Steps to getting a Retirement Visa?

Here's my situation:

1. Arrived in Thailand on a double entry tourist visa October 15
  2. Planning to extend that visa in 5-6 weeks so it will give my until January 15
  3. Planning to leave the country January 12 and have my second entry
  4. By March I will have had 800K in the bank for 3 months in the correct type of deposit

I have some questions:

- When I leave the country (step 3) is there anything I need to do to ensure I can return okay and use the 2nd of my double tourist entries.

- When I return a week later is there anything special I need to do to ensure the 2nd of my double tourist entries is used for the return?

- After step 4 once the money has been in the account for 3 months then what will the next step be for me?

Thanks in advance

You need TWO steps to achieve your legal retirement status in Thailand:

Step One: CONVERSION from tourist visa to O visa IN Thailand if you're local Thai immigration office offers that service. If not, you must do that in BANGKOK.

For step one, you have been misinformed, you would need to show the 800K and you would need to show it was imported into Thailand, but at that point it requires no seasoning period. This conversion O visa gives you a 90 day stay. (This is not a retirement visa.)

Step Two: MUST be at your local Thai immigration office ... the application for ANNUAL EXTENSION based on retirement. At that point the funds must be seasoned for TWO months, not three months as it is your first extension. Generally, apply for this extension during the last 30 days (perhaps last 45 days) of your 90 day stay from the O visa obtained in Step One. No problem money seasoning for two months because step One gave you a 90 day stay! (This is not a retirement visa.)

Edited by Jingthing

Money needs to be in the bank for 2 months.

Indeed, but not until the LATER step of applying for the annual extension.

This OP needs a CONVERSION from tourist visa to O visa (90 day stay) which can be done at Bangkok.

At that point, there is no money seasoning needed at all.

The OP needs to know for the CONVERSION step he must show evidence the funds were IMPORTED into Thailand from abroad. If that can't be done, the OP should seek the O visa (single entry O) elsewhere, such as Malaysia or Laos, based on being over age 50 and seeking retirement in Thailand.

The lesson I suppose for OTHERS is that it seems the OP has gone to special bother with the double entry tourist visa in order to achieve three months money seasoning before the application for CONVERSION to 90 day O visa in Thailand. That was actually completely unnecessary because no money seasoning is needed at all at that stage and even later at the point of extension application, only TWO months needed.

Also for others, if you're going to bother getting a tourist visa, if the embassy or consulate you're getting that from will also give you a single entry O visa based on seeking retirement extension later in Thailand (not everywhere will) then that would be the more efficient choice and still allows enough time for the money seasoning.

Edited by Jingthing

Another point is that you don't not have to wait for your tourist visa to expire or you current entry to end.

You can apply for the change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at any time up to the last 15 days of your entry or extension.

As said the money just has to be in the bank no 2 months are needed.

• Like 1

Hi all, im an Irish citizen, over 50 yrs old (OAP) and currently on my 5th "O" visa issued in the Uk. Each year i apply, im told that technically speaking, visa's issued by Uk Consulates are strictly for Uk residents, however its been granted to date. If i can list a couple of questions and hopefully some of you guys who seem to be expert on visa issues, may help.

Firstly, for as long as im issued with Non "O" visas, should i even contemplate changing to a retirement visa and tie up funds un-necessarily? My big fear and its probably the main reason im thinking of a retirement visa, is that the "strictly Uk resident" rule may be enforced.

Secondly, i have an annual pension amounting to approx 500k baht, (taking a pessimistic stab at exchange rates) which means i'd have to make up the balance of 300k deposited in a Thai bank.

I have a rented property in Ireland yielding more than the balance of 300k equivalent. Question and obviously i can produce statements proving pension income, however is rental income an acceptable form of making up the balance? I can show the Irish bank account into which the income is paid, plus a copy of a tenants lease?

I'd appreciate any help on the above.

You get your income letter for Thai immigration from the embassy or consulate of your country in Thailand. So your question is really will the Consulate of Ireland in Thailand accept the rental stream as income (and your method of proof of it) to be included in the letter. Different embassies/consulates have different rules of proof of income and some require no proof at all, just a statement.

Thai immigration will accept the income stated in the letter, if Ireland will! In other words, yes, many people do legitimately use such streams as qualifying income for this purpose.

So any Irish people with info on the income letter process at your consulate?

http://www.irelandinthailand.com/default.asp

Edited by Jingthing

You get your income letter for Thai immigration from the embassy or consulate of your country in Thailand. So your question is really will the Consulate of Ireland in Thailand accept the rental stream as income (and your method of proof of it) to be included in the letter. Different embassies/consulates have different rules of proof of income and some require no proof at all, just a statement.

Thai immigration will accept the income stated in the letter, if Ireland will! In other words, yes, many people do legitimately use such streams as qualifying income for this purpose.

So any Irish people with info on the income letter process at your consulate?

http://www.irelandinthailand.com/default.asp

Thanks Jingthing, appreciate the quick reply. I can certainly check with the Consulate here in Bkk, i just wasn't sure if this type of income stream would be acceptable to Thai Immigration, but you confirm it is.

Thank you again, its guys like you who make this site interesting and great source of info.

Here's my situation:

1. Arrived in Thailand on a double entry tourist visa October 15
  2. Planning to extend that visa in 5-6 weeks so it will give my until January 15
  3. Planning to leave the country January 12 and have my second entry
  4. By March I will have had 800K in the bank for 3 months in the correct type of deposit

As others have said, you could do the non-imm O conversion and then the retirement extension earlier than the dates you have proposed.

But if you stick with the above plan, your visa sticker will have an expiry date printed on it that is based on when it was issued, NOT when you first enter the country. If you plan to do a second entry on the tourist visa, it must be before the expiration printed on the visa.

You plan to enter Thailand on October 15 and make your second use the of the visa on 12 January, but that would be 89 days after you entered Thailand, by which time the visa will probably have expired if it was initially good for 90 days from issue. A permission to stay, as the name implies, permits you to stay IN Thailand not to go in and out. The visa (or a re-entry permit) allows you to cross back into Thailand if still valid.

There is a visa expiry date printed on the visa which is when it will expire and no longer be valid. It cannot be renewed or extended.

Each time you get a permission to stay or extension of stay from immigrations there will be a date when it expires and you must leave the country.

The expiration on the visa and the expiration on your current permission to stay are two different things. A permission to stay and a visa are not the same things.

Edited by Suradit69

Hi all, im an Irish citizen, over 50 yrs old (OAP) and currently on my 5th "O" visa issued in the Uk. Each year i apply, im told that technically speaking, visa's issued by Uk Consulates are strictly for Uk residents, however its been granted to date. If i can list a couple of questions and hopefully some of you guys who seem to be expert on visa issues, may help.

Firstly, for as long as im issued with Non "O" visas, should i even contemplate changing to a retirement visa and tie up funds un-necessarily? My big fear and its probably the main reason im thinking of a retirement visa, is that the "strictly Uk resident" rule may be enforced.

Secondly, i have an annual pension amounting to approx 500k baht, (taking a pessimistic stab at exchange rates) which means i'd have to make up the balance of 300k deposited in a Thai bank.

I have a rented property in Ireland yielding more than the balance of 300k equivalent. Question and obviously i can produce statements proving pension income, however is rental income an acceptable form of making up the balance? I can show the Irish bank account into which the income is paid, plus a copy of a tenants lease?

I hope I don't tread on the expert's toes here, but I was very disappointed when The Non-Imm O's multiples became harder to get from Hull in the UK.

The disadvantages with that Visa over retirement Ext ...1) every 90 days you need to leave Thailand, the time and expense is to be considered. (I used to take my TGF on trips to nearby countries and quite enjoyed it). 2) At the end of the Visa you will need to do a UK trip, although you can get 15 months by planning.

Visa benefits. Not having to go to Immigration each year, dancing through hoops, nor put 800k on deposit was something I liked.

I used to do at least 1 UK trip annually anyhow.

I hope I don't tread on the expert's toes here, but I was very disappointed when The Non-Imm O's multiples became harder to get from Hull in the UK.

The disadvantages with that Visa over retirement Ext ...1) every 90 days you need to leave Thailand, the time and expense is to be considered. (I used to take my TGF on trips to nearby countries and quite enjoyed it). 2) At the end of the Visa you will need to do a UK trip, although you can get 15 months by planning.

Visa benefits. Not having to go to Immigration each year, dancing through hoops, nor put 800k on deposit was something I liked.

"Visa benefits. Not having to go to Immigration each year, dancing through hoops, nor put 800k on deposit was something I liked."

I've never felt like I was required to dance through any hoops, certainly not when compared to doing border runs and annually visiting a Thai embassy or consulate for a new visa. At one time I kept Baht 800,000 in the bank, which wasn't a probably since I needed the money for living expenses anyway, but have in recent years shifted to just using the income method, so there's no need to keep a relatively large amount in the bank here if you'd prefer not to.

Thanks Jacko45k, you're opinion and advice is much appreciated, as i've said in another reply, were it not for guys like you, the site would be a dull, uninteresting place....

• Like 1

Would you have to go back to The UK? Couldn't you get another Multiple Non O Visa in Savannakhet? (at least right now)

Edited by Smurkster

Talking about extensions based on income letters from your embassy. What Thai embassies might say for O-A is kind of a different thing. I've heard of people using rental streams to support extension applications for years. Again if your embassy is OK with it I would expect no issues at Thai immigration.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When I put in for my visa in Sydney, rental income was not accepted as a income stream, as explained by the consulate official, tenets could stop paying the rent,

This is always the trouble with consulates/immigration offices, they all seem interpret the rules differently. You only have to prove your income for the last 12 months is equal too or over the minimum amount. The income can come from any means. I give the Brit embassy my last 3 bank statements and they look at the top one multiply by 12 and confirm my earnings for the last 12 months. Where the income comes from is not mentioned. Even if your tenants moved out you would get new tenants and if you didn't you wouldn't be able to renew your retirement extension, so there's in no logic in their explanation.

• Like 1

The lesson I suppose for OTHERS is that it seems the OP has gone to special bother with the double entry tourist visa in order to achieve three months money seasoning before the application for CONVERSION to 90 day O visa in Thailand. That was actually completely unnecessary because no money seasoning is needed at all at that stage and even later at the point of extension application, only TWO months needed.

Well, there's always the chance, albeit slight, that conversion and retirement extension could occur on the same day -- if the seasoning criteria had been met. Don't recall ever seeing this happening at Bangkok Immigration -- only at some of the seaside Immigration offices. This included Jomtien, but I guess this is no longer possible, what with conversions required to be done in Bangkok.

• Like 1

When I put in for my visa in Sydney, rental income was not accepted as a income stream, as explained by the consulate official, tenets could stop paying the rent,

This is always the trouble with consulates/immigration offices, they all seem interpret the rules differently. You only have to prove your income for the last 12 months is equal too or over the minimum amount. The income can come from any means. I give the Brit embassy my last 3 bank statements and they look at the top one multiply by 12 and confirm my earnings for the last 12 months. Where the income comes from is not mentioned. Even if your tenants moved out you would get new tenants and if you didn't you wouldn't be able to renew your retirement extension, so there's in no logic in their explanation.

Apples and oranges. He went to an embassy of THAILAND in Australia.

For an O-A visa which is only one option. An O-A never required to start with retirement in Thailand.

Also the embassy people seemed to see the application as a lifetime income statement projection.

It never is. It's only year by year so their excuse is lame ... current income for that year included rent

To get income letters for retirement extensions you NEVER go to Thailand embassies.

You go to your own embassy or consulate.

Thailand has nothing to do with dictating the policies of your embassy regarding what proof they require.

Believe me, there is NO Thai immigration rule barring rental income for this.

Also the Thai embassies abroad are embassies.

They are not Thai immigration offices in Thailand.

Different situations.

Some people believe it's only pensions that qualify because of the word retirement.

Nope. Absolutely not.

Again if you get your income letter, you're basically done and your rental stream can be used.

If you don't, then you can't use it.

Simple really and not as ambiguous as you suggest.

Also in the unlikely event that Thai immigration asks for backup of your income letter, it is my strong opinion if you can prove your income stream income, that would be fine, as again there is no immigration law rule that says rental streams can't be used.

Edited by Jingthing

Sure, and your private pension fund could go bankrupt, your investment income could be mismanaged, your oil royalties could dry up. There are many possibilities, that's why every country has/could have different criteria.

Would you have to go back to The UK? Couldn't you get another Multiple Non O Visa in Savannakhet? (at least right now)

Well since I was going to be in the UK anyhow obviously straight forward to mail off the passport. A few times I stopped off in Hull and got a Non Imm O Multi on the way to Newcastle to visit friends. I always thought the multiples were tough to get locally, and back then it was known to be easy from Hull. I changed to a retirement extension some years back, mainly to save the 90 day border runs. Some are saying the border runs were tedious but mine were sometimes a Biz Class flight for me and the TGF and 3 nights in a 5 Star hotel in Singapore or Hong Kong. And lots of duty free, now trips to some dirty and hot Cambodian border town on a minibus, yes those are tiresome!

• Like 1

Unless married to a Thai or being the legal father of a Thai a multiple entry non-o would not be done in Savannakhet.

Unless married to a Thai or being the legal father of a Thai a multiple entry non-o would not be done in Savannakhet.

But presumably he would have no difficulty in obtaining a single entry non-O at Savannakhet at least when he exited the country in January as per his step #3? If his step #4 is to be believed, he will have his financial ducks lined up in time for an initial annual extension of stay application at his local office in March.

The only other option available to him would be to endure the non-O conversion experience at Chaengwattana Immigration, which is truly horrendous according to recent reports on here (and which I would personally not wish on my worst enemy!).