Bangkok vs Pattaya

kw85

I haven't been to Thailand for three years but I'm planning a trip back with two of my friends and my brother. My brother and I are pretty much set on keeping BKK as the home base, but one of my friends has been talking to a co-worker who says that "Bangkok is ok if you know where to go" and Pattaya is better. He also says that BKK is too dangerous, which I dont agree with. Bangkok is in my top three favorite cities in the world (along with Beijing and Rio).

I think there is a lot to do in Bangkok, as far as cultural stuff, nightlife, food, etc. I just wanted to get an opinion from the seasoned Thailand vets about this.

If it has been done before, please just provide me with a link. I haven't found anything on the forum yet.

If you can handle Rio, Bangkok is a breeze as far as crime goes! LOL I've been to Rio and Beijing...and lived in Bangkok off and on for several years.

It all depends on what you are looking for. If nice restaurants, nightclubs with great music, cultural opportunities, etc...then Bangkok is great. If it's mainly for a "boy's night out", then Pattaya wins hands down.

How long is your trip? Maybe cut out the last few days for a stay in Pattaya?

Please, no Pattaya bashing. If your only comment is extremely negative, it will be removed with no notice.

• Like 2

No shortage of sin and fun to be had in Bangkok, might even get some culture if you are not careful. Pattaya does have the seashore but if you really need such then Phuket is the place for beaches, sailing, diving etc. with moderate quantity/quality of sin available.

Pattaya has great restautrants, the beach, Nong Nooch Gardens, Aquarium, Water Park, golf courses, Million Years Stone Park, Sanctuary of Truth, etc. Walking Street is better than anything BKK has to offer. I would agree with previous comments--try to spend some time in BKK and some time in Pattaya!

• Like 2

Time in both is a must

Couldn't agree more. Easy to spend time in both. I personally have never felt unsafe anywhere in Thailand, at any time of the day or night. Both places have a lot to offer, and both are different.

• Like 1

Pattaya has great restautrants, the beach, Nong Nooch Gardens, Aquarium, Water Park, golf courses, Million Years Stone Park, Sanctuary of Truth, etc. Walking Street is better than anything BKK has to offer. I would agree with previous comments--try to spend some time in BKK and some time in Pattaya!

As all other posts have said do Bangkok and Pattaya

Both have much the same to offer (apart from the beach) people forget how much there is to see in Bangkok and surrounding areas (great place)

If preference is all about bars and clubs within close vicinity of each other then Pattaya is hard to beat.

I prefer Soi Cowboy over walking street every day of the week (all about preference).

Why not do both? They are only around 2 hours apart by bus or taxi.

I agree.... There are few of you. Do couple of nights in bkk. Stay near soi4. Taxi is 1200 to pattaya. Under 2 hours. Accom cheap.

Depending how long you have....after few more days get taxi to Hua Hin.....about 2800. Does not go all way into bkk. Chilled place. Great fan room on pier for 500 baht.

Good bars etc. Nice beach. White sand.

Taxi back to bkk under 1800.

Job done

All I can say as a long time Pattaya resident, there are much fewer reasons to visit Bangkok each year. Pattaya more and more has a lot of what Bangkok offers but a beach resort city setting. Now if Bangkok was London I would agree about the cultural events ... but from a western POV I am not impressed with what Bangkok offers culturally.

Pattaya is progressing very nicely...well...other than the traffic jams!

We still like to visit Bangkok from time to time for good music and check out new restaurants. But Pattaya has changed a lot in the past 5-7 years. For the better...depending on your point of view!

If the reason for going to Pattaya, is for the beach, and not the sin, there are MUCH better locations than Pattaya. Try Hua Hin, Cha-Am, Koh Lanta or Koh Chang, to name just a few.

I also feel that Bangkok is much safer than Pattaya and has a LOT more to offer, even if sin is what you are after.

Pattaya is a one trick pony and I personally find it gets very boring, very quickly.

You were doing so well until that last sentence.

I have some buddies from the US who come over at least twice a year for the last 5 or 6 years. They always start in Bangkok and do the remainder in Pattaya. Their more recent trips sees less and less Bangkok time and more Pattaya time. They have just arrived for their 2014 low-season visit and have completely panned Bangkok and plan on spending all the time in Pattaya.

The key I think would be what is your total time in Thailand together. I would say Bangkok can be done both culturally and sinfully in 4 days tops. Pattaya's attractions may dim after about a week.

• Like 2

Walking Street is better than anything BKK has to offer.

In your opinion why is WS better than lets say, RCA, Ratchada, Sri Nakarin, Lat Prao or Pattanakarn?

• Like 1

If the reason for going to Pattaya, is for the beach, and not the sin, there are MUCH better locations than Pattaya. Try Hua Hin, Cha-Am, Koh Lanta or Koh Chang, to name just a few.

I also feel that Bangkok is much safer than Pattaya and has a LOT more to offer, even if sin is what you are after.

Pattaya is a one trick pony and I personally find it gets very boring, very quickly.

You were doing so well until that last sentence.

I have some buddies from the US who come over at least twice a year for the last 5 or 6 years. They always start in Bangkok and do the remainder in Pattaya. Their more recent trips sees less and less Bangkok time and more Pattaya time. They have just arrived for their 2014 low-season visit and have completely panned Bangkok and plan on spending all the time in Pattaya.

The key I think would be what is your total time in Thailand together. I would say Bangkok can be done both culturally and sinfully in 4 days tops. Pattaya's attractions may dim after about a week.

In terms of value for money, Pattaya beats Bkk every time.

Hotels, food, drinks, female company etc etc.

Suk soi 4, Soi Cowboy, sorry overpriced dumps, give me soi 7/8 in Pattaya any day.

• Like 1

Now if Bangkok was London I would agree about the cultural events ... but from a western POV I am not impressed with what Bangkok offers culturally.

Compared to where? If you're after culture in Pattaya, the probiotics fridge in 7-11 is probably your best bet. whistling.gif

• Like 2

Now if Bangkok was London I would agree about the cultural events ... but from a western POV I am not impressed with what Bangkok offers culturally.

Compared to where? If you're after culture in Pattaya, the probiotics fridge in 7-11 is probably your best bet. whistling.gif

Ha ha.

Culture to me would be an off broadway play or a cutting edge modern art gallery.

OK, I have seen some interesting modern Thai art in Bangkok but no critical mass of amazing like in New York or a place like that.

I wasn't suggesting Pattaya has "culture" of course it doesn't but to a westerner Bangkok doesn't have much either. My opinion.

Edited by Jingthing

Culture you say, I have seen more culture in a tramps vest than I have ever seen in Pattaya.

• Like 2

Let's face it. If you want ayce buffets and no place to go at night other than bars, Pattaya is awesome!

There is a reason that even with a condo in Bang Saray we have not bothered to go into the main part of Pattaya for a year.

We are more likely to spend a night in a different part of BKK than to head into Pattaya proper.

Dinner and drinks followed by live music, or theater, plays or just wandering around in BKK works well for us.

The condo in BKK is near Rama 9 park and there is always something to do near there.

Pattaya is dead during the day, but comes alive when the sky turns dark. Especially so on Pattaya Second Road. I could hardly find a proper place for breakfast in the morning other than McDonald's. In the evening, the mood is very different. Bangkok does not offer that "holiday mood". Most of the attractions in Pattaya are near to one another, while those in Bangkok are scattered miles apart from one other.

In terms of law and order, I feel Bangkok is much safer. At least the property developers in Bangkok don't dare to collect "extra" 4% transfer fee on your new purchase on behalf of the Land Office :) And the taxis in Bangkok run on "meter", unlike Pattaya. You will have to live with songtaew in Pattaya.

As capital of Thailand, Bangkok does offer some advantages over her neighboring city, one of which is subway and MRT.

Like others, your destination depends on what your interest is but I would recommend to locate the group in the Pattaya/Jomtien Beach area and commute as needed.

Pattaya is low key, compared to the BTS and traffic in BKK.

Also suggest you stay in the Jomtien Beach area as it is less hectic then the Pattaya tourist area and has nicer beaches. And if you want to go to Pattaya from Jomtien it costs 20 THB for a 15-minute songtail ride.

When in Jomtien, I wake-up around 0700 for a morning run on the beach. Little to no traffic an enjoy the sun rising & beach waves.

Get a quick breakfast and between11-1300, shoot up to Pattaya for a walk around town, stores, and jaunt down to Soi 6 for some smiles/massage.

There are a lot of early AM fruit/vegetable markets and once you leave you will miss it.

Evening time I recommend you travel to Walking Street, from Jomtien Beeach using a songtail, for the shows and entertainment ---

Edited by lcp0761

If you are an alchoholic you will likely prefer Pattaya hands down.coffee1.gif

Especially if you are a cheap one!

If it has any relevance to the OP, hotels are mostly cheaper in Pattaya, as are most things.

It is also far easier to travel around, being smaller. Even the weather is better, it rains less and is cooler.

Walking Street is better than anything BKK has to offer.

In your opinion why is WS better than lets say, RCA, Ratchada, Sri Nakarin, Lat Prao or Pattanakarn?

Bizarre comparison... unless you subscribe to the 'one trick pony' viewpoint and think that all Pattaya has is WS.

Since I am not at all familiar with any of the aforementioned Bangkok night spots that are notably overwhelmingly patronized by the locals, maybe we should address your query to the thousands of Bangkok people who escape to Pattaya at the slightest hint of a day off and give us traffic gridlock on the long holiday weekends.

There's no denying that Bangkok has a more sophisticated and diverse dining and entertainment scene (my jury is still out on any cultural claims) but you really can't compare mangos and oysters now can you?

If it has any relevance to the OP, hotels are mostly cheaper in Pattaya, as are most things.

It is also far easier to travel around, being smaller. Even the weather is better, it rains less and is cooler.

I tend to think of it as Pattaya has a larger choice of cheap hotels. Obviously catering to the folk who tend to visit the place. On the flip side, it has a much smaller choice of 4/5* hotels.

I'm not sure about easier to travel around ... the roads from Naklua and Jomtien tend to gridlocked during the evening rush hour, particularly at weekends, and there is no BTS/MRT alternative.

Edited by rajyindee

I tend to think of it as Pattaya has a larger choice of cheap hotels. Obviously catering to the folk who tend to visit the place. On the flip side, it has a much smaller choice of 4/5* hotels.

I'm not sure about easier to travel around ... the roads from Naklua and Jomtien tend to gridlocked during the evening rush hour, particularly at weekends, and there is no BTS/MRT alternative.

Yes, that is why I said hotels are cheaper.

Pattaya is far easier to get around, Bangkok is of course gridlock most of the day. A motorcycle taxi can get you where you want to go pretty quickly in Pattaya and none of the traffic lights take 15 minutes to change unless the police have got control of them. It deteriorates though.

Edited by jacko45k

Pattaya is far easier to get around, Bangkok is of course gridlock most of the day. A motorcycle taxi can get you where you want to go pretty quickly in Pattaya and none of the traffic lights take 15 minutes to change unless the police have got control of them. It deteriorates though.

Both Pattaya and Bangkok suffer from gridlocks to varying degrees, but only one of them has alternative transport solutions.

Edited by rajyindee