AirAsia passport expiry proof help needed

My wife is flying in to DMK from NRT direct on a Thai passport with less than 6 months on it.

I know that a Thai citizen can come back to Thailand with any time left on the passport ( or with an expired passport) but AirAsia want to see that information from an official source.

We have tried searching the web but can not find anywhere that states this.

The IATA web site says the travel is OK but does not show the statement for Thai nationals.

If any one knows where we can find the information so we can print it out we would be grateful.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Just filled out the IATA checklist with an expired passport for Thai national, result 'Yes, The documentation you hold is sufficient based on your details and the itinerary provided.'

AA though officially requires 6 months validity, irrespective of a country's entry requirements.

Edited by stevenl

Just filled out the IATA checklist with an expired passport for Thai national, result 'Yes, The documentation you hold is sufficient based on your details and the itinerary provided.'

AA though officially requires 6 months validity, irrespective of a country's entry requirements.

We got the "yes" but it's not enough

Thanks

This is what the IATA database came up with when I entered all the required info on this website: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

"in_on_no.gif

Passport required.

- Nationals of Thailand are allowed to enter with expired

passports."

Thanks

That is better. I'll call airasia later to see if they'll accept that.

If anyone finds anything (in Thai is OK) more official it could help

The IATA website just gives you a yes or a no. The one I posted gives you detailed info and states it is from the IATA.

Edit: We were posting at the same time. The yes or no is why I don't use the other one plus it requires a lot more info to get the yes or no.

I don't think it is an Air Asia policy though from my experience they are quicker than others to find a problem. Possibly because that way they can sell seats twice.

I had exactly this issue with them in Saigon. The check-in clerk tried to make an issue because my passport's expiry was 6 months from that day. I'm not sure what would have happened had I not known for a fact that this is not a requirement for my nationality entering Thailand and was able to stand my ground.

I don't think it is an Air Asia policy though from my experience they are quicker than others to find a problem. Possibly because that way they can sell seats twice.

I had exactly this issue with them in Saigon. The check-in clerk tried to make an issue because my passport's expiry was 6 months from that day. I'm not sure what would have happened had I not known for a fact that this is not a requirement for my nationality entering Thailand and was able to stand my ground.

It is, mentioned in their booking conditions. If they want to stand their ground they can, irrespective of the entry requirements for the country you're traveling to.

Edited by stevenl

It is, mentioned in their booking conditions. If they want to stand their ground they can, irrespective of the entry requirements for the country you're traveling to.
Not quite the conditions are

Passport

If you are traveling anywhere overseas, you need a passport to board an international flight and to enter any country. In general, your passport must be valid for at least six months after the date you enter a foreign country.

Visas

Every country has its own set of rules regarding the entry of visitors from different nationalities. For some countries, it is a requirement that passports have to be valid for a minimum period before they will issue a visa. Some countries grant visas upon your arrival. Before you fly, do ensure that you check the latest information on visas or entry requirements to the country you are flying to.

For more information, read more at:

IATA Travel Centre - Passport, Visa & Health travel document requirements

Though the checkin policy is that non nationals must have 6 months or a letter (on official paper from the embassy or immigration of the destination country) stating that the passport holder will be permitted to enter the destination country.

I now have confirmation that my wife will be boarded to Thailand with no problem but must checkin at the airport. This due to the web checkin paying no attention to her nationality and destination country.

However on return despite having a 3 year visa and Japan having no rule for visa holders, she must have 6 months on her passport

Passport

If you are traveling anywhere overseas, you need a passport to board an international flight and to enter any country. In general, your passport must be valid for at least six months after the date you enter a foreign country.

Visas

Every country has its own set of rules regarding the entry of visitors from different nationalities. For some countries, it is a requirement that passports have to be valid for a minimum period before they will issue a visa. Some countries grant visas upon your arrival. Before you fly, do ensure that you check the latest information on visas or entry requirements to the country you are flying to.

Though the checkin policy is that non nationals must have 6 months or a letter (on official paper from the embassy or immigration of the destination country) stating that the passport holder will be permitted to enter the destination country.

I now have confirmation that my wife will be boarded to Thailand with no problem but must checkin at the airport. This due to the web checkin paying no attention to her nationality and destination country.

However on return despite having a 3 year visa and Japan having no rule for visa holders, she must have 6 months on her passport

Guess it depends on which Air Asia you book. For Thai Air Asia is clearly says in their conditions:

"International Routes: All passengers traveling on international routes must possess valid passports with at least six (6) months’ validity and the applicable valid visas."

See http://www.airasia.com/th/en/about-us/terms-and-conditions-fd.page

Edited by stevenl

Passport

Visas

Guess it depends on which Air Asia you book. For Thai Air Asia is clearly says in their conditions:

"International Routes: All passengers traveling on international routes must possess valid passports with at least six (6) months validity and the applicable valid visas."

That is for FD flights we are on an XJ flight (before D7). It looks as if the terms and conditions vary depending on the flight code, but it is in there.

Airasia is the only airline I've noticed having more than one prefix for its flights.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

That is for FD flights we are on an XJ flight (before D7). It looks as if the terms and conditions vary depending on the flight code, but it is in there.

Airasia is the only airline I've noticed having more than one prefix for its flights.

It's because "Air Asia" (the brand, website, etc.) isn't a single company, it's a network of independent companies and joint ventures that share the common "Air Asia" branding. Air Asia itself (AK) generally has a stake in each of the individual companies but the rest is owned by other investors, often local to the particular country the particular airline is operating out of due to foreign ownership restrictions.

Air Asia X (D7), the long haul arm, is 16% owned by Air Asia.

Thai AirAsia (FD) is 45% owned by AirAsia.

Passport

Visas

"International Routes: All passengers traveling on international routes must possess valid passports with at least six (6) months validity and the applicable valid visas."

Check condition 6.6 on your XJ flight:

"Documents Advisory: All passengers travelling on international routes must possess valid passports with at least six (6) months' validity and the applicable valid visas. Such passengers shall also possess a return or an onward journey ticket."

http://www.airasia.com/th/en/about-us/terms-and-conditions-xj.page

Those conditions are general in nature. They would have to list every countries different requirements otherwise.

They are certainly not etched in stone as can be seen from Air Asia agreeing that a Thai does not require 6 months passport validity to enter Thailand.

There are a few certain occasions where common sense CAN penetrate the Japanese obsession of following rules exactly as written.

This is one of them.

The girl at the Air Asia counter may have to make 4 phone calls to get permission from everyone in management but eventually

your Thai wife will be issued a boarding pass. Actually it will probably not even be mentioned.

Edited by arunsakda

Those conditions are general in nature. They would have to list every countries different requirements otherwise.

They are certainly not etched in stone as can be seen from Air Asia agreeing that a Thai does not require 6 months passport validity to enter Thailand.

Not necessery to mention all countries, see article 6.5 in which they say the traveler must make sure all entry documents for the destination country are valid.

But on top of that AA has a general requirement: 6 months passport validity. Sure they can deviate from that, but they can also stick to that requirement if it suits them. It sounds in the case of the OP they are willing to deviate, fortunately for him.

They "better" deviate. Otherwise when is found that their requirements contravene a given country regulations, they can be liable for having refused boarding.

Nonsense.

This has nothing to do with a country's entry requirements but with AA's flight requirements, as clearly stated in their booking conditions.

They can even require 10 years validity still on the passport if they choose so, however the number of frequent flyers would reduce drastically.

They "better" deviate. Otherwise when is found that their requirements contravene a given country regulations, they can be liable for having refused boarding.

Nonsense.

This has nothing to do with a country's entry requirements but with AA's flight requirements, as clearly stated in their booking conditions.

They can even require 10 years validity still on the passport if they choose so, however the number of frequent flyers would reduce drastically.

What I'm trying to tell you, is that if they set unreasonable requirements, is not like just their passenger drops, but they will be in breach of contract for no valid reason, and liable for reimbursement and damage. You know, a "common carrier" has certain obligations under international law and accept business practice.

Nonsense.

What I'm trying to tell you, is that if they set unreasonable requirements, is not like just their passenger drops, but they will be in breach of contract for no valid reason, and liable for reimbursement and damage. You know, a "common carrier" has certain obligations under international law and accept business practice.

Sorry Paz, but no. 6 months passport validity as a flight requirement is not unreasonable since many countries have that entry requirement. And how can it be breach of contract, this requirement is clearly written in the contract.

Sorry Paz, but no. 6 months passport validity as a flight requirement is not unreasonable since many countries have that entry requirement. And how can it be breach of contract, this requirement is clearly written in the contract.

Not Thailand and not all countries. That is what you fail to understand.

"No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" is the same as "No 6 Month Passport Validity, No Ticket". They have a right refuse service to those that do not have what is required. The statement is most ;likely there to protect AA from any liability caused by one of their employees not applying the correct set of conditions so they tell them "6 month passport validity" across the board and there is no room for human. error.

• Like 1

"No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" is the same as "No 6 Month Passport Validity, No Ticket". They have a right refuse service to those that do not have what is required. The statement is most ;likely there to protect AA from any liability caused by one of their employees not applying the correct set of conditions so they tell them "6 month passport validity" across the board and there is no room for human. error.

Another mistaken one. Here's an example of what happens to airlines that think they know better

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/exclusive-airlines-settle-6m-lawsuit-death-bronx-woman-fat-fly-home-article-1.1931576

Airlines business is not the same as your local bar with the sign "right to refuse service".

I'm not sure where there is any connection with my post and the link that you provided where the person was just too fat to fit on the plane. It's not "another mistaken one" as airlines are just like any other business and have the right to refuse to anyone that does not meet their requirements. Try boarding a flight where you currently are without a "picture ID".

The person that is refused the service always has the right to pursue a settlement through legal means and the person/company being sued can always settle the dispute out of court to avoid negative publicity but it is not an admission off guilt.

I'm not sure where there is any connection with my post and the link that you provided where the person was just too fat to fit on the plane. It's not "another mistaken one" as airlines are just like any other business and have the right to refuse to anyone that does not meet their requirements. Try boarding a flight where you currently are without a "picture ID".

The person that is refused the service always has the right to pursue a settlement through legal means and the person/company being sued can always settle the dispute out of court to avoid negative publicity but it is not an admission off guilt.

The connection is that probably a number of airline employees was thinking to be right when the denied boarding to that passenger.

Well, it turned out they were wrong at the tune of six millions dollar.

Actually I don't believe that anyone in an airline can even think to deny boarding to a citizen of a given country going home with a valid passport, but I find amusing that some people here think that they can, "because it's their rules" as if they were above the law, or even try to justify stupidity. laugh.png

Edited by paz

Thanks, i'll continue to reflect on your logic that says a valid passport to go home is not enough is the airline says so.

The airline does not say that person can not go home, but the airline says: to fly with us you must meet our requirements. You do not so you can fly with somebody else and enter your home country.

Your visa recommendations are normally on the mark, but you're way off here.

Edited by stevenl