Police monitoring 3,000 loan sharks

Lite Beer

Provincial governors told to look closer into problem of people's debts

BANGKOK, 18 October 2014 (NNT) Provincial governors have been told to look closer into the plights of people in their provinces, especially into the problem of debts incurred from non-formal loans, after a woman set herself on fire this week upon learning that officials at a government-run help center for the public were unable to help her clear debts worth 1.5 million baht.

According to Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda, about 400 complaints have been submitted to the government's Damrong Tham help centers in the provinces, and 257 of the cases have been solved, leaving 98 outstanding cases. He said non-formal loans are illegal, and the provincial governors and the local police need to come up with measures to address them.

According to M.L. Panadda Diskul, the minister to the Prime Minister's Office, 4,224 complaints about non-formal loans have been lodged with the service center for the public at Government House.

Police General Woraphong Chiewpricha, the deputy commissioner of the Royal Thai Police, said the police force possessed a list of the individuals known to be non-formal lenders. The police are monitoring their behavior, and will make arrests on anyone of the individuals if he/she clearly breaks the law.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2014-10-18 footer_n.gif

So why the discrepancy...Anupong says 400 complaints and M.L.Diskul says 4,244 complaints. ..???

Why do they monitor an illegal act when they can bust them. It's not hard to figure out when people are approaching someone with a book and receiving money out side factories and bars.

In my area there are Indian/Pakistanis walking up and down Sois approaching factory girls doing busy. The Sukhumvit bar areas have pakastani loan sharks doing their rounds every night and never been touched, so that means they must have protection.

Police talking with loan shark:

There is pressure to stop your loan sharking activities. We need double the bribes this month.

Loan shark: ok, here you go.

Loan shark: darn, we need to raise the interest to make up for the increased bribes.

And tomorrow the busload with poor in debt farmers daughters going to pattaya to sell their bodies will be twice as big.

Enough said

This is a typical political "See, we are doing something. Think no more about this." statement. At what point do people realize that corruption is the basic way of life in Thailand and cannot be significantly reduced in less than maybe three-generations' time. Achieving even that would require a level of continuing resolve nowhere evident at this time.

How about people taking some responsibility themselves!? If you are "poor",how can you borrow 10000 and think you are able to pay 3000 a day in interest! Yeah,not educated...You can be stupid as a doornail,but still understand that it is impossible.And where do these money go,so urgently needed? In many (most?) cases,to gambling. I am not guessing here,I know this.BTW,whatever the money are used for,it is certainly not for a meal...And then,when reallity hits,call for help.But as usual,only think of the moment,never mind about tomorrow,especially if somebody else has to take over the problem.Last,before you screem;yes,I am sure there are some cases which deserves symphaty,but they are few and far between them.

The words "loan shark" implies something illegal. Why not investigate, not monitor. It would be quite simple. Examine the loan sharks books to see what they are loaning to who and at what interest rate. Certainly they are required to keep books...yes? Then go verify. The only problem with this is the loan sharks may be intimidating debtors to keep their mouths shut and local police are probably in bed with the loan sharks.

Exorbitant interest rates should already be illegal. All lenders should be regulated. If there is no limit on interest rates and lenders are not regulated then the government hasn't even taken the first step.

In the past, no administration red, yellow or otherwise, has touched this area of "informal lending".

Why this military appointed administration takes such tepid approach to this aspect of Thainess? Loan sharks to be "Monitored by the police."? I know that TIT but this is a warning sign of things to come...

Story under-developing... just like the rest of the country.

You are wrong. At least two of Thaksin's governments created programs that helped people indebted to loan sharks to get low-interest loans from banks to pay off the loan sharks.

How about taking them out? I mean shooting them on the spot execution style without trial together with their "Muak Gan Nok" employees. Imagine the boost for Thai economy with millions of Thais all of a sudden being freed of their loans while the seized money and assets flow into school systems and health care... Why monitor scum if you can simply wipe it out? If I see a cockroach in my living room, I hit it with a shoe - end of story.

Who will carry out such a program? Certainly not the police for they would be cutting off a perfectly good income stream for themselves and they do not care about the Thai economy.

My reading of this article is that the poor lady set herself on fire because she received no support from the official agencies??

There is no culture of 'investigative' or even comprehensive reporting in Thailand. The questions not asked are sometimes more telling than the questions that are. Don't be quick to form too firm an opinion because of 'news' stories you read in the Thai press. BTW, it is not much better in the West. One report I read was that the government civil servant, who was attending to the lady when she set herself afire, was on the phone to her provincial government trying to get some information but apparently she had an agenda as she came prepared to make a spectacle by bringing the bottle of gasoline and a knife to the meeting. Even reading several different publications over a period of time, it is still difficult to piece together a coherent, factual story as there will always be contradictory 'facts'; sometimes in the same paragraph i.e. post #33 of this thread.

Provincial governors told to look closer into problem of people's debts

BANGKOK, 18 October 2014 (NNT) – Provincial governors have been told to look closer into the plights of people in their provinces, especially into the problem of debts incurred from non-formal loans, after a woman set herself on fire this week upon learning that officials at a government-run help center for the public were unable to help her clear debts worth 1.5 million baht.

According to Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda, about 400 complaints have been submitted to the government's Damrong Tham help centers in the provinces, and 257 of the cases have been solved, leaving 98 outstanding cases. He said non-formal loans are illegal, and the provincial governors and the local police need to come up with measures to address them.

According to M.L. Panadda Diskul, the minister to the Prime Minister's Office, 4,224 complaints about non-formal loans have been lodged with the service center for the public at Government House.

Police General Woraphong Chiewpricha, the deputy commissioner of the Royal Thai Police, said the police force possessed a list of the individuals known to be non-formal lenders. The police are monitoring their behavior, and will make arrests on anyone of the individuals if he/she clearly breaks the law.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2014-10-18 footer_n.gif

Well I don't see that working as anyone in a position of power (particularly the police) in this country is most likely either connected to, related to or benefiting from many of these loan sharks.

The words "loan shark" implies something illegal. Why not investigate, not monitor. It would be quite simple. Examine the loan sharks books to see what they are loaning to who and at what interest rate. Certainly they are required to keep books...yes? Then go verify. The only problem with this is the loan sharks may be intimidating debtors to keep their mouths shut and local police are probably in bed with the loan sharks.

Exorbitant interest rates should already be illegal. All lenders should be regulated. If there is no limit on interest rates and lenders are not regulated then the government hasn't even taken the first step.

I thought unlicensed money lending was illegal anyway. I seem to remember a few posts a while back from guys whose wives lent money . They said it was illegal so they didn't get involved. I suppose the problem is it may well be against the law but who bothers about the law?

Just seen the previous post and it seems I was right.

Edited by kimamey

• 9 months later...

I heard recently that 600 police officers in Udon Thani allegedly have debts of over 1 million baht which means they are all in deep poop. Presumably these are only the official bank debts, I wonder how much they have borrowed from illegal lenders?

How about taking them out? I mean shooting them on the spot execution style without trial together with their "Muak Gan Nok" employees. Imagine the boost for Thai economy with millions of Thais all of a sudden being freed of their loans while the seized money and assets flow into school systems and health care... Why monitor scum if you can simply wipe it out? If I see a cockroach in my living room, I hit it with a shoe - end of story.

these loan sharks have created so much bad blood that it wont take much to spark it. Sooner of later people will realize ... your right.