Thai Army chief issues 6 instructions to solve southern unrest

webfact

Army chief issues 6 instructions to solve southern unrest
By Digital Content

14131764673478-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 13 -- Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Udomdej Sitabutr on Monday gave six instructions to solve violence prevailing in deep southern Thailand, said a spokesman of Internal Security Operations command (ISOC).

ISOC spokesman Col Banpot Poonpien told a press conference that Gen Udomdej gave his order to army units chiefs in the three insurgency-plagued southern provinces - Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat -- during a special meeting via video conference.

Fourth Army Region commander Lt Gen Prakan Cholayuth briefed Gen Udomdej on Sunday’s arson attacks on six schools in Pattani’s Thung Yang Daeng and Mayo districts.

Gen Udomdej, according to the spokesman, gave six instructions which include increasing night patrols in the areas, reviewing security measures on regular basis, reinforcements of border patrol policemen if needed in sensitive areas in the three provinces and reviewing army operations every three months.

Panu Uthairat, secretary-general of Southern Border Provinces Administration, proposed security measures which include installing surveillance cameras at every school, asking village defence officials to be also responsible for schools and asking the Education Ministry to provide urgent budget for construction of new school buildings within six months. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-10-13

OK, that's good from a security viewpoint, but it isn't going to help build trust.

Like it or not their is a sense of grievance existing towards perceived injustices and allegedly discriminatory policies being pursued in this region of Thailand. If there is no attempt to resolve these there is very little chance of finding a permanent end to this violent and bloody conflict.

There needs to be some way of addressing some of the local, legitimate grievances, that the terrorist scum are exploiting to further their own warped goals.

Edited by Bluespunk

OK, that's good from a security viewpoint, but it isn't going to help build trust.

Like it or not their is a sense of grievance existing towards perceived injustices and allegedly discriminatory policies being pursued in this region of Thailand. If there is no attempt to resolve these there is very little chance of finding a permanent end to this violent and bloody conflict.

There needs to be some way of addressing some of the local, legitimate grievances, that the terrorist scum are exploiting to further their own warped goals.

Don't loose your sleep.

The good General has promised everybody that everything will be hunky dory in the South, by the end of 2015.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/764322-pm-prayut-peace-in-thai-south-by-2015/

Edited by Costas2008

Don't loose your sleep.

The good General has promised everybody that everything will be hunky dory in the South, by the end of 2015.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/764322-pm-prayut-peace-in-thai-south-by-2015/

There needs to be a lasting, credible solution to the southern violence.

Personally I don't care who brings it about as long as they do.

Don't loose your sleep.

How many Muslim insurgencies have you seen or heard about that were willing to accept a credible solution short of giving them the country all to themselves? Even then, they can't live peacefully since there is constant infighting among the varying Muslim factions. If you are looking for a lasting, credible solution to a Muslim dispute, I strongly recommend not holding your breath.

Don't loose your sleep.

How many Muslim insurgencies have you seen or heard about that were willing to accept a credible solution short of giving them the country all to themselves? Even then, they can't live peacefully since there is constant infighting among the varying Muslim factions. If you are looking for a lasting, credible solution to a Muslim dispute, I strongly recommend not holding your breath.

I'm not talking about the terrorist scum. I am referring to those who are not involved, do not support or want to be part of the current violence.

They do, however, have localised grievances that need addressing.

This will never work. The army has been using brute force without success, since they annexed the areas in 1911.

How about issuing instructions to solve police corruption and crime committed by police officers in the South (and elsewhere). That is something that could make a difference and give you a positive legacy, once you retire to your house in a fortified army camp like Suchinda did in 1992.

Gen Udomdej, according to the spokesman, gave six instructions which include increasing night patrols in the areas, reviewing security measures on regular basis, reinforcements of border patrol policemen if needed in sensitive areas in the three provinces and reviewing army operations every three months.

For one thing, that's only 4 instructions, and for another two of those amount to "I'm counting this as a thing to bump up my count of things I'm saying, but this thing is not really a thing" Review security measures and army operations on a regular basis and every three months respectively. Only talk.

I was hoping for something along the lines of, we have martial law, lets use it. From now on there will be random road blocks and vehicle searches. From now on, there will be weapons and explosives sweeps in all muslim area's (since we don't have to worry about profiling concerns here!) we will be moving a Signals intelligence unit into the area to step up cell phone and other communications monitoring activities. There will also be a random and significant delay introduced into the cell phone routing systems. All supplies linked to bomb making are now sales restricted, with various levels of restriction. We will increase human intelligence gathering capabilities within groups suspected of fomenting unrest. There will be no talks of any reconciliation or redress of grievence until 6 months after the last act of terrorism.

I realize some aspects of the above would be difficult to implement, especially the sales restrictions, but the proactive nature of the response is what I would be looking for from a military leader. Diplomacy and restraint can and should come from someone else.

Edited by Thaimaishoe

For one thing, that's only 4 instructions, and for another two of those amount to "I'm counting this as a thing to bump up my count of things I'm saying, but this thing is not really a thing" Review security measures and army operations on a regular basis and every three months. Only talk.

I was hoping for something along the lines of, we have martial law, lets use it. From now on there will be random road blocks and vehicle searches. From now on, there will be weapons and explosives sweeps in all muslim area's (since we don't have to worry about profiling concerns here!) we will be moving a Signals intelligence unit into the area to step up cell phone and other communications. There will also be a random and significant delay introduced into the cell phone routing systems. All supplies linked to bomb making are now sales restricted, with various levels of restriction. We will increase human intelligence gathering capabilities within groups suspected of fomenting unrest. There will be no talks of any reconciliation or redress of grievence until 6 months after the last act of terrorism.

I realize some aspects of the above would be difficult to implement, especially the sales restrictions, but the proactive nature of the response is what I would be looking for from a military leader. Diplomacy can come from someone else.

Won't work.

The profiling will only increase the sense of injustice, search everyone if need be, but not just certain sections.

No peace talks until so long after last act of violence hands control of the peace process to extremist bigots who will never accept any peace deal.

Other aspects of your post make sense, but alongside them there has to be a reconciliation process to gain the trust and support of those not involved or part of the violence.

They need to be given autonomy. And the remaining non Muslims may need to look at relocating themselves to a more Buddhist friendly part of the Kingdom. Sounds sad but it is true. No other solution as the Thai government / military/ police cannot deal with it.

For one thing, that's only 4 instructions, and for another two of those amount to "I'm counting this as a thing to bump up my count of things I'm saying, but this thing is not really a thing" Review security measures and army operations on a regular basis and every three months. Only talk.

I was hoping for something along the lines of, we have martial law, lets use it. From now on there will be random road blocks and vehicle searches. From now on, there will be weapons and explosives sweeps in all muslim area's (since we don't have to worry about profiling concerns here!) we will be moving a Signals intelligence unit into the area to step up cell phone and other communications. There will also be a random and significant delay introduced into the cell phone routing systems. All supplies linked to bomb making are now sales restricted, with various levels of restriction. We will increase human intelligence gathering capabilities within groups suspected of fomenting unrest. There will be no talks of any reconciliation or redress of grievence until 6 months after the last act of terrorism.

I realize some aspects of the above would be difficult to implement, especially the sales restrictions, but the proactive nature of the response is what I would be looking for from a military leader. Diplomacy can come from someone else.

Do you know if any of the above suggestions have not already been implemented?

No terrorist acts for six months is, for the moment, a basic impossibility as there are nine different groups, most likely with nine differing agendas. It is understood there is not any hierarchical command structure for the armed terrorists who have the authority to command a laydown of weapons. Those armed are often referred to as Juwae (as someone who has extensive experience covering the conflict once called them 'boys with guns'). Within the article below is an extensive description of the Juwae.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/05/the-strange-thai-insurgents-who-like-sorcery-and-get-high-on-cough-syrup/275614/

NCOP has publically stated that any provincial self-management, along the lines of Bangkok or Pattaya, will not be permitted, nor locally elected representatives. In addition NCOP have publically stated they will not negotiate for any form of autonomy. To be frank, right now, I don't get what 'grievances' would be permissible to have on the table for negotiation.

Won't work.

The profiling will only increase the sense of injustice, search everyone if need be, but not just certain sections.

No peace talks until so long after last act of violence hands control of the peace process to extremist bigots who will never accept any peace deal.

Other aspects of your post make sense, but alongside them there has to be a reconciliation process to gain the trust and support of those not involved or part of the violence.

It probably won't work, certainly not as proposed, I know. I was talking about the kind of steps I would be looking for coming from a General, and they were offered off the top of my head with little knowledge of the actual situation and grievences on the ground. But that does not mean the General should be offering up such lilly livered pablam. A more reasoned response can be what is actually implemented over time, it would have to be.

As far as increasing the sense of injustice, I don't agree. If Buddists start bombing muslims (aside from with the Army that is) then expand it to be more even. I never said it was a step exclusively taken against muslims anyway. Combined with a campaign promoting the reasons for doing it... increased security for all people in the area, I think it could be sold in the short term, especially if it has results. And if not, well, it is martial law... they can shut up and eat it.

I didn't say anything about a peace deal. There are no talks until peace is established. Period. We don't talk to establish peace, we talk after peace prevails. If you leave the hint that violence got them somewhere, they will NEVER stop.

Unfortunately the mentality we are dealing with in these instances is not rational. Therefore any rational response is doomed to failure.

Don't loose your sleep.

It been a reoccurring theme for decades by previous governments & generals that the unrest in the south will be solve within the next few years. Preaching to the choir I know.

They need to be given autonomy. And the remaining non Muslims may need to look at relocating themselves to a more Buddhist friendly part of the Kingdom. Sounds sad but it is true. No other solution as the Thai government / military/ police cannot deal with it.

This is the saddest load of BS I have read in a long time. The only thing that will do, is move the fighting north.

They need to be given autonomy, and you slink away with your tail between your legs? So they beat you. Guess what's coming next... another beating.

The people who are murdering innocents remotely and otherwise need to be hunted down -- like the scum they are -- and be put out of our misery. As for the problem in its entirety, It's not really Thailand, never was, and that cultural/historical divide, despite the Anglo-imposed political differences a century ago, needs to be recognized and dealt with realistically with a fair portion for all.

Otherwise, cordon the entire region, remove those who wish to leave, and let the rest eat each other if they don't want to come to terms. Shoot anyone, barring women and kids, who crosses the line. They can't manage on their own.

It's no good giving them back to the Malays unless you want the Chinese Triads and indian Thugs to move in and take over practical management.

This is another gum bashing event, the way forward is not with 6 instructions and it is not with pressure from the military, the terrorist couldn't give a toss about what the Army Chief say's , it is time that Thailand bit the bullet in this crises and started some meaningful ways to move forward, not the failed bossy attitude that has prevailed so far, whether the terrorists are interested in any meaningful dialog after the treatment of Muslims by the Thaksin Shinawatra Government is a problematic point. Verdict: More of the same.coffee1.gif

Be sure the new schools being built there...will have a military presence...a guarded entrance...high walls surrounding the school with bobbed wire on top...cameras everywhere...including night time security guards...while providing firearm training to the school staff...

This is a proven war zone...not a normal civil situation...

Do not try to capture would be antagonists...

Every night the army returns to it's barracks and this has been going on since the conflict started.

If General Prayuth wants to have peace by 2015 I can only say its a big farce. He has been the army chief for a long time already and was not able to have any peace in the South. Autonomy is the key in the right direction but this was rejected by Gen Prem.

it will not end there... it is like cancer...

Won't work.

It probably won't work, certainly not as proposed, I know. I was talking about the kind of steps I would be looking for coming from a General, and they were offered off the top of my head with little knowledge of the actual situation and grievences on the ground. But that does not mean the General should be offering up such lilly livered pablam. A more reasoned response can be what is actually implemented over time, it would have to be.

As far as increasing the sense of injustice, I don't agree. If Buddists start bombing muslims (aside from with the Army that is) then expand it to be more even. I never said it was a step exclusively taken against muslims anyway. Combined with a campaign promoting the reasons for doing it... increased security for all people in the area, I think it could be sold in the short term, especially if it has results. And if not, well, it is martial law... they can shut up and eat it.

I didn't say anything about a peace deal. There are no talks until peace is established. Period. We don't talk to establish peace, we talk after peace prevails. If you leave the hint that violence got them somewhere, they will NEVER stop.

Unfortunately the mentality we are dealing with in these instances is not rational. Therefore any rational response is doomed to failure.

Again I agree with most of what you say. However I do believe peace talks should run alongside the security measures being proposed with groups prepared to renounce violence and work towards a lasting solution.

Isolate those who will not renounce violence and terror. Hunt them down, whatever. You reap what you sow, however that cuts both ways.

If some realise that violence is not the way then they need to be given the opportunity to negotiate a settlement.

How did the Poms (and others) deal with the communist problems in Malaya in the 50's?

Perhaps some lessons could be learned from this or should we (being Thai peoples) always strive "to do it our way"? whistling.gif

They won over the hearts and minds of the people supporting the communists and only then were able to win the military battle. By the way the final victory came many years after the British left. While the British was there their strong arm tactics allienated the people more than anything else.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Don't loose your sleep.

If they have that country all to themselves they will, fight one another and need more territory. It will never end until they are totally defeated and completely disarmed. Good luck.

These guys need to talk with the TAT.......!

They've been saying this same diatribe for years......

but people do not really trust the drivel that comes from the TAT. Now that an army general has said it, then it must be true. If only they had realised it sooner - it just takes 6 simple instructions to solve the southern unrest problem in Thailand.

Simples...