Thai taxi drivers who reject passengers are susceptible to face legal action

webfact

Taxi drivers who reject passengers are susceptible to face legal action

BANGKOK, 17 October 2014 (NNT) - The Traffic Police Chief has declared that the police have come up with measures to arrest taxi drivers who refuse to accept passengers.

Meanwhile, a lot of people on social media sites have praised one police officer who stepped in to take action against these taxi drivers.

Facebook users have shared photos of Pol. Sub. Lt. Meewichai Muangklang after he had fined three taxi drivers who have denied to take a passenger who was trying to get a cab at the Mahboonkrong (MBK) shopping area on October 14th. The drivers were charged with rejecting passengers without a valid reason, which is a violation of the law.

Taxi drivers who commit the same violations will also be fined for 1,000 baht and have their license suspended for 15 days.

Needless to say, Pol. Sub. Lt Meewichai has received a lot of praise from the public, who have generally agreed that the police should enforce stricter measures against taxi drivers who are selective about picking up passengers.

Meanwhile, the Traffic Police Superintendent Pol. Col. Aphisit Muangkasem said that there had been several cases in tourism areas where taxi drivers refused to accept passengers. Therefore, he has dispatched several traffic police to investigate in those areas.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-17 footer_n.gif

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just spent the last two days exploring the sites around the Palace in Bangkok with a relative.

Impossible to get a taxi to take us and put his meter on. Tried dozens. All wanted 150 - 200 baht for a ride to Khow San Rd and very abusive. Metered its 40baht.

• Like 2

Good luck on that one, I hope you have good medical insurance.

have tried to get a taxi many times at Klom Thom but they refuse saying the traffic is too bad

will be taking the iphone and filming it from now on

Agree with Boris on that; however if you do it, do it in a very public area. Many of them keep toys under their front seats.

Just spent the last two days exploring the sites around the Palace in Bangkok with a relative.

Impossible to get a taxi to take us and put his meter on. Tried dozens. All wanted 150 - 200 baht for a ride to Khow San Rd and very abusive. Metered its 40baht.

Learn Thai. You can hire a taxi for the day for 1,500 Baht.

However, if you decide to argue, take out the helmet, baseball bat-proof glove, and wear a machete-proof jacket!

• Like 1

The taxi driver is part of the face of every country because they are one-on-one with visitors. What they do will be talked about. Good taxi service is an integeral part of being a first world country. But then we are expecting police to get out in this heat and do what they are supposed to do. Let's see what happens.

• Like 1

I must be one of the most fortunate members here on TV, as I've never had a problem in BKK regarding taxis *knocking on wood*. I do remember one time the cabbie looking the right soi for 20 minutes, but that was when I didn't have the address written down in Thai, and my own TH vocabulary was limited to 'khun poo pae sae angkrit pen mai' and 'khob khun kha/krap' biggrin.png

On the southern islands then again - well even a songthaew driver once tried to squeeze 100bht for a kilometer travel whistling.gif

EDIT: Grab taxi is prolly the way to go from now on :)

Edited by jabis
  • Like 2

never had problem with taxi in bangkok, lived in huai kwang area a year ago took taxi everyday, it happened occasionally that they refused to run, but has never happened that they have refused to use the taxi meter, the only place I can remember I have had no problem with the taxi was in kuala lumpur where taxi DRIVER refused to use the taxi meter every time .... for a taxi in bangkok refuse to take you there, oh no you waiting for new taxi. do not understand why there are so many brats who complain about taxi in bangkok.

• Like 2

I use GrabCar (the limo service of GrabTaxi) every day to go to work. Spotless Camry with liveried driver waiting out the front for me to step into; using it again shortly for airport ride and booked for pick up on return. GrabTaxi quite good (but not nearly as); Uber good, too, and UberX (cheaper than taxi rater) just started. Very rarely flag a cab these days.

Beware of filming. I was beaten up on a pavement 2 yrs ago with hundreds of people walking by when I photographed a driver's ID after he'd refused my fare (and at least one other before me) . No one helped, and I speak Thai.

Suggestion. Next time you flag a cab Just get in and then once seated tell him where you want to go .If he then refused take a photo of his Taxi License and then leave.

Give that info the the Taxi association that regulates the Taxis

It will also put the taxi driver on notice as well

Good luck on that one, I hope you have good medical insurance.

have tried to get a taxi many times at Klom Thom but they refuse saying the traffic is too bad

will be taking the iphone and filming it from now on

Agree with Boris on that; however if you do it, do it in a very public area. Many of them keep toys under their front seats.

Good luck on that one, I hope you have good medical (AND LIFE) insurance.

Really. Who would go to this considerable trouble and risk for something that will never change?

This happens all over the world. I live in BKK and this problem is so rare, I do not care.

My Thai is fair at best, I simply avoid those few hot spots where taxis are TRAINED by stupid Foreigners to EXPECT 200 THB for a 40 THB fare.

TRAINED. The driver s are being perfectly logical and business smart. Turn down 5 fares for 40, when you can do one for 200? Sounds damn smart to me!

If we want to yell at someone, grab those idiot tourists by the scruff and let them know "We live here ... F U for supporting this and forking over 10 times the going rate!"

I once saw a girl get out of a Tuk Tuk and hand the driver 500 THB. Trying to help, I said "Excuse me, that was a 500, not a 50"

She said, "No worries, it was a 500 ride"

So ... remind me .. who is the idiot in this story?

I was like ,,, "did he just drive you from Vientiane ????

They have been saying this ever since I arrived in Thailand 4 years ago (and maybe before). Thankfully I have a car of my own and am not subject to the taxi shakedown, but remember well 3 years ago when a taxi driver kicked us out of his cab on Rama 3 with all our bags, a stroller and a sleeping 1 year old baby. What a piece of s*** and I vowed not to have to use taxis from that time.

Question, dear RTP Chief. What are the measures? Or is this another round of RTP hot air?

Two, I'm sure the Suk-11 taxi-morons's refusal to take passengers are well documented. So, 'several cases in tourism areas' is a bit of an understatement, and then some. So, the 'dispatched several coppers to investigate' line doesn't fly anymore. Get in there and solve the problem. Quite faffing about. Or stop talking.

• Like 2

I often wait outside Central Rama 9 for the van to take me to my condo. At the taxi rank I often see taxis refuse numerous people (Thais, farangs, Very old, disabled, etc, doesn't really matter who). But mainly Thai.

I have seen several taxis there refuse 10 or more customers in a row. The person says where he wants to go, the driver shakes his head and thumbs towards the taxi behind him. This normally happens at peak hour when demand exceeds supply, and the drivers feel they can be selective.

If they are so discriminatory regarding a fare, in my mind they shouldn't be allowed to park at a rank at all. They should look for flag downs and, if they are unable to take the customer to their destination due to a shift change, this would be acceptable. I was a taxi owner/operator in Oz for a while and what they need is regulatory officials to monitor the industry. I am sure the collection of fines would more than cover their wages, and we would soon have a more efficient taxi service.

• Like 1

Buy a car....I've used a taxi about twice in 15 years here. Who wants to drive in BKK anyway - even if you are a passenger stuck in traffic. Use a motorbike taxi around the sois.

I've got a car. I don't drive it... I take taxis. When I get stuck in traffic I get out and take a bike. Can't do that if your driving your own car.