Criminal court rejects Suthep's lawsuit against Tarit

webfact

No one with any power is going to jail or paying a penalty, Democrat or PTP. Seems the courts and the Junta have decided that the best way to achieve peace and reconciliation is to let everyone walk. I'm not particularly upset about it, a lot of things may change, but not for the rich and powerful, business as usual for them.

"the Junta have decided that the best way to achieve peace and reconciliation is to let everyone walk. I'm not particularly upset about it......"

Right, so you're not upset about....an amnesty! Were you saying this six months ago? Or would you have gone along with an amnesty for everyone except Thaksin?

Would you rather Tarit was in jail, as he should be, or Yingluck banned for 5 years? I would, but it isn't going to happen, the powers that be have made a decision. Was I saying it six months ago, no, but perhaps it is for the best. Amnesty for Thaksin, as far as I'm concerned he should be drawn and quartered for what he has done to this country. Anything else?

Thaksin has done many things to this country, I'll leave you to quote your own favourites, Here's part of my list for a bit of balance;

• Shown that the old Royalist elite can be challenged.
  • Taught the rural Thai populace that their votes do matter. (while there is a democracy anyway)
  • Introduced (flawed) universal healthcare and extended it to cover foreign workers
  • Stimulated a pride in community in some of the most depressed parts of Thailand.
  • Introduced a realistic National Minimum wage and accessible low interest loans which has lifted many workers and farmers out of abject poverty (to just moderate poverty?).
  • Helped Thailand recover from the 1997 financial crisis and repaid early its debt to the IMF
  • Balanced the National budget and reduced public sector debt
  • Introduced scholarships for children from impoverished backgrounds to study overseas
  • Reduced state control of the media by privatising TV companies
  • Decentralised education by removing schools from the MoE to tambon organisations
  • Increased access to universities for lower income students through a student loan system
  • Introduced far reaching renewable energy and energy conservation policies
  • Reformed the ministerial structure of Government for the first time since the 1890s to focus onperformance and results.

Much of the best of these reforms and achievements were promptly reversed by the 2006 junta but the top 5 in the list are still there.

Some posters here wear blinkers and only ever mention his failings and failures, but Thaksin is THE most influential ELECTED leader Thailand ever had and with his well selected and competent cabinet achieved more positives for Thailand in two terms of office than the current bunch would be capable of

in 2 decades - and unfortunately we may be about to witness that over the next 18 years or so.

“Taught the rural Thai populace…”

Or bought? whistling.gif

Ah, finally, the vote-buying-myth. It will not die. It is simply a too convenient tool to deny millions of people their right to take part in the political process.

Suthep is broke. Who ever funds these wallies should be going to jail. Maybe he has picked up the honey trail in the monkhood?

I wish Suthep was broke, It would mean he went under the same bus as Sondhi Lim.

But there'll be lots of others to do whatever the 1% wants them to do as long as they can be persuaded it's 'for king and country'. The usual mantra of the 1% everywhere. And the fools line up to suck it up.

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of people.

W

No one with any power is going to jail or paying a penalty, Democrat or PTP. Seems the courts and the Junta have decided that the best way to achieve peace and reconciliation is to let everyone walk. I'm not particularly upset about it, a lot of things may change, but not for the rich and powerful, business as usual for them.

"the Junta have decided that the best way to achieve peace and reconciliation is to let everyone walk. I'm not particularly upset about it......"

Right, so you're not upset about....an amnesty! Were you saying this six months ago? Or would you have gone along with an amnesty for everyone except Thaksin?

Would you rather Tarit was in jail, as he should be, or Yingluck banned for 5 years? I would, but it isn't going to happen, the powers that be have made a decision. Was I saying it six months ago, no, but perhaps it is for the best. Amnesty for Thaksin, as far as I'm concerned he should be drawn and quartered for what he has done to this country. Anything else?

Thaksin has done many things to this country, I'll leave you to quote your own favourites, Here's part of my list for a bit of balance;

• Taught the rural Thai populace that their votes do matter. (while there is a democracy anyway)
  • Introduced (flawed) universal healthcare and extended it to cover foreign workers
  • Stimulated a pride in community in some of the most depressed parts of Thailand.
  • Introduced a realistic National Minimum wage and accessible low interest loans which has lifted many workers and farmers out of abject poverty (to just moderate poverty?).
  • Helped Thailand recover from the 1997 financial crisis and repaid early its debt to the IMF
  • Introduced scholarships for children from impoverished backgrounds to study overseas
  • Decentralised education by removing schools from the MoE to tambon organisations
  • Increased access to universities for lower income students through a student loan system
  • Reformed the ministerial structure of Government for the first time since the 1890s to focus onperformance and results.

Much of the best of these reforms and achievements were promptly reversed by the 2006 junta but the top 5 in the list are still there.

Some posters here wear blinkers and only ever mention his failings and failures, but Thaksin is THE most influential ELECTED leader Thailand ever had and with his well selected and competent cabinet achieved more positives for Thailand in two terms of office than the current bunch would be capable of

in 2 decades - and unfortunately we may be about to witness that over the next 18 years or so.

Or bought? whistling.gif

Ah, finally, the vote-buying-myth. It will not die. It is simply a too convenient tool to deny millions of people their right to take part in the political process.

I posed a question. And it has nothing to do with your speculative claim about "denying millions of people their right to vote"!

But as you claim it is a vote-buying-myth, then you can provide the evidence that this did not happen?

Or bought? whistling.gif

I posed a question. And it has nothing to do with your speculative claim about "denying millions of people their right to vote"!

But as you claim it is a vote-buying-myth, then you can provide the evidence that this did not happen?

You can't prove a negative. Elections since 2000 have been declared as 'substantially free and fair' by independent observers.

To those who understand the Thai culture, vote-buying is a tradition among all political parties - it doesn't work anyway these days because people take the money and vote as they were going to anyway, mainly in local or village elections.

Vote-buying is a mantra for the gullible and bigoted; a fall-back when they can't find anything else to complain about in an election which they lost. That's all.

W

Edited by Winniedapu