The New York Waldorf Astoria sale- a Chinese spy story in the making?

webfact

That's quite a rhetorical comment ...I cannot imagine 1.3 billion people living in housing estates so apartments in land scarcity seems like a logical solution

And have you ever seen a dish washer that could fit a wok or clean a clay pot properly ??? Yes they still wash by hands ...to them it still the cleanest method

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said the population of the PRChina still doesn't know what a dish washing machine is and I referred to the small apartments most PRChinese live in which they erroneously call a house. There are very few free standing houses in the PRChina contrasted to nearly everyone in metro areas living in apartments.

The Wall Street Journal headline on this story was, "Hilton Tosses Waldorf to Chinese Insurer," which pretty much sums up the picture, which is that,

The grand though aged Waldorf needs a renovation, a task that will add substantially to Anbang's sticker price. Such an investment could be paid back with higher room rates or proceeds for the sale of rooms converted to condominiums. That Hilton itself preferred to skip the risk is a sign of the task ahead.

The Chinese buyers are paying $1.4 million per room for 1413 rooms when the going price in Manhattan is $1m.

Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc has 27 Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts to include in Beijing and Shanghai and is adding other destinations such as Bangkok and Bali. If Hilton had wanted to sink money in to the New York property it would have done so. Hilton instead will apply the take on this fast deal to the U.S. hotel market such as the coming soon Beverly Hills Waldorf Astoria.

China’s equities and property markets are stagnant so PRC insurance companies are going to where the value is, which is U.S. real estate. One could say Hilton saw 'em coming cause Hilton turned away two other suitors to sign this deal in no time at all..

As to the security aspect, here's what a NYPD source related to the New York Post .....

“The Chinese are very tricky. They are involved in snooping for proprietary reasons to gather intelligence on us and to gain an advantage in the capitalistic world we live in,” a law enforcement source told The Post. “They are trying to gain that advantage on us — and one of the major ways they’re doing this is by stealing our computer secrets.”

The Waldorf sale could open the door to a world of spilled secrets.

“A lot of important people who possess secret information stay at the Waldorf,” the source said. “That information could get into the hands of the Chinese now.”

http://nypost.com/2014/10/13/amid-security-concerns-us-eyes-sale-of-waldorf-astoria-to-chinese-firm/

I'm not sure the Treasury Department's Board of cabinet secretaries that review these things want to put the financial collar back around the neck of the Hilton group, but the security aspect just might force the decision in that direction. If the renovation plan simply changes how the president has to come and go at the hotel then the sale is dead in the water.

In financial debt/borrowing terms how much does america actually owe China ?

Happy to borrow money but not happy to sell property ?

Sorry but whatever point you may have escapes me.

So far this year PRChinese institutional investors have bought outright or into $2.7 billion of real estate and property in the New York City area alone.

Last year PRChinese institutional investors bought up or into $2.6 billion of property in the NYC area.

The sale prices were above market and most properties are in need of work of one kind or another such as the Waldorf Astoria. Still, the PRChinese are in the market, they're buying and they're paying out, and sellers know it.

Around this time last year the Shanghai conglomerate Fosun International Ltd. bought the 60-story One Chase Manhattan Plaza building for $725 million, while a group of individual Chinese investors bought a 40% share of the New York General Motors Building. Chase Manhattan Bank will move to a new building.

If this one particular Hilton Waldorf Astoria and Anbang Ltd deal fails it would be for unique security reasons, as determined by the U.S. Treasury Department Board of Foreign Assets Control which includes the Secretaries of the Treasury, Defense, State, Homeland Security, Directorate of Intelligence, Commerce, the Attorney General and one or two other cabinet secretaries.

Washington is still looking into the total picture with security as the overriding factor.

As I'd noted in a post to the thread the U.S. and the CCP's PRC are and have been mutually invested for a long time. The Boyz in Beijing have recently loosened restrictions to foreign assets purchases by insurance companies so here we are.

That's quite a rhetorical comment ...I cannot imagine 1.3 billion people living in housing estates so apartments in land scarcity seems like a logical solution

And have you ever seen a dish washer that could fit a wok or clean a clay pot properly ??? Yes they still wash by hands ...to them it still the cleanest method

The PRChinese eat using plates/dishes, bowls, cups (lots of 'em) of all shapes and sizes all of which one can say with the highest confidence fit into any dish washing machine back in the States.

One wouldn't want to try putting a rice cooker into a dish washing machine and the same is true of an electric teapot but a rice bowl and a ceramic teapot fit perfectly well. People who still use clay pots are welcome to wash them by hand because I guess one just can't be too safe in this life.

The fact is as I said in the prior post, the PRChinese don't know dishwashers, don't have any, won't have any for some long time to come. No clue about dishwashing machines in the PRChina, along with much else of modern conveniences.

No idea what your rant has to do with the purchase of a iconic building ...but of course since you enjoy bashing them at every angle ...I guess you are just out of ideas and now at dishwashers ?

Lots of american families don't have dishwasher too ...and at the recent article in national geo ..lots are on food lines and don't even have enough to eat much less worry about whether they have a modern appliance

how does that make it relevant to the topic that they have bought the building ?

Edited by LawrenceChee
  • Like 1

No idea what your rant has to do with the purchase of a iconic building ...but of course since you enjoy bashing them at every angle ...I guess you are just out of ideas and now at dishwashers ?

Lots of american families don't have dishwasher too ...and at the recent article in national geo ..lots are on food lines and don't even have enough to eat much less worry about whether they have a modern appliance

how does that make it relevant to the topic that they have bought the building ?

PRC fatcats throw big money around In New York, North America, Europe, Australia to buy homes or commercial properties while the ordinary PRChinese live as mushrooms in the strongly censored PRC.

Take a deep breath and sit down because I want to advise you that the Brics countries account for 2% of global dishwasher machine purchases (two percent).

As a reminder, the Brics countries are Brazil, Russia, India, China (with SA recently tagging along).

The PRC fatcats can buy buildings and other properties in New York City while in the PRChina domestic consumption seriously lags the advanced and developed economies, which reminds one of the former Soviet Union that collapsed of the dead weight of its own fundamentally flawed systems of political economy..

The U.S. remains the best investment destination of the world so keep sending your guys over with their bags of big bucks. Btw I have a bridge in Brooklyn really cheap special for you today only...PM me before it's too late biggrin.png

• Like 1

I agree at the moment the USA remains one of the Chinese top investment venues as there is a good amount of bankruptcy and good deals to be snapped up ; pretty similar to Italy and Greece

Later if there is ever a recovery we will sell it back ...you can have them back when they raise enough money or use dishwashers as barter trade

PRC fatcats ...finally a new term after a year ...for a moment I was worried your brain is as rusty as that bridge you are trying to sell ...hahaha smile.png

Hope they do better with selling than buying. The last one the US bought from England they did not check which bridge they were buying first.

The US doesn't "owe" the Chinese a damn thing but don't let hatred stop you.

The Chinese HAVE TO hold US dollars because the dollar is the international unit of trade. NO ONE will accept Chinese money in exchange for Western or ME products be it food or oil or anything.

The Chinese are cornered into holding dollars so they hold them in US Treasuries. They BUY treasuries to cover their dollar account needs. Then they can trade with paper backed by Treasuries (dollars.)

Almost every country holds US dollars that way and that includes even Thailand.

The rest of my comment which would be a personal attack I'll keep to myself.

• Like 1

The Chinese HAVE TO hold US dollars because the dollar is the international unit of trade. NO ONE will accept Chinese money in exchange for Western or ME products be it food or oil or anything.

The Chinese are cornered into holding dollars so they hold them in US Treasuries. They BUY treasuries to cover their dollar account needs. Then they can trade with paper backed by Treasuries (dollars.)

Almost every country holds US dollars that way and that includes even Thailand.

The rest of my comment which would be a personal attack I'll keep to myself.

Not for long, but we've had that discussion...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-09-12/end-empire-de-dollarization-chart-china-and-russia-are-banking

http://www.globalresearch.ca/de-dollarization-europe-and-china-start-direct-trading-in-euros-and-renmibi/5405337

http://x22report.com/de-dollarization-continues-with-iran-and-russia-creating-a-joint-bank-episode-491/

The USD simply cannot continue to devalue the USD, rack up debt, impose ludicrous sanctions, start war after war after war and expect other countries to accept it... Hell, they've been trying to start WWIII for the last 18 months, but Putin won't bite...

PRC fatcats ...finally a new term after a year ...for a moment I was worried your brain is as rusty as that bridge you are trying to sell ...hahaha smile.png

Hope they do better with selling than buying. The last one the US bought from England they did not check which bridge they were buying first.

The Great Wall is next.

That will come when the Great Firewall of China is gone and its citizens free to use the internet without the CCP's malevolent censorship and when the Chinese people are free of their CCP incarnation of their 5000 years of Chinese dictatorship.

London Bridge: Alive and Well in Arizona

London-Bridge-in-the-earl-008.jpg

London Bridge in Lake Havasu City, Arizona USA.

Photograph: Robert Harding/World Imagery

In 1962, London Bridge was falling down. Built in 1831, the bridge couldn't handle the ever-increasing flow of traffic across the Thames River.

The British government decided to put the bridge up for sale, and Robert McCulloch, Founder of Lake Havasu City, Arizona, and Chairman of McCulloch Oil Corporation, submitted the winning bid of $2,460,000. The bridge was dismantled, and each stone was numbered.

Everything was shipped 10,000 miles to Long Beach, California, and then trucked to Lake Havasu City. Reconstruction began on September 23, 1968, with a ceremony including the Lord Mayor of London, who laid the cornerstone. On October 10, 1971, the bridge was dedicated.

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/places/havasu.htm#sthash.7kUApmJW.dpuf

The Great Wall of China

wallx-large.jpg

A man walks past the remains of a tower of the Great Wall of China, next to a crumbling section of the wall, in 2005. Sections of the wall are being reduced to "mounds of dirt" by sandstorms and may disappear entirely in 20 years.

The impressive looking photos everyone sees of the Great Wall are the sections reconstructed for tourists such as back in 1997 when I walked a section of the Wall outside Beijing.

Nobody is ever going to buy this however.

Souvenirs perhaps, but no sale.

The Great Wall is next.

That will come when the Great Firewall of China is gone and its citizens free to use the internet without the CCP's malevolent censorship and when the Chinese people are free of their CCP incarnation of their 5000 years of Chinese dictatorship.

In 1962, London Bridge was falling down. Built in 1831, the bridge couldn't handle the ever-increasing flow of traffic across the Thames River.

The British government decided to put the bridge up for sale, and Robert McCulloch, Founder of Lake Havasu City, Arizona, and Chairman of McCulloch Oil Corporation, submitted the winning bid of $2,460,000. The bridge was dismantled, and each stone was numbered.

Everything was shipped 10,000 miles to Long Beach, California, and then trucked to Lake Havasu City. Reconstruction began on September 23, 1968, with a ceremony including the Lord Mayor of London, who laid the cornerstone. On October 10, 1971, the bridge was dedicated.

The Great Wall of China

wallx-large.jpg

A man walks past the remains of a tower of the Great Wall of China, next to a crumbling section of the wall, in 2005. Sections of the wall are being reduced to "mounds of dirt" by sandstorms and may disappear entirely in 20 years.

The impressive looking photos everyone sees of the Great Wall are the sections reconstructed for tourists such as back in 1997 when I walked a section of the Wall outside Beijing.

He actually thought he was buying the one that opens up.

The Great Wall is next.

The Great Wall of China

wallx-large.jpg

He actually thought he was buying the one that opens up.

That's because he wanted to transform his small landlocked lake in the middle of the Arizona desert into a major shipping route between Hope, Arkansas and Boot Hill, Nevada.

220px-Virginiacity.jpg
View of Boot Hill, Nevada
I'm afraid you're gonna have to give me the cite on that claim.

Otherwise....w00t.gif

Ohh the hypocracy of the US. Dont they spy on there own allies and friends.?

Someone is even reading what I'm typing right now at the USA's NSA and the rest of the Alphabet Agencies also include the UK's GCHQ and the rest of their's. Everyone spies on Everyone, no big deal. I view it like Mad Magazine's Spy vs. Spy.

My bad, I thought the USA had borrowed 1.28 trillion from China. if it was a gift then I apologize.

http://money.cnn.com/infographic/news/economy/who-we-owe/

Edited by Spoonman

My bad, I thought the USA had borrowed 1.28 trillion from China. if it was a gift then I apologize.

http://money.cnn.com/infographic/news/economy/who-we-owe/

Well here's a breakdown of the three major holders of the $16 Trillion of U.S. Government debt...

*U.S. Government Trust Funds hold $4.9 Trillion

*U.S. Investors and the Federal Reserve hold $5.6 Trillion

*Foreign countries hold $5.5 Trillion

So 66% of the debt is held within the U.S., 20% is held by foreign countries except additionally for China which holds 7.2% and Japan at 7% (The divvying up of the most recent figure of $17 Trillion is not yet readily or quickly available.)

U.S. FDI to the PRChina is nearly $400 billion whereas China FDI in the U.S. to include this year to date is around $32.8 billion.
U.S. FDI in China is such (banking, high tech, manufacturing etc) that if the U.S. withdrew even 10% of its total of FDI (RMB 2.4 Trillion) the CCP's economy would seriously wobble just on the money factor alone.
The global psychological impact against China losing RMB 2.4 Trillion of goods and services would be enormous and put the CCP's economy at a great risk. These factors combined with the already bursting bubbles in the economy would produce the domestic impact of a widespread mass uprising.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Depth: U.S. Companies That Invest Big In China

http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/06/us-investments-markets-emerging-markets-fdi_slide.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Those who would retort by saying the CCP Boyz in Beijing would call in U.S. payment on the $1 Trillion of T-Bills have no idea of what they're talking about because the CCP Boyz are not suicidal..

Edited by Publicus

^^^On top of that there is more fundamental weakness. The CPC Boyz, the factory owners/slave-masters, they by-and-large want out of the country, along with the nerds (who can easily have their lunch money/intellectual property stolen by better-connected businessmen), and nerds are the backbone of countries. It's a bit like Russia, a lot of steam and flash but at the core there is no substance. Still a threat to world peace, quite willing to brutalize their own citizens to remain in power so certainly willing to brutalize other countries' citizens vis-a-vis war, so yes contain them and hopefully block this sale, plenty of intelligence indicates a vigorous effort to hack other countries, steal vital IP, etc. (ie: the boyz aren't content with stealing their own nerds' lunch money).

On the other hand I have a Canadian friend with Chinese wife who browses Chinese language forums in Canada, they say they want to free China and reckon many of the elites inside the mainland, plus 100 million+ locals, would immediately support this. Maybe instead of blocking the sale it's better to let the boyz show their true colors to the world.

^^^On top of that there is more fundamental weakness. The CPC Boyz, the factory owners/slave-masters, they by-and-large want out of the country, along with the nerds (who can easily have their lunch money/intellectual property stolen by better-connected businessmen), and nerds are the backbone of countries. It's a bit like Russia, a lot of steam and flash but at the core there is no substance. Still a threat to world peace, quite willing to brutalize their own citizens to remain in power so certainly willing to brutalize other countries' citizens vis-a-vis war, so yes contain them and hopefully block this sale, plenty of intelligence indicates a vigorous effort to hack other countries, steal vital IP, etc. (ie: the boyz aren't content with stealing their own nerds' lunch money).

On the other hand I have a Canadian friend with Chinese wife who browses Chinese language forums in Canada, they say they want to free China and reckon many of the elites inside the mainland, plus 100 million+ locals, would immediately support this. Maybe instead of blocking the sale it's better to let the boyz show their true colors to the world.

Block the sale ? It's already a done deal ...wonder which news site you are still reading ....it's always a scattered few who think they know everything that is *yawn* so boring

Of course if some are so serious and paranoid about IP , security hacks and so on...you can take immediate action and thwart this threat ;)

You probably just need to cough out $2 billion and buy it back ...surely the 100 million plus people whom you and your wife knows can cough out $10 each into the cookie jar box and make it happen for the sake of the CCP collapse ?

Hens flying through cloud today ...saw them through my hotel window here in Shanghai ....

Well CPC-PRC spies here, Russian mobster spies there. I guess they are both intent on keeping their countries small.

"Hens flying through cloud today ...saw them through my hotel window here in Shanghai .... "

Well then, enjoy the Shanghai, uh, "weather".

Edited by squarethecircle

Having once stayed a week at the Waldorf whilst chaperoning my daughter at a national dance competition, I can attest that the majority of the regular rooms which occupy the majority of floors are in need of complete and total 100% renovation. Entire floors will need to be gutted and reconceived. The lobby may be grand and the ballrooms magnificent, but the rooms are tiny and the bathrooms harken back to the days when a loo was referred to as a water closet. Fortunately the views make up for the tiny windows. If some Chinese investors are willing to finance the risk then I say go for it. There are plenty of options for US diplomats and others. And I reckon that the entire hotel will need to be closed for at least two years during such a major renovation.

• Like 1

Block the sale ? It's already a done deal ...wonder which news site you are still reading ....it's always a scattered few who think they know everything that is *yawn* so boring

The U.S. Department of the Treasury is examining the not so done deal because it has the statutory mandate to do so, which is to say the sovereign power to undo the deal in whole or in part based on reasons of either business or national security, or both. A business reason for instance would be an undesirable or disreputable corporation foreign or domestic in its ownership, either or both.

The U.S. Government statutory review of such deals is done at the cabinet level. The U.S. Treasury Department is the lead in the auditing process, its Office of Foreign Assets Control.
The decisions are made by the OFAC Board the chairperson of which is the Secretary of the Treasury.
The OFAC Board consists of the secretaries of State, Defense, Homeland Security, the Intelligence Directorate, Commerce, the Attorney General, Transportation and any cabinet secretary who may have direct jurisdiction over the industry being audited, such as Agriculture for example or perhaps Energy. The SecAgriculture sat by the Board's invitation as the leading advocate of the successful Smithfield Foods $4 billion sale to a PRC farming company that was desperately trying to help feed the PRChinese population.
The CCP Boyz have more than once unsuccessfully tried to purchase properties within easy surveillance of U.S. military installations in the United States or abroad. The OFAC Board has directly nixed the attempts in the U.S. and has liaised successfully with governments abroad to stop the Boyz in these amusing larks.
The Board killed Huawei's incipient attempts to enter the U.S. after the NSA sat with the Board to advise it of Huawei's hacking of Pentagon computers and of its industrial espionage.

Of course if some are so serious and paranoid about IP , security hacks and so on...you can take immediate action and thwart this threat wink.png

You probably just need to cough out $2 billion and buy it back ...surely the 100 million plus people whom you and your wife knows can cough out $10 each into the cookie jar box and make it happen for the sake of the CCP collapse ?

Hens flying through cloud today ...saw them through my hotel window here in Shanghai ....

As I'd said, It is a not so done deal so your guys might be dead ducks. These PLA cyborgs do their industrial espionage from their 12-storey heavily guarded building in Shanghai.Maybe you can see it from where you're staying.....

Chinese 'PLA 61398' army unit hacking US firms, Mandiant alleges

APTs traced back to shadowy organisation

19 February 2013

For the first time since alleged Chinese cyberattacks were officially added to the US geo-political agenda in 2010, the world can put a name to what has been going on

US security consultant Mandiant believes it has come up with the name of the most important culprit, ‘PLA 61398’, which it identifies in a new report as being the Chinese state’s elite cyber unit for carrying out economically-motivated Advanced Persistent Threat (APT) attacks.

This unit alone – one of around 20 such military units operating in China - had conducted 141 attacks across 20 industries in the last seven years, although this is probably only a fraction of its true activity, Mandiant said

http://news.techworld.com/security/3426921/chinese-pla-61398-army-unit-hacking-us-firms-mandiant-alleges/

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy

There a lot of serious bafoon terms being thrown out here and the reality is the departments described are mostly lame duck officials who know there are not many buyers out there with the money to renovate it the way it is needed and of course politically they need to be seen as protecting the assets

The Chinese are not dumb or desperate ...if there is any resistance, they walk off the table and wait another year for the price to dip again as the condition review gets worse...lots more iconic buildings on sale unfortunately and that is the reality

Huawei CEO has stated when USA is ready for us, we will be back and happy to serve the customers in USA ...meanwhile other countries are using them, making them the biggest telecommunication equipment maker in the world.

So no deal lost for them that the market of 400 million Americans is closed for now. There are a lot more developing nations in Africa that has the potential to be buyers and more receptive than trying to carve out a share in a crowded market

Huawei CEO has stated when USA is ready for us, we will be back and happy to serve the customers in USA ...meanwhile other countries are using them, making them the biggest telecommunication equipment maker in the world.

So no deal lost for them that the market of 400 million Americans is closed for now. There are a lot more developing nations in Africa that has the potential to be buyers and more receptive than trying to carve out a share in a crowded market

Insiders in the global telecom equipment business know very well how an upstart Huawei became the world's largest overnight. You can google it to read more, and in Thailand I don't want to risk running afoul of the outrageous defamation laws here, but let's just say that Huawei started life with just about every key technology that Cisco had at the time, and continued to acquire more in the same method. Their lower costs of production, combined with instant world class code and equipment resulted in their rapid world market share growth, combined with government-backed vendor finance that none of the other world leaders could compete with.

Cisco mysteriously dropped their huge lawsuit against Huawei when informed by the Chinese government confidentially that they would never do business again in China if they continued. In retrospect, it was a good decision because Cisco continued winning business in China.

So, let's not blow the Huawei "biggest telecom equipment company in the world" horn too loudly, eh?

*Again, this is not my opinion or knowledge, but I read somewhere that this Huawei-Cisco affair was the largest wholesale theft of technology ever.

Edited by keemapoot