Power extension cords chaos

JohnnyJazz

The only safe solution is adding more outlets which is really easy to do in Thailand as most homes are wired outside the walls but even if inside a competent electrician can drop a line inside the wall.. Even adding another breaker in the panel is easy but of course turn off the main first.. Getting a Thai electrician to add a few outlets is very cheap I would say less then a 1000 baht for sure.. I had one added about 6 years ago and it cost me 200 baht total.. It is the safest thing to do because what you have now is a huge fire hazard...

I wanted to add that you can add outlets to your rental even high end Hiso style rental as long as you maintain the athetics but for most Thai style rentals no one would notice a new outlet or would appreciate if they did.. I always fix up the place I am renting as safety and comfort are important and most upgrades are pretty cheap to implement and in some cases like air conditioners can be removed and taken witn you or sold..

That's what I did with our long-time rented home here in BKK.

When we moved it, it was lacking in wall plugs particularly in the kitchen and in the area we use for a home office, and those wall outlets the house had were the older round pin Thai style, and looked like they had been there for years.

Hired an electrician to come in and replace the old receptacles with new modern style outlets, and then in the same locations either added a second adjoining wall box to double the number of available outlets, or run a wall cable a short distance away to a more convenient location for a new wall receptacle.

Really didn't want to be fiddling around with extension cords in the kitchen in order to plug in things like a toaster, rice cooker, microwave oven, toaster over, water boiler, etc etc.

My wish list for extension devices is on/off switches for each outlet on the device, not just one master switch to turn on/off all the outlets simultaneously. Only some of the cheaper generic ones seem to have that, for some reason.

e.g. I have a power bar for my computer desk into which I plug in computer, LCD screen, notebook charger, printer and scanner. I rarely use the printer or scanner, and not often use the notebook charger at home. I'd like to switch off those devices individually on the power bar, rather than having to plug/unplug them each time I use them. Ditto for a DVR and DVD player on the power bar with the TV.

When I built my house I installed one or sometimes two boxes on every wall. I don't have any rug rats so I mounted them the US way, 12 inches above the floor. Most are hidden behind furniture and I think that there is only one extension cord in the house which I made especially, length, for the application. I have eight mounted outlets on the wall where my desk and computers are. I hate extension cords and wired my house myself when i built it.

Thats a wise move if you are in charge of the build but unfortunately those that rent or buy an existing house are screwed. I have never in my 26 years here ever owned or rented a place with enough electric outlets.

Btw. Have any of you ever lifted a ceiling tile and wondered why there is 5-6 km of randomly connected (Usually joined with black tape) cable up there?

Oh Dear Lord I have.

I decided (foolishly) to venture up into my roof space to try to figure out where my trusty installer had run a length of CAT5 cable that seemed dead. The mess of cables wires, often spliced with as you rightly say nothing but electrical tape was truly frightening

I have promised myself that come cold season, when the temperature up there isn't akin to a some kind of Guantanamo torture chamber, I'll go back and try to fix as much as I can

My wish list for extension devices is on/off switches for each outlet on the device, not just one master switch to turn on/off all the outlets simultaneously. Only some of the cheaper generic ones seem to have that, for some reason.

e.g. I have a power bar for my computer desk into which I plug in computer, LCD screen, notebook charger, printer and scanner. I rarely use the printer or scanner, and not often use the notebook charger at home. I'd like to switch off those devices individually on the power bar, rather than having to plug/unplug them each time I use them. Ditto for a DVR and DVD player on the power bar with the TV.

I found a decently made, 5 outlet strip with individual on/off switches (Rated 2400 Watts) at Home Pro.

I like using it in the kitchen with my high draw appliances on it, keeping outlets on off until I need it. That prevents inadvertently using two at the same time.

Also good for controlling phone and tablet charging devices.

Paid somewhere between B400-500.