Sold Home In US - Need Help on Notary

Hi everyone

The wife and I just sold our house as it's close to the close. The title company told us we will have to go make an appointment with the consulate, pay an $800 fee, get our documents notarized there and mail the docs.

The title company also mentioned if Thailand is part of the Hague Convention where a local attorney that is US based could do it for us. I could not find anything on this.

My first question is if the process is easy. The second question is there is another way like the Hague Convention where a local attorney could do this.

Much thanks!

Do they not use digital signing? I bought a house in the US (Oregon) about 2 months ago and the seller was at the other end of the country. The title company sent the docs in PDF form for digital signing. Adobe Reader will do digital signing.

At the least you could ask.

What state is your property in? Is closing handled by an escrow company or is it one of those states where lawyers need be involved? Also, do you mean an 800 Baht fee? The US consulate charges something like $20-$25 dollars to notarize documents.

OK, belay my last. The fee seems to be $50 now.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html

Edited by lannarebirth

USA lawyers probably won't accept documents notarized in Thailand, as they are not part of the Hague Convention. I had this problem selling a property in Europe and ended up having to fly there to sign the documents.

I've done this four times, the last two were earlier this year. Mine we're real estate mortgage docs. I can confirm that a Thai lawyer notary is not valid in the US and that the only place is at the embassy Bangkok or consulate in Chiang Mai. $50 fee per notarized signature. My last one cost me $350.

Scheduling was the trickiest thing since you have to schedule an appointment at the embassy in advance.

The remote notary is interesting. I went to the website and it's FAQ answers the legality questio.n