Rakhine group urges Thai PM to reopen probe into Koh Tao murders

webfact

DEATHS AT KOH TAO
Rakhine group urges Thai PM to reopen probe into murders

Myanmar Eleven

BANGKOK: -- The Rakhine National Network has said it will send an open letter to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-Cha about the Myanmar men charged with murdering two British tourists on Koh Tao.

The network published the letter on Friday on its Facebook page, requesting that the case be re-examined to find the real culprits while calling for greater cooperation between Thailand, Myanmar and Britain to resolve the case.

In the letter, the group said it wanted the case to be reconsidered, as it believed Zaw Linn and Win Zaw Tun were wrongly accused of murders that occurred in an area where many gangs operated.

Meanwhile, the parents of Win Zaw Tun, who live in Kyaukphyu Township in Rakhine State, want to visit their son in jail in Thailand. The two are from Ramree Island and Kyaukphyu in Rakhine.

"After his mother read the report in a newspaper, she cried a lot," Tun Tun Htike, Win Zaw Tun's father said. "She is very eager to go there to meet her son. But we have no money and no idea how to get there."

Myanmar nationals living in Japan staged a protest recently in front of the Thai embassy in Tokyo, handing over a letter to an official demanding that the government find strong evidence in the case.

However, National Police chief General Somyot Poompanmoung reiterated that the investigation had been carried out in a transparent manner, saying that the scapegoat era that saw innocent people charged with crimes may have existed in the past but not under his command. He called on people to stop speculating and making claims about the case on social media.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Rakhine-group-urges-Thai-PM-to-reopen-probe-into-m-30245426.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-14

• Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be the ONLY thing that will quiet people on these horrendous murders...

Allow an outside agency, preferably British, to examine verifiable samples of DNA taken off the body(s) with DNA obtained from the suspects by the same outside agency. At this point there is nothing else the Thai government can say or do that will dispel questions and doubts.

I just talked with friend in USA who happens to be travel agent. She says arranged to rent house boat in Koh Tao. I suggested she hire some body guards. When I mentioned Koh Tao, she said "Where those two Burmese killed those British?". I proceeded to give her thumbnail of this sham. It seems to confirm once more that Americans don't really care about international news unless it has direct impact on USA. I asked if she could cancel that reservation. I don't want one satang going to that place until they come clean about this whole mess.

Keep the pressure on, then double it.

Do you live in Thailand? If not then refraining from visiting and spending is the only way to effect change. If you are an expat you should leave in protest. I did.

We want the truth!

Until then... BOYCOT KOH TAO!

highly unlikely though

there will be stupid goons that think "oh, I cannot be that unlucky to be murdered" or

"I know what I am doing" or "I can fend for myself"

So, KT will still continue to see visitors unless the tourists really fear for the safety of their lives

• Like 1

Why didn't the Prime Minister order an independant enquiry when it was obvious weeks ago that Thailand reputation was on the line.

The only thing that will satisfy the outside world now is if new tests are taken by UK forensic experts

Persoanlly I think they have the right guys but so many don't.

Thailand must stand up and be counted as this one isn't going away anytime soon and the damge to tourism could have massive consequenses for a very long time to come.

• Like 1

We want the truth!

highly unlikely though

there will be stupid goons that think "oh, I cannot be that unlucky to be murdered" or

So, KT will still continue to see visitors unless the tourists really fear for the safety of their lives

You are right indeed, but I do not want to be a "stupid goon" and hope more people will think the same.

Who should boycott Koh Tao? The tourists? Shouldn't the whole of Thailand be boycotted and by both tourists and expats. Once again a short sighted view. If all the expats here were to leave then the Thai Gov would sit up and take notice due to the loss of revenue. You can effect change but only if you are willing to get off the bar stool.

Ummm... surely that is back to front.... the whole of Thailand, offended by the alleged dishonesty and corruption, should boycott Thailand, leaving it to those who value money ahead of ethics/morals and the quality tourists....

Then it can be known as the hub of blonde Russian bombshells rather than "Love you long time, 500 baht!", the hub of mafiosi, the hub of balls and b*llsh*t

Seriously! You have to laugh at General Somyot for his comment about it not happening under his command when he doesn't know anything except what his underlings tell him. Prime example of this is YL amd her rice scheme. Spouting quotes and facts other people say without verifying them.

As other posters here continue to say. They need to reopen the case and get an independant outside source to verify the RTPs findings before anyone is going to believe the 2 Burmy men are really the killers and not some tortured and beaten scapegoats

I was listening to him earlier and he speaks like a lower class level person, or 'phut leng' as in he speaks harsh. He was 'wa wa waing' at everything and poiting his finger at people, he did not appear like a leader of country, or what one should look like for that matter.

We want the truth!

highly unlikely though

Actually...the 'stupid goons' as you call them seem to have the odds on their side.....out of the hundreds of thousands (or maybe millions) visiting Koh Tao over the past decade, how many have been murdered? Your odds of being killed on the road in Thailand are far higher than the odds of being murdered on Koh Tao.

• Like 1

Lately the police seem to talk less about DNA evidence and more emphasis on the witness and confession testimony. When the witness and boys go to court they will say whatever they need to in order to protect themselves. They know there is a long wait in jail , while the judge is deciding if they are guilty or not. Like children in abused homes must be removed from danger before they speak the truth.

All parties need to be removed from the danger so they can speak the truth freely.

It's not like you can put them in protective custody though is it.

We want the truth!

Why stop at Koh Tao? This is 'situation normal afu' for the entire country. Sure it is the highest profile case for a while but there are quite a few other 'still open' cases that are unlikely to ever be closed out. TIT

Edited by johnlandy

National Police chief General Somyot Poompanmoung reiterated that the investigation had been carried out in a transparent manner, saying that the scapegoat era that saw innocent people charged with crimes may have existed in the past but not under his command. He called on people to stop speculating and making claims about the case on social media.

"I officially declare the scapegoat era as over. I have sought the advise of the Minister for Wildlife and Stuff about this matter and he assured me most transparently, that the number of goats in Thailand has decreased dramatically and therefore there are no more scapegoats in Thailand..., we do have a lot of rats, though. Be that as it may, I feel so confident about this issue that I speculate and make this claim in all transparency on Facebook and other social media."

• Like 1

Perhaps by now some RTP officers are having difficulty to find sleep at night. S#!T is hitting the fan for them as it seems! Thanks to anyone here at TV who did not buckle under the RTP threats and kept posting photos and texts questioning the RTP's investigation and their official version. Power to the people!!! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Seriously! You have to laugh at General Somyot for his comment about it not happening under his command when he doesn't know anything except what his underlings tell him. Prime example of this is YL amd her rice scheme. Spouting quotes and facts other people say without verifying them.

As other posters here continue to say. They need to reopen the case and get an independant outside source to verify the RTPs findings before anyone is going to believe the 2 Burmy men are really the killers and not some tortured and beaten scapegoats

I was listening to him earlier and he speaks like a lower class level person, or 'phut leng' as in he speaks harsh. He was 'wa wa waing' at everything and poiting his finger at people, he did not appear like a leader of country, or what one should look like for that matter.

General Somyot is not the leader of the country. What should the leader of a country look like? Suit and tie 24hr a day?

Perhaps by now some RTP officers are having difficulty to find sleep at night. S#!T is hitting the fan for them as it seems! Thanks to anyone here at TV who did not buckle under the RTP threats and kept posting photos and texts questioning the RTP's investigation and their official version. Power to the people!!! thumbsup.gif

Live Leak has the actual crime scene photos,

they are not for the weak of stomach

I saw a few of them as small summary links, and wasn't able to actually click on them, as just the link photos were gruesome