Farang/baksida

Neeranam

When approached by a local who stares at you saying, "farang"(guava), what do you say? I used to shout 'saparot'(pineapple) at them.

It never really bothers me now, although it did in my first few years here.

Most of the time nothing bad is meant, however said in a certain tone it can be very offensive.

However, "baksida", often heard in Isarn, is mostly used in an offensive/taking the p*ss way.

When some <deleted> shouted out 'baksida' when I entered a shop today in the middle of Khon Kaen City so as to somehow impress his chums, I couldn't hold back and shouted out 'bak haam noi'. This reverses the impression on his friends makes him look like an idiot. 'Bak haam noi' means something like little boy and is as impolite as him saying baksida.

20 years ago 'baksida was not offensive, but these days it is, unless said by the elderly.

Those who don't like Zinedane Zidane call him 'bakzidane'.

What do you say? Are you one of those who wander about calling yourself 'baksida' making a total dick of yourself?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When approached by a local who stares at you saying, "farang"(guava), what do you say? I used to shout 'saparot'(pineapple) at them.

It never really bothers me now, although it did in my first few years here.

Most of the time nothing bad is meant, however said in a certain tone it can be very offensive.

However, "baksida", often heard in Isarn, is mostly used in an offensive/taking the p*ss way.

When some <deleted> shouted out 'baksida' when I entered a shop today in the middle of Khon Kaen City so as to somehow impress his chums, I couldn't hold back and shouted out 'bak haam noi'. This reverses the impression on his friends makes him look like an idiot. 'Bak haam noi' means something like little boy and is as impolite as him saying baksida.

20 years ago 'baksida was not offensive, but these days it is, unless said by the elderly.

Those who don't like Zinedane Zidane call him 'bakzidane'.

What do you say? Are you one of those who wander about calling yourself 'baksida' making a total dick of yourself?

Everywhere it has envious people - not only in LOS - my opinion :o .

Nope, unless Neeraram meant to transliterate ปาก 'bpàak'.

บัก'bàk' is the Isaan prefix for fruits, and หำน้อย 'hà´m nóoi' literally means 'small pecker' but it is also used in Isaan as a neutral way of addressing small boys. (With regular tone changes, my spelling reflects Central Thai pronunciation, which is not how Isaanites really sound).

It's been ages since I heard somebody scream 'farang' at me... unless done with obvious malice I would probably just ignore it.

When people refer to me as 'farang' in conversations amongst themselves, thinking I don't understand, I usually just say something to make them realize I do, and that will be enough.

I believe that baksida is Isaan for Guava (farang in central Thai), just as baknut is Isaan for pineapple. Bak being the word for fruit in the NE as pointed out by Meadish Sweetball.

It has been ages since I have heard any negative 'farang' comments. Thinking about that I have come up with two reasons. One, I know longer come into contact much with the type of people who do that, and Two: I think times have changed in Bangkok and surrounding areas and farangs are not the novelty they once were. I don't care if people call me farang, that is what I am. It is the tone of voice that it important.

Actually the last time I had a negative 'farang' was when I was leaving a parking lot. I couldn't find my ticket and the toll attendent insisted that I pull up to the booth rather than park off to the side to deal with the issue. That was stupid because my car then blocked all the other cars behind me. After a couple minutes of that the attendent realized he was wrong and had me pull of to the side. The car behind me had a guy who was going ballistic and as he drove past he stuck his head out and shouted an angry 'farang'. I found that amusing rather than anger producing.

:o:D Thats funny.

May be you should have preceeded the "Bak haam noi" with the word "Ai", as in "Ai Bak haam noi"

Nope, unless Neeraram meant to transliterate ปาก 'bpàak'.

บัก'bàk' is the Isaan prefix for fruits, and หำน้อย 'hà´m nóoi' literally means 'small pecker' but it is also used in Isaan as a neutral way of addressing small boys. (With regular tone changes, my spelling reflects Central Thai pronunciation, which is not how Isaanites really sound).

It's been ages since I heard somebody scream 'farang' at me... unless done with obvious malice I would probably just ignore it.

When people refer to me as 'farang' in conversations amongst themselves, thinking I don't understand, I usually just say something to make them realize I do, and that will be enough.

I usually pretend I don't understand at first so I can listem more of what they're saying. It's always nice to see them thunderstormed when a reply comes back in thai, especially when their comments were offensive. :o

I asked my wife about what Neeranam said, as she is from Udon, and she informed me that "baksida" is not bad at all. The same way a Thai will refer to us as farang, Issan people will say baksida but its meant in a friendly, joking way. It's not supposed to be offensive at all.

"When approached by a local who stares at you saying, "farang"(guava), what do you say? I used to shout 'saparot'(pineapple) at them...When some <deleted> shouted out 'baksida' when I entered a shop today in the middle of Khon Kaen City so as to somehow impress his chums, I couldn't hold back and shouted out 'bak haam noi'. This reverses the impression on his friends makes him look like an idiot."

I agree that someone in the conversation looks like an idiot. Why do you find it necessary to say anything?

Correct backflip, There is no need to reply. Some bystanders might smile at the jerkoff's attempt to be cool, but it would not be a smile of aproval, more a nervous smile. Give the people a little credit, they know an idiot when they see one.

I dont get bent out of shape when I hear the word farang. I use the word myself as I dont know any other word to use to describe myself or other farangs. Plus, after years of observing people's behavior, Ive noticed it is often an involantary verbal reaction Thais have when they see a westerner.

As for the name "hum noi (little dink)" I would be honoured. My brother-in-law uses that name for his closest friends!

I asked my wife about what Neeranam said, as she is from Udon, and she informed me that "baksida" is not bad at all. The same way a Thai will refer to us as farang, Issan people will say baksida but its meant in a friendly, joking way. It's not supposed to be offensive at all.

This is how I understood it's use also... I've noticed that Buksida is quite often shortened to Sidaa, I can't say that anyone has actually shouted it at me in the street, but I have heard it used in coversation when people (who don't know me) have been referring to me. Everyone in the village now refers to me by name anyway. Can't say I've ever found it offensive.. and to be honest my wife would soon put anyone straight who was being offensive anyway.

Maybe it's only offensive when they are referring to Neeranam ? :o

Sometimes if I'm in the mood I may say mai farang... poo dee ungrit.. which gets a laugh..but not to total strangers

totster :D

When people stare or say things which I find offensive (even if it's not meant to be offensive), I simply walk away from them and pay no attention to them. I would never reinforce this type of behavior by saying anything or giving them the slightest attention. I don't even look at them.

It alway riles me when I walk past a troop of minimum wage motorcycle boys, or other assorted monkeys who mutter Baksida, Farang doesn't bother me, we all know they're pretty dumb.

"Kwai Thai" is my usual comeback, but what's the point lowering yourself to the level of a chimp.

It alway riles me when I walk past a troop of minimum wage motorcycle boys, or other assorted monkeys who mutter Baksida, Farang doesn't bother me, we all know they're pretty dumb.

"Kwai Thai" is my usual comeback, but what's the point lowering yourself to the level of a chimp.

Jesus, great attitude ...........If you was an Asian guy in UK and was that confrontational with a group of English guys, I doubt you would walk away unharmed.

Thais are very tolerant of Farangs.

Considering the attitudes ( like yours ) expressed by many Farangs in Thailand, I find Thai people unbelievably tolerant.

Monkeys? We all know they're pretty dumb ?

If you got a real beating for calling them Kwai Thai, I would have said it was you that was dumb for pissin' off a group of Thai guys.

Anyway, from one Farang to another, Baksida would never bother me, but I'm sure being called a Monkey or a Buffalo might be slightly offensive.

Edited by Maigo6

I don't like being referred to as farang, especially when people know my name, whether it's in a business situation or private. It might not be meant as a negative, but I just don't like it.

Do I refer to non-locals at home as 'foreigners' when I talk about them? Nope. But, and here's the wonderful thing - most Thais still refer to locals as farang when they live overseas in Oz, the US, UK Germany or wherever. . . :o

Here's something I wrote about the word "farang" in my now-defunct blog:

"...the word farang (usually pronounced falang), which so many Westerners think is some kind of insult or racist slur. Well, it isn't. But Thais do have a vague way of speaking and they do tend to pigeonhole people into groups, such as farang, khaek (people from the Middle East or India), jeen or negro.

As a noun, farang just means a Caucasian foreigner. As an adjective it means anything Western. Thais talk about farang music, farang language and farang "style" all the time.

In English it isn't at all polite to refer to someone by their ethnic group. You couldn't say, "This negro's a good guy." But in Thai it's a bit different. For example, I once came across some colleagues who were counting the sticky labels in a box of paper to be used on a dot-matrix printer. I couldn't imagine why they would be doing this, and when they caught the look of amazement on my face they said, "Farang ngong!" - the foreigner's confused. What they meant was that because I was a foreigner, I couldn't guess why they would be doing it.

Another time I was at dinner with some colleagues and some kind of leaf cooked tempura-style was served. I'd never had it before, but it was delicious so someone ordered some more saying, "Farang chawp!" - the foreigner likes it. What he meant was that he was surprised that a foreigner would like this weird Thai food. So the use of the word farang in front of a farang isn't rude or disrespectful at all and there's no point in getting paranoid or uptight about it. That's just the way it is."

On the very rare occasions I hear the old "You! You!" or "Farang!" in the street, I just ignore it. I don't see the point in getting confrontational and obliging someone who's just trying to get a reaction out of me.

But by using that offensive and profoundly stupid riposte you do lower yourself.For heavens sake most posters in this thread have been around Thailand for years.Most of the time when Thais call out a name for you, it's entirely good natured or a tease.Smile and don't say anything.

This is how I understood it's use also... I've noticed that Buksida is quite often shortened to Sidaa, I can't say that anyone has actually shouted it at me in the street, but I have heard it used in coversation when people (who don't know me) have been referring to me. Everyone in the village now refers to me by name anyway. Can't say I've ever found it offensive.. and to be honest my wife would soon put anyone straight who was being offensive anyway.

Maybe it's only offensive when they are referring to Neeranam ? :o

Sometimes if I'm in the mood I may say mai farang... poo dee ungrit.. which gets a laugh..but not to total strangers

Ok... after speaking with my wife it seems that I must correct myself..

My wife doesn't like it when someone calls me buksida, and tells the person saying it something to that effect. Although not offensive, she feels it is not polite... possibly in the same way as using "ee" or "buk" in front of someones name...the polite way apparently (assuming they don't know my name) is for them to refer to me as farang ! :D

She cracked up laughing when I quoted neeranams "buk ham noi"... and said this was an excellent reply.

So in short.. I was a little mistaken with the use of buksida... but I still wouldn't find it offensive.

There was a Thai song written a couple of years ago called,' My name is Backham, not Beckham', the composer owns a herb factory in Suphanburi and one of the workers from Issan always played football at lunchtime, the locals affectionately called him backham which as mentioned means younger brother in Issan.

I think Neeranam was right to feel irked if the guy shouted out backsida, my wife doesn't like it if I get called that and she's as Issan as they come, a drunk on a motorbike shouted backsida at me recently, he was older so shouting backham noi wouldn't have seemed right, perhaps,'eeyang kor?อีหย้งก้'-what was that? might have been better if he was standing close, but going by on a motorbike- not worthy of response I think.

I refer to myself as a Farang when talking to Thai people, what else would I do?

When asking about the proximity of other westerners in a certain area, I ask if there are other Farangs in the area, what else could I ask that would be so easily understood?

I'm a Farang, that's it.

Do I have a problem with that? No way.

Farangs have a great time in Thailand and are tolerated and welcomed by the vast majority of Thai people.

Would you rather be a Farang or a Thai guy ?

Farang. :o

What ever happened to 'sticks and stones, break my bones blah blah?' The last time someone said something really rude to me was a motorbike guy in Phnom Penh. I just stopped and starred at him. He ranted and raved at me for doing it and I just kept staring all the time smiling. Eventually he noticed a crowd of about 20 khmers had gathered to watch and he suddenly got all embarrased and skulked off. I have done similar in Thailand. Simply looking at them until they break your gaze seems to work, leaving them regretting their indescretion.

I wouldn't bother even batting an eyelid over Farang! or Baksida though. Maybe if the called me a 'fat monkey buffalo foreigner toxin lover' then I might enter into a special 'si starefest.'

We don't have baksida in the South, but rang (shortened from farang).

I am a fan of si's stare if given the old "rang rang" comment. Usually with a quizzical tilt to my brow as if to imply "Where are this person's manners?" :D As yes, I (and my husband) consider it fairly rude. Esp if shouted by a passerby.

We once got a wedding invitation addressed to my husband and his farang wife. :o. Needless to say, we didn't attend this wedding.

We once got a wedding invitation addressed to my husband and his farang wife. :o. Needless to say, we didn't attend this wedding.

Once I exchanged emails with an educated Thai guy who was wanting a job at our company. We didn't have anything available but a few months later he emailed our CEO and mentioned that he'd already talked to "that farang guy." Now that's pretty rude even though the mail wasn't sent to me, and it was that attitude that resulted in us not considering him in the first place. My CEO is Thai and he though it was pretty weird too.

For the people who are saying that the Thai language has no other ways of describing you in a more polite mannor than Farang (which i like most dont find offence) unless used in a way which is obviously meant as insulting, here are two that spring to mind.

ชาวต่างชาติ chaao dtàang châat :o

ชาวต่างประเทศ chaao dtàang bprà-têt :D

If you do business in Thailand i'm sure you will have been refered to as one of these before if people dont know your name. Especialy the first one. :D

:D:D:D

If I can be really bothered then maybe just throw a joke at them for saying it (or more likely a joke to their friends about the guy who said it), always in polite Thai of course. End result, they lose face, you gain some. :D