Why isn't Hyundai a better seller in Tailand?

giddyup

Yes that one is here.. https://www.hyundai-motor.co.th/ElantraSport/ starts @ 749,000 baht.

Believe there will be 4 models here coming from Indonesia and Malaysia, so a lot cheaper... as not full imports duty..

My friend and I recently purchased a car (Honda City) in Thailand and considered this car.

Ultimately, Honda won out due to "inconvenience" factor. There were dealers everywhere including one walking distance from my friend's work location. And,who doesn't drive Honda City in BKK? It should be easy to get parts and service for this car.

We weren't as sure about Hyundai parts and service availability so passed on in (although I think this car

is better than Honda City).

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would be like driving a green house.

Not to mention the front and rear are butt ugly.

Some people only like vanilla icecream and they only like vanilla cars.

You seemed to be confused between ugly and vanilla.

You stick with the safe "cookie cutter" shapes, obviously anything that differs too far from the conventional offends your blancmange tastes.

Edited by Rooo
Resized picture

Yes that one is here.. https://www.hyundai-motor.co.th/ElantraSport/ starts @ 749,000 baht.

Believe there will be 4 models here coming from Indonesia and Malaysia, so a lot cheaper... as not full imports duty..

My friend and I recently purchased a car (Honda City) in Thailand and considered this car.

Ultimately, Honda won out due to "inconvenience" factor. There were dealers everywhere including one walking distance from my friend's work location. And,who doesn't drive Honda City in BKK? It should be easy to get parts and service for this car.

We weren't as sure about Hyundai parts and service availability so passed on in (although I think this car

is better than Honda City).

"And,who doesn't drive Honda City in BKK?"

Me, for one, and literally millions of others.

I've had two Hyundai's in Thailand, albeit a few years ago. The the main agent ripped us off over part costs consistently - overcharging, and replacing parts without asking first; the cars when new were fine as all cars should be, but after about 3 years we had endless reliability problems. The Elantra in particular broken down frequently despite being regularly serviced and maintained by Hyundai. We changed to Honda and found them to be very reliable over long periods (5-7 years) and better built. Personally. I'd never buy another Hyundai.

I've had two Hyundai's in Thailand, albeit a few years ago. The the main agent ripped us off over part costs consistently - overcharging, and replacing parts without asking first; the cars when new were fine as all cars should be, but after about 3 years we had endless reliability problems. The Elantra in particular broken down frequently despite being regularly serviced and maintained by Hyundai. We changed to Honda and found them to be very reliable over long periods (5-7 years) and better built. Personally. I'd never buy another Hyundai.

I had a little Hyunda Getz 1.5 in Australia, bought it new with a 5 year warranty (I believe they give even longer now), try finding a car in Thailand with a 5 year warranty. In the 5 years the only thing I had to replace (besides engine oil) was a battery. The Getz won Car of the Year twice in Australia, they don't give that award to rubbish.

"And,who doesn't drive Honda City in BKK?"

Me, for one, and literally millions of others.

I see that idiosyncrasies of the English language is lost on you ... probably went right through the holes in Swiss Cheese.biggrin.png

Well said.About as stupid as saying how good a Car is in another country.Were here not in America n Ozz.

I had a little Hyunda Getz 1.5 in Australia, bought it new with a 5 year warranty (I believe they give even longer now), try finding a car in Thailand with a 5 year warranty. In the 5 years the only thing I had to replace (besides engine oil) was a battery. The Getz won Car of the Year twice in Australia, they don't give that award to rubbish.

whistling.gif

http://www.kia.com/th/Service/Warranty/index.htm

whistling.gif

It's in Thai, so I have no idea what it says, but I assume you are saying that Kia offers a similar warranty to the Hyundai in Australia, and how many Kias do you see on the road in Thailand? They are also a big seller in Australia, especially the Rio, but aren't popular in Thailand.

The H-1 minibus is very popular in Thailand. We own one and it is a great family mover for the travelling to my Thai relatives in the Isaan. Wie are living in Hua Hin and the nearest dealer is located in Bangkok... But the service is good.

I always look at the other typen when waiting for the service than. The Elantra looks very good, far more better than the equivalent Honda and Toyota models. I also take a look at the Tucson, but it is too expensive. We have then chosen the new CX-5 (Diesel) for or all-day family car.

whistling.gif

It's in Thai, so I have no idea what it says, but I assume you are saying that Kia offers a similar warranty to the Hyundai in Australia, and how many Kias do you see on the road in Thailand? They are also a big seller in Australia, especially the Rio, but aren't popular in Thailand.

Yep 5 year warranty in Thailand, but 7 in the UK. Strange where labour is much cheaper here they offer shorter.

Dealership has just opened in Chonburi. Seen quite a few picantos. Wouldn't mind a Proceed GT if they drive anything like they look and available here.

Seen a lot of those Veloster thingies in Laos. First one i saw, i double took, stopped and had a good look around. Neat, different design and IMO a great looking car.

I'm surprised, don't know why, but I never thought of Laos as a place for cars like the Veloster. I wonder how much the import duties are into Laos?

I had a great Hyundai for 9 years before coming here. It had good resale value, required very little maintance and got good gas mileage. My niece bought one exactly like the one pictured above and loves it for L.A. traffic and two kids. Some people just don't know a good deal when they see it.

They have come along way, I like many of the styles they are producing. Not sure if they have a plant here or not but if not you have the 30-40% markup so much for global economy? Plus they do not have network in place throughout Thailand so like most imports stay close to home where as say like the Thais buy Toyota you can get parts and fix them anywhere you travel? If you have one and live in Bangkok or Pattaya you are o.k. but outside upcountry it breaks down then what?

Before I get knocked, I have no proof of my opinion just what I read etc. it's just a opinion and feeling?

Only an American could like the looks of a car that has a front looking like a ten ton truck.

I'm an Australian and I love it. Ridiculous comment

Some people will find an excuse to insert their anti american feelings anywhere they see an opportunity....if its relevant to the topic, I don't mind a good "yank" bashing, but this was so far from on topic, not even funny

• Like 1

My niece bought one exactly like the one pictured above and loves it for L.A. traffic and two kids. Some people just don't know a good deal when they see it.

The base model is 18k in the USA, that same base model here is 1.3 million.

Do you still think it is a good deal at more than double the cost ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/662395-hyundai-veloster-any-opinions/

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

The main reason that would prevent me from buying most Hyundais is the styling - that example you show is proof that the cars are just plain ugly!

That said, that people mover van thingy is kinda nice . . .

Thais do buy imported cars of course, take a look at how many expensive Euro cars ride the streets of BKK, damn things are everywhere.

Maybe Hyundai should lift their prices in Thailand.

The main reason that would prevent me from buying most Hyundais is the styling - that example you show is proof that the cars are just plain ugly!

Thais do buy imported cars of course, take a look at how many expensive Euro cars ride the streets of BKK, damn things are everywhere.

Have you even looked at the Hyundai lineup before you make such a silly statement? Have a look at some of their model here and still stick by the remark that they make ugly cars. https://www.hyundaiusa.com/genesis/comparison.aspx and here https://www.hyundaiusa.com/sonata/comparison.aspx

Edited by giddyup

Have you even looked at the Hyundai lineup before you make such a silly statement? Have a look at some of their model here and still stick by the remark that they make ugly cars. https://www.hyundaiusa.com/genesis/comparison.aspx and here https://www.hyundaiusa.com/sonata/comparison.aspx

I've seen a couple of Sonata's on the road in Chiang Mai and it certainly had a wow factor for me and had me starring and once followed one to be sure I was seeing Hyundai badge on it. I would probably got one if they had US prices on it here ($25k). But with it in the same price range as Accord, Camry, etc. I would have to evaluate my thoughts on it a bit. Saw that the Thailand Hyundai site shows neither the Sonata or Genesis series available so assume the ones I saw were either grey import or special order.

Before exiting the US I had owned 77 autos, ( 2 every year ), ranging in price from $ 8,000 to $ 45,000 and spent a lot of time/money on all but 3. 1 Hyundai and then, 2 Kias, each costing about $ 8,000 or 1/5th the cost of the Porsche 944 they replaced .All 3 always got me from Point A to Point B without 1 failure and I never had to return to either dealer for any repair or replacement. These cars, made in the same plant, were very basic and had, and probably still have, the longest, ( 10 year ), motor train warranty of any auto made regardless of cost.

A bonus was that I didn't have to drink German wine anymore nor be paranoid about where/how I parked.

The one thing they didn't have was "status appeal " for the upward bound. " You drive a what " ? and, I believe that is why their sales are so low.

Before exiting the US I had owned 77 autos, ( 2 every year ), ranging in price from $ 8,000 to $ 45,000 and spent a lot of time/money on all but 3. 1 Hyundai and then, 2 Kias, each costing about $ 8,000 or 1/5th the cost of the Porsche 944 they replaced .All 3 always got me from Point A to Point B without 1 failure and I never had to return to either dealer for any repair or replacement. These cars, made in the same plant, were very basic and had, and probably still have, the longest, ( 10 year ), motor train warranty of any auto made regardless of cost.

A bonus was that I didn't have to drink German wine anymore nor be paranoid about where/how I parked.

The one thing they didn't have was "status appeal " for the upward bound. " You drive a what " ? and, I believe that is why their sales are so low.

I think the perception will change as Hyundai starts to cater more to the luxury and sports car market. Their top of the range Equus is over $60,000 in the US.

I have looked at new Hyundai, I think I know why they don't sell here.

It's because there are still lots of earlier Hyundai's around to remind people how truly awful they used to be.

If you look at a 1999 Hyundai Sonata for example and compare it with a 1999 Toyota Corolla you will see a world of difference. On the toyota you wold expect most of the car to still work and be in one piece, the Hyundai by contrast will have broken switches and stuff and the bumpers will have cracked and been repaired many time..

If you don't understand what I mean, just test drive a 90's Hyundai. The engines are fine by the way, but everything else let them down.

I know the new ones are much better, but the evidence of past mistakes is all around us and it makes it hard for people to put their trust in the brand.

I have looked at new Hyundai, I think I know why they don't sell here.

It's because there are still lots of earlier Hyundai's around to remind people how truly awful they used to be.

If you look at a 1999 Hyundai Sonata for example and compare it with a 1999 Toyota Corolla you will see a world of difference. On the toyota you wold expect most of the car to still work and be in one piece, the Hyundai by contrast will have broken switches and stuff and the bumpers will have cracked and been repaired many time..

If you don't understand what I mean, just test drive a 90's Hyundai. The engines are fine by the way, but everything else let them down.

I know the new ones are much better, but the evidence of past mistakes is all around us and it makes it hard for people to put their trust in the brand.

I'm not sure that they sold many of the early models here for people to still remember that they weren't that great. Australia got the same early models, the Excel being one that sold well but wasn't put together that well, and yet Hyundai and Kia (also made a few dogs earlier on) are big sellers now.