How To Get Retirement Visa When in Thailand on Visa Exemption?

How do I get a retirement visa, when I am in Thailand, on a 30 day visa exemption stamp? I am Canadian.

I went to the Jomtien immigration office on 10 October 2014 and was told I have to go to Bangkok Immigration (Chaengwattna Road Soi 7, Laksi) and get the visa exemption stamp converted to a OA non-immigrant visa. Jomtien can no longer do the conversion. Then I was told to return to the Jomtien office and they will convert OA it to a retirement visa. I was told that the initial conversion must be done 21 days before expiry of the visa exemption stamp. All this info was told to me me by the senior guy, in the rear desk, of the 600 series queue of the Jomtien immigration office. I do realize that I need: a bank letter confirming I have 800k, a 4cmx6cm photo, and copies of passport photo page and passport entry stamp and departure card. Anything else needed?

Please confirm if the above complete and correct?

To start ... nope, you can NEVER get an O-A visa in Thailand.

O-A visas are only done from your HOME country.

You will be getting a conversion to an O visa at Bangkok. (Good for a THREE MONTH stay.) Not an O-A visa.

When you have an O visa in your passport (from Bangkok or perhaps Malaysia or Laos if you prefer, in that case it will be called a single entry O visa also good for a three month stay) then at Jomtien you will be applying for an ANNUAL EXTENSION BASED ON RETIREMENT.

That step at Jomtien is not a conversion. It is an extension application. The annual extension is to your ... you guessed it ... your O visa.

The CONVERSION you seek (to an O visa, not an O-A visa) is the first step in Bangkok.

An O-A visa is never required to begin retirement in Thailand. It is only an option. You won't be getting one with your plan and you won't be needing one either.

In case others haven't been following this, the BIG NEWS in all this is that we are hearing now that Jomtien office is no longer doing CONVERSIONS from entry stamps or tourist visas to O visas as the first step in the retirement extension process. Now you know. Sad but apparently true.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

cigar7, the Pattaya immigration office – and Jingthing – have given you the correct information.

The change from your current 30-day permission to stay based on your visa-exempt entry to a retirement extension, not a retirement visa, is a two-step process:

1. Apply for a non-O visa (form TM.87) at the Bangkok Immigration office (because the Pattaya office is currently not allowed to issue it). This gives you a new permission to stay for 90 days.
  2. Subsequently, during the last 30 days of your 90-day permission to stay, apply at the Pattaya immigration office for a one-year extension of stay for the reason of retirement (retirement extension, for short) with the form TM.7

...I do realize that I need: a bank letter confirming I have 800k, a 4cmx6cm photo, and copies of passport photo page and passport entry stamp and departure card. Anything else needed?...

Copy of front and back of the departure card (even if the back should be blank, but sometimes the arrival date is stamped there). In addition of the bank letter, copy of the bank book and the original. Proof of address may also be asked.

This is the 2nd report that Jomtien can no longer do a conversion to a non immigrant visa.

The other is here. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/766985-all-retirement-visa-applications-must-now-be-made-outside-of-thailand/page-3?p=8512772#entry8512772

I am certain it will be for conversion from either a visa exempt entry and tourist visas. They both need the same level of approval so if they have lost one they have lost the other.

This is the 2nd report that Jomtien can no longer do a conversion to a non immigrant visa.

The other is here. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/766985-all-retirement-visa-applications-must-now-be-made-outside-of-thailand/page-3?p=8512772#entry8512772

I am certain it will be for conversion from either a visa exempt entry and tourist visas. They both need the same level of approval so if they have lost one they have lost the other.

Other members who had the same experience at the Pattaya immigration office are invited to post it in this new topic that has been opened for this purpose: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767406-pattaya-immigration-no-longer-does-conversion-to-non-o-visa/

This applies to applications for conversion made with the forms TM.86 and TM.87

Other members who had the same experience at the Pattaya immigration office are invited to post it in this new topic that has been opened for this purpose: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767406-pattaya-immigration-no-longer-does-conversion-to-non-o-visa/

This applies to applications for conversion made with the forms TM.86 and TM.87

Does this information also apply to the Chiang Mai office?

this is strange as on Sept 24 I went from visa exempt to non immigrant o to non immigrant OA (retitement) in Jomtien in one day

(so YES you can get retirement visa in Jomtienand unless the rules have changed in the last 3 weeks an o visa as well,,,I wiuld talk to the gentleman that helps us Falang he sits around the corner to the left of the help desk)

you will need at least 2 photos, 3 if applying for multiple entry

recept and copy of it to show where you are living or copies of first page of blue book if you own your own condo

letter from Doctor

letter from your bank confirming 800k in bank for 3 months

copy of front page of your bank book and the page with your deposits and balance showing the same

photo copies of passport,,, front page, entry stamp and departure card

(I would bring 3 copies of everything),,,each one needs to be signed at the bottom

I don't think I have forgotten anything

you can get the forms online in word format and fill most of the info in then print before going to immigration

unfortuneately if the rules have changed in the last 3 weeks you may require the trio to Bangkok

but I would check again in Jomtien before I made the trek

this is strange as on Sept 24 I went from visa exempt to non immigrant o to non immigrant OA (retitement) in Jomtien in one day

(so YES you can get retirement visa in Jomtienand unless the rules have changed in the last 3 weeks an o visa as well,,,I wiuld talk to the gentleman that helps us Falang he sits around the corner to the left of the help desk)

you will need at least 2 photos, 3 if applying for multiple entry

recept and copy of it to show where you are living or copies of first page of blue book if you own your own condo

letter from Doctor

letter from your bank confirming 800k in bank for 3 months

copy of front page of your bank book and the page with your deposits and balance showing the same

photo copies of passport,,, front page, entry stamp and departure card

(I would bring 3 copies of everything),,,each one needs to be signed at the bottom

I don't think I have forgotten anything

you can get the forms online in word format and fill most of the info in then print before going to immigration

unfortuneately if the rules have changed in the last 3 weeks you may require the trio to Bangkok

but I would check again in Jomtien before I made the trek

As said things have certainly changed. It means going to Bangkok now to the conversion to a non immigrant visa entry.

You absolutely did not get a OA visa those can only be obtained at an embassy or consulate in home country.

You also did not need a medical certificate. Those are not required to do an extension of stay.

• Like 1

cigar7, the Pattaya immigration office – and Jingthing – have given you the correct information.

The change from your current 30-day permission to stay based on your visa-exempt entry to a retirement extension, not a retirement visa, is a two-step process:

1. Apply for a non-O visa (form TM.87) at the Bangkok Immigration office (because the Pattaya office is currently not allowed to issue it). This gives you a new permission to stay for 90 days.

2. Subsequently, during the last 30 days of your 90-day permission to stay, apply at the Pattaya immigration office for a one-year extension of stay for the reason of retirement (retirement extension, for short) with the form TM.7

Thanks for this info.

I plan to leave Thailand 29 OCT., so I will not have been in Thailand for 60 days after the O visa is issued. Is it possible to get the retirement extension, the day after the O visa is issued?

Thanks for this info.

I plan to leave Thailand 29 OCT., so I will not have been in Thailand for 60 days after the O visa is issued. Is it possible to get the retirement extension, the day after the O visa is issued?

You will have to wait at least 45 days to apply for the extension.

You can get a re-entry permit (1000 baht) for the 90 day entry you get from the conversion and then apply for the extension when you return.

(so YES you can get retirement visa in Jomtienand unless the rules have changed in the last 3 weeks...

I was advised it changed on 01-Oct-2014, so yes, it did change within the last three weeks.

• Like 1

ACTUALLY,

you went from an entry stamp (no visa)

TO

a conversion to an O visa (90 day)

TO

an annual extension based on retirement.

You never had an O-A visa. You never had a "retirement visa"

(Yes the stamp in your passport with the ANNUAL EXTENSION has the word retirement. That is not a visa and it certainly will not be stamped O-A.)

As reported, Jomtien no longer offers the CONVERSION step.

____

O-A visas are only available from Thai embassies in your HOME country (or other non-Thailand countries where you have permanent residence). O-A visas are never available IN Thailand. That is nothing new.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

ACTUALLY,

you went from an entry stamp (no visa)

TO

a conversion to an O visa (90 day)

TO

an annual extension based on retirement.

You never had an O-A visa. You never had a "retirement visa"

(Yes the stamp in your passport with the ANNUAL EXTENSION has the word retirement. That is not a visa and it certainly will not be stamped O-A.)

As reported, Jomtien no longer offers the CONVERSION step.

____

O-A visas are only available from Thai embassies in your HOME country (or other non-Thailand countries where you have permanent residence). O-A visas are never available IN Thailand. That is nothing new.

Yes, your 100% correct, it should not be OA in my original post, it should be an O visa. Thank you for the correction.

they will want to know where you live... even if it is a hotel... bring your lease, rent receipt, hotel receipt...

Where and for what?

For the conversion in Bangkok they will not ask for proof of residence.

For the extension of stay they will probably want proof of residence. Not sure they will just accept a hotel receipt for it.

...YES you can get retirement visa in Jomtienand unless the rules have changed in the last 3 weeks...

A member has indicated that the Pattaya immigration office is no longer allowed to do the conversion since 01 OCT 2014: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767359-how-to-get-retirement-visa-when-in-thailand-on-visa-exemption/page-2?p=8516595#entry8516595

...YES you can get retirement visa in Jomtienand unless the rules have changed in the last 3 weeks...

A member has indicated that the Pattaya immigration office is no longer allowed to do the conversion since 01 OCT 2014: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767359-how-to-get-retirement-visa-when-in-thailand-on-visa-exemption/page-2?p=8516595#entry8516595

A thread on that subject is running here..... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767406-pattaya-immigration-no-longer-does-conversion-to-non-o-visa/

Edited by VBF

I was told that "O" Visas are only issued outside of Thailand. It need not be issued in your home country but at any Thai embassy or Thai consulate outside of Thailand. I used Savannkhet Consulate. I got excellent advice from the Thai Immigration Office which is close to the friendship bridge leading to Svannakhet, Laos.

Once you have an "O" visa you must obtain a letter from your bank concerning your income on the day that you go to immigration. The formula is your yearly income + your savings in a Bangkok bank must = 800,000 THB. If either one is zero then you are dependent on the other to = 800,000. If you wish to use your income then you must have proof from your embassy of your yearly OR MONTHLY income.

Please see your embassy in regards to mail proof - - that is if you wish to avoid traveling to Bangkok.

If you wish to have assistance to obtain a Thai retirement Visa, my Thai wife is a Thai English translator for the court here in Mukdahan. She also works for the Thai government. She would charge you 1000 ThB + expenses to assist you in obtaining a Retirement Visa.

I have a Thai retirement Visa and have renewed it twice. My Thai wife assisted me. We know a lawyer who can certify copies for proof of income if you wish to avoid travel to your embassy in Bangkok.

Please private message me if you want to avail yourself of her service.

You can also obtain " O " visas at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane Laos.

I went to the Bangkok immigration , on 13 Oct. to convert the visa exemption stamp to a non-immigrant O based on advise from the Jomtien office. The officer in Bangkok examined my documents, and initially rejected my application due to my bank letter was issued at 12 noon 10 Oct.,even though I showed the original bank book. I went a branch of my bank located on floor 1 in Building B and got a new bank letter, and that was accepted, dated 13 Oct.. Next issue was "evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand" and the document must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application. The bank book showed the transfer was made years ago but the officer wanted a letter from the bank. I told them the land office took the foreign funds transfer form (tor tor ??) when I bought a condo and the bank will only issue one foreign funds form. Then I filled in a form, all in Thai (which I didn't understand), paid 2,000 Baht, got a receipt and told to come back 28 Oct., which is the "result date" of the application for conversion, which is 15 days later. You must have a minimum of 15 days remaining before your current visa expires.

Thank you for your report, Cigar7. That you have to go back to the Bangkok immigration office in 15 days is unfortunate. I hoped they would approve the non-O visa immediately, but that's life, I guess, the inconvenience one needs to suffer for the privilege of moving from visa-exempt entry to retirement extension. Best wishes for a happy retirement in Thailand!

...Then I filled in a form, all in Thai (which I didn't understand), paid 2,000 Baht...

This must have been the form TM.87, which normally is in Thai and English: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm87.pdf

No, it was not that form. I had already completed and presented the TM.87 form. The additional all Thai language form that I filled-in, based on the advice of the officer, had lots of check boxes. I just checked the boxes I was told, and signed the form.

...Then I filled in a form, all in Thai (which I didn't understand), paid 2,000 Baht...

This must have been the form TM.87, which normally is in Thai and English: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm87.pdf

No, it was not that form. I had already completed and presented the TM.87 form. The additional all Thai language form that I filled-in, based on the advice of the officer, had lots of check boxes. I just checked the boxes I was told, and signed the form.

I have just gone through the same process as I did not get a Re-Entry permit to enter the country. (my mistake)

Went to Jomtien immigration and the wife was told that Immigration Jomtien no longer had the power to issue the Visa any more and we had to go to Bangkok to apply there. We were handed a TM87 application for Visa form and another piece of A4 with the address and directions of how to get to the Government Complex. Immigration is situated in B Building, Floor 2, (South Zone) Chaengwattana Road (Soi 7), Laksi, Bangkok 10210

It's massive complex, if you don't know how to find it, get a Taxi.

Telephone 0-2141-9889 Fax 0-2143-8228

Office Hrs Mon to Fri (8:30 -1200 and 1300-16:30)

Web Site http:/bangkok.immigration.go.th

Went to Australian Embassy and had a Stat dec confirmed with who pays me and how much I get a month.

We went to Immigration above address by cab, went to the front desk and was given a numbered ticket and told to wait, 2 hrs later we were called to the Immigration cubicle and asked for Passport, copy of front page of passport with my picture, asked for the TM87 form with my new picture attached and the Stat Dec from the OZ Embassy. ( never asked for bank letter) She worked out my monthly income from OZ to Thai baht at the current rate.

She then asked my wife and myself to fill out a document that was all in Thai and had little boxes to tick all over it. My wife asked what it was for and she replied, it was a document that stated that no inducement or bribe was asked to get the Visa. She then told my wife to fill it out and for me to sign it, which I did. I also had to write in this document Retirement Visa in English. She then asked for Bt2000 and gave me a recept which stated on a stamp, (RESULT 28th Oct 2014) She wrote my wife's mobile on the bottom of the document and told us to return on the 28th with passport.

Hope this helps.

I may of may not have placed this in the wrong spot?

Edited by OZEMADE

I have just gone through the same process as I did not get a Re-Entry permit to enter the country. (my mistake)

Went to Jomtien immigration and the wife was told that Immigration Jomtien no longer had the power to issue the Visa any more and we had to go to Bangkok to apply there. We were handed a TM87 application for Visa form and another piece of A4 with the address and directions of how to get to the Government Complex. Immigration is situated in B Building, Floor 2, (South Zone) Chaengwattana Road (Soi 7), Laksi, Bangkok 10210

It's massive complex, if you don't know how to find it, get a Taxi.

Telephone 0-2141-9889 Fax 0-2143-8228

Office Hrs Mon to Fri (8:30 -1200 and 1300-16:30)

Web Site http:/bangkok.immigration.go.th

Went to Australian Embassy and had a Stat dec confirmed with who pays me and how much I get a month.

We went to Immigration above address by cab, went to the front desk and was given a numbered ticket and told to wait, 2 hrs later we were called to the Immigration cubicle and asked for Passport, copy of front page of passport with my picture, asked for the TM87 form with my new picture attached and the Stat Dec from the OZ Embassy. ( never asked for bank letter) She worked out my monthly income from OZ to Thai baht at the current rate.

She then asked my wife and myself to fill out a document that was all in Thai and had little boxes to tick all over it. My wife asked what it was for and she replied, it was a document that stated that no inducement or bribe was asked to get the Visa. She then told my wife to fill it out and for me to sign it, which I did. I also had to write in this document Retirement Visa in English. She then asked for Bt2000 and gave me a recept which stated on a stamp, (RESULT 28th Oct 2014) She wrote my wife's mobile on the bottom of the document and told us to return on the 28th with passport.

Hope this helps.

I may of may not have placed this in the wrong spot?

What with all this messing about on Chaengwattana Immigration's part, I think I'll definitely follow the line of least resistance and obtain a fresh non-O in Savannakhet should I ever find myself in a similar position!