t.gif

That's what the wife told me, mind you she is Thai, i didn't go and have a look myself

She made a mistake or is being conned in some way.

Ebola vaccines aren't available in Thailand, they aren't out of the experimental stage, and have only been injected into a few dozen patients in the US and UK, as part of a hugely hurried trial. It was expected that development would take another five or so years, but the recent outbreak panicked researchers into trying them out on a few human volunteers.

Nobody even knows if these experimental vaccines work or not., so there is no vaccination program here.

Lord knows what would have been done at this temple!

Are you serious?w00t.gif

She made a mistake or is being conned in some way.

Ebola vaccines aren't available in Thailand, they aren't out of the experimental stage, and have only been injected into a few dozen patients in the US and UK, as part of a hugely hurried trial. It was expected that development would take another five or so years, but the recent outbreak panicked researchers into trying them out on a few human volunteers.

Nobody even knows if these experimental vaccines work or not., so there is no vaccination program here.

Lord knows what would have been done at this temple!

you are right, i just asked her how she knew it was for Ebola, she didn't, she just assumed it was. ''So you just got vaccinated for something but you don't know what for'' ?? ''yes''

I was wrong they had a press conference today it looks good. They probably need billions of dollars to advance the project,

America England and the EU has to send money at once

Write to lawmakers at home to send money

The UK, not just England, is in the EU

More misinformation from the Nation.

An expert (?) professor casts doubt on the novelty of the Siriraj announcement, but in doing so says some pretty crazy things about how there are "many freely available, widely-used and effective anti-Ebola serums on the market".

This couldn't be more wrong. Far from being "freely available, and widely used" the one commercial antibody treatment (ZMapp - a mixture of monoclonal antibodies to Ebola) has run out. It was all used up in early trials and there was only enough for 7 or 8 people. It has not been proven to work.

Approaches using serum taken from human or animal survivors of Ebola, which should contain protective antibodies that might possibly cure the disease are experimental, NOT freely available, not widely used and not known to be effective.

If they were then why would there be an Ebola panic?

Blame bad reporting I hope , and not the quality of the "expert" knowledge:

EDIT: just seen the report in the paper that dare not speak its name, (google siriraj ebola) about what they actually did, and it was EXACTLY what I predicted in post #238 above.

They have made a single monoclonal antibody to the Ebola virus and have no evidence of any efficacy against the disease.

This has been done many times before all over the world, and a single monoclonal is very very unlikely to ever be therapeutically useful. Silly really.

Anti-Ebola serums 'nothing new'
The Nation October 1, 2014 1:00 am

A government expert on virology, Professor Emeritus Prasert Thongcharoen, said yesterday that the anti-Ebola serums in the market were still effective and widely used. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Anti-Ebola-serums-nothing-new-30244519.html

He was responding to news reports about a Siriraj Hospital doctor coming up with anti-Ebola serum. Prasert said he did not know the details, but it could have just been a study about an antibody that could be developed into a serum.

There are now five types of certified and proven serums depending on production methods and sources of antibody agents, including one extracted from the blood of Ebola patients, which has been certified by the World Health Organisation.

Edited by partington

Today is Thursday and I haven't heard anything about the miraculous Ebola cure, I guess they got it wrong like everything else a Thai tries to accomplish.

Browsing to bangkok post website, you will see the news of press conference.

Thai hospital says it has Ebola cure, could be mass produced within a year

Doctors at Siriraj Hosptial in Bangkok claim to have developed an antibody using human genes that could cure Ebola patients, but more tests are needed before production can begin.

BANGKOK: Doctors at the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hosptial, Mahidol University in Bangkok, Thailand claim that they have developed a new antibody that could cure Ebola patients. The antibody could be a year away from being produced on a large scale, they said.

In a press conference on Thursday (Oct 2), the hospital announced that it has produced antibodies against Ebola that are small enough to enter infected cells, and also access the virus proteins within the cell.

The research will also result in a cure that is more efficient and effective than other potential cures, say the doctors. There is currently no vaccine or cure for Ebola, but an experimental drug, ZMapp, is currently undergoing testing.

More here - ChannelNewsAsia

Thai hospital says it has Ebola cure, could be mass produced within a year

Doctors at Siriraj Hosptial in Bangkok claim to have developed an antibody using human genes that could cure Ebola patients, but more tests are needed before production can begin.

BANGKOK: Doctors at the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hosptial, Mahidol University in Bangkok, Thailand claim that they have developed a new antibody that could cure Ebola patients. The antibody could be a year away from being produced on a large scale, they said.

In a press conference on Thursday (Oct 2), the hospital announced that it has produced antibodies against Ebola that are small enough to enter infected cells, and also access the virus proteins within the cell.

The research will also result in a cure that is more efficient and effective than other potential cures, say the doctors. There is currently no vaccine or cure for Ebola, but an experimental drug, ZMapp, is currently undergoing testing.

More here - ChannelNewsAsia

Uh-huh.

Sorta like Jean Dixon's predictions back in the 70's in American newspapers.

None of them came true either, but by the time they were supposed to have, everyone had already moved on.

Sounded impressive when she made 'em, though.

So it sounds as if they have an in vitro process that could possibly maybe perhaps eventually become part of some future medicinal application, either a vaccine or a treatment.

I think they jumped the gun a year too early on this one. At least do some in vivo trials before making such a grand announcement.

What worries me is according to Bangkok Post there's no level 4 bio-safety facility in Thailand and they are messing around with synthesized Ebola genes blink.png

Thats the whole point: they have never had the virus in their possession, they just made a gene that makes part of a single protein that the virus has.

This is not dangerous in any way.

Think of it like this: if the whole virus was a gun, they have made the equivalent of one of the wooden panels on the grip, and don't have any of the other parts.

The advance they are reporting here - making humanised antibodies to Ebola- was first done in 1999 in the US, and hasn't yet led to a treatment, so they are being very very very very optimistic indeed, thinking a cure based on their own work is a year, or even 10 years ,away

See this 1999 paper where it was first announced: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9988189

Edited by partington
  • Like 1

The advance they are reporting here - making humanised antibodies to Ebola- was first done in 1999 in the US, and hasn't yet led to a treatment, so they are being very very very very optimistic indeed, thinking a cure based on their own work is a year, or even 10 years ,away

But its a first on planet Thailand

• Like 1