good things do happen

pigeonjake

What are you building? (just being nosy, you don't have to answer)

I had a good do last night too. Left me phone, wallet in a cab last night as I came home a bit the worse for wear and this morning the security came to the house and bought it back from the cabbie who is about to take me into town and get a savage tip.

• Like 1

Well i go to this shop come restaurant come bar,not i hasten to add because it's cheap,and am always offered free food along with my purchase of beer,my thai girlfriend,who seemingly is always hungry enjoys the hours there.

I on the otherhand being a farang can get along with just 1 good meal a day,but then i enjoy it just as much not for the same reason as her but because she cant yack yack at me whilst eating,so ty thailand for being my friend lol.

• Like 1

I had a good do last night too. Left me phone, wallet in a cab last night as I came home a bit the worse for wear and this morning the security came to the house and bought it back from the cabbie who is about to take me into town and get a savage tip.

hi R/T,

im building a small barn for my tractor and straw,

there is pics of the project for a bit of fun in the farming section in shaggys farm photos thread,

but here it is at the start, and day 2 when rain stoped play,

i like to be busy, im not a bricky but my dad was,lol

jake

ps im rained off today too, that why im on here

post-32351-0-59984600-1412753482_thumb.j

post-32351-0-11328100-1412753594_thumb.j

• Like 2

Left my passport holder along with 20,000+ baht at the cashier counter in Paragon Emporium.

They called Bangkok Bank (because I had an ATM card from them). Bangkok Bank gave them my phone number, and they called me.

All this before I realized my wallet was missing. Refused my repeated attempts to give them a reward as well. They kept saying, "It's our job."

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

I have a couple of threads running about this.

I agree with OP; when at my home neighbourhood, I am never cheated and have had a similar experience of being mistakenly overcharged and refunded without even knowing I had paid too much. I reciprocate and sometimes realise I have mistakenly not paid the correct amount and pay up.Not in tourist zones though and when it is obvious I am resident and where mutual trust is the glue that binds a community.

• Like 1

hi R/T,

im building a small barn for my tractor and straw,

there is pics of the project for a bit of fun in the farming section in shaggys farm photos thread,

but here it is at the start, and day 2 when rain stoped play,

i like to be busy, im not a bricky but my dad was,lol

jake

ps im rained off today too, that why im on here

Good onya Jake....hope you have a ball. AND a few beers when it's finished...

P.S. raining here too mate.

• Like 1

The old Car I bought has ongoing mechanical issues.

Drove to Bangkok over the week-end ... getting a droning sound from the front right wheel.

With the car, I always discuss the issues with the gf's old man ... bush mechanic ... fix almost anything.

Suggested to him maybe it was the wheel bearings.

It's lightly raining now at the Farm ... he's bored.

Off comes the wheels. didn't just grease the front right, but in 'un-Thai' fashion, planned for the future and greased the front left also ... thumbsup.gif

post-104736-0-06384900-1412760847.jpg

Still raining ... god bless him.

Look at this photo and you see a low slung East-West front wheel drive engine with some low hanging pulleys.

post-104736-0-90765100-1412760844.jpg

That belt picks up water and other crap ... he's currently building a guard around it so that it doesn't spray into the engine bay next time.

No-one asked him to do it ... just a good hearted Thai Father who loves his Family and generally takes care where he sees merit.

Thank God he sees merit in me ... wink.png

PS ... no money asked for.

Edited by David48
  • Like 2

Of course good things happen, Thais are not that different from other people you got good and bad. The only problem is that we as foreigners often perceive everything that goes wrong as targeted at the foreigner. (at times its true but other times its not). Its quite comparable with foreigners back home who think that rejection for a job always is based on skin color and not capabilities. While this might be the case at times its not always so.

Just like its here we often blame everything on being foreigner instead of accepting that good and bad happens to the locals too.

i like this post rob,,

i think like you that when something goes wrong it is allways the thai that is doing something or other to the foreigner,

there is good and bad in all,

shame we dont get some more good storys, instead of some of the rubish thats on here,,

thanks mate

I was at a Tesco Express last week. I bought 100 baht worth of stuff and handed the girl a 1000 baht note. Looked at the change and saw 5 bills -- OK a 500 note + 4 100's. Later looked in my wallet and saw 1400 baht -- she had given me a 1000 baht note change instead of a 500 baht. Went back and corrected.

I would have done the same, I expect others to help me too if i make a mistake so its only fair if do the same.

• Like 2

I was at a Tesco Express last week. I bought 100 baht worth of stuff and handed the girl a 1000 baht note. Looked at the change and saw 5 bills -- OK a 500 note + 4 100's. Later looked in my wallet and saw 1400 baht -- she had given me a 1000 baht note change instead of a 500 baht. Went back and corrected.

I would have done the same, I expect others to help me too if i make a mistake so its only fair if do the same.

I'm obviously a wrong un,I would of took the money and went on my merry way.

At least I'm honest about being a thief.

• Like 1

Your life your choice... for me it just would not feel right.

Wife had baby delivered by "C" section and had a small cyst removed at same time in BKK Pattaya hospital paid the bill but by the time we got home 20 minutes away they phoned to tell us that we over paid and come back to get the 17000 baht over payment

• Like 1

The old Car I bought has ongoing mechanical issues.

Drove to Bangkok over the week-end ... getting a droning sound from the front right wheel.

With the car, I always discuss the issues with the gf's old man ... bush mechanic ... fix almost anything.

Suggested to him maybe it was the wheel bearings.

It's lightly raining now at the Farm ... he's bored.

Off comes the wheels. didn't just grease the front right, but in 'un-Thai' fashion, planned for the future and greased the front left also ... thumbsup.gif

post-104736-0-06384900-1412760847.jpg

Still raining ... god bless him.

Look at this photo and you see a low slung East-West front wheel drive engine with some low hanging pulleys.

post-104736-0-90765100-1412760844.jpg

That belt picks up water and other crap ... he's currently building a guard around it so that it doesn't spray into the engine bay next time.

No-one asked him to do it ... just a good hearted Thai Father who loves his Family and generally takes care where he sees merit.

PS ... no money asked for.

You're sure the poor man isn't blind ? biggrin.png

Great post Jake. Yes, the majority of Thais are just plain honest (especially 'in the sticks'). It is the "small things" that I enjoy.

Being served a complementary bowl of noodles whilst having a puncture repaired. Having a house built, and the supplier throws in a box of tiles. Getting a haircut and being offered a glass of water.

I have also learnt that by reciprocating, it not only pleases them; but us also.

I toss the truck driver a bottle of "Lao Khao" whiskey when he comes to pump out our septic. We give the couple that turn up on their motorbike with ice-creams a small tip.....

We never see that 'back home'.

• Like 1

Great post Jake. Yes, the majority of Thais are just plain honest (especially 'in the sticks'). It is the "small things" that I enjoy.

Being served a complementary bowl of noodles whilst having a puncture repaired. Having a house built, and the supplier throws in a box of tiles. Getting a haircut and being offered a glass of water.

I have also learnt that by reciprocating, it not only pleases them; but us also.

I toss the truck driver a bottle of "Lao Khao" whiskey when he comes to pump out our septic. We give the couple that turn up on their motorbike with ice-creams a small tip.....

We never see that 'back home'.

your right mate,

i can remember taking the m/bike to town once, and got a bloody puncture, could speak thai very well then,

found the tire shop, went in, took this bloke outside showed him,

he sat me down, gave me some water out the fridge , got the bike, put a new tube in it,

and it was only 150bht,,

life is good here mate, as in another thread going,,

i love it

jake

• Like 2

ps..

another update pic of my barn im building,,, shssssssssssss, i dont have a work permit,,,

this is day 3 as ive been rained off for a day, and yesterday i only worked till 11 and was told by the boss to come in its to hot,,,

and she was right,

and before anyone says why dont i pay some one to build it for me,

the answer is i could,,,, BUT i enjoy doing things,, i cant just sit about doing nothing, so i allways find things to do,

i even make my own lincolnshire, cumberland and old english sausage,, and there greatttttttttttttttttttttt

jake

post-32351-0-96168000-1412942284_thumb.j

post-32351-0-38742800-1412942370_thumb.j

Then the poor girl would have had 500 baht deducted from her salary, not very nice.

Went for a swim with my 3.5 girl late august, only had a 500B note, they had no change.

I said don't mind, I'll have my change back next visit.

But I disappeared to Europe for the month of September.

Came back for a swim a few days ago, asked "how much" and got 100B back.

They did not forget, I did....

• Like 1

Living in Phuket, a mom and popshop owner calling me back at the car to collect the change of 12 bth from a couple of packs of cigarettes.

I said...but but i am a foreigner. His replied that everybody is similar. I was pleasantly surprised because where i lived that time a shopowner charged me always a higher price.

After that i went always to that same shop to buy small stuff.

Edited by benalibina