Any one else heard Nov 12th marks the return of chairs?

steelepulse

For me one row of beach chairs and umbrellas works well, food and drink carts as well. However chairs 3-4 deep

and permanent restaurant structures is a bridge too far. As they say if you give and inch someone always takes a mile.

We will see what comes to pass. coffee1.gif

"As they say if you give and inch someone always takes a mile." - exactly. They can't be trusted here to accept a minor concession. It will "inch" towards the mess it was before.

They would need proper Governance, and enforcement, before any concession to zero tollerance can be issued.

We will see in a few days time.

• Like 2

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NamKangMan, on 08 Nov 2014 - 11:14, said:
impulse, on 08 Nov 2014 - 10:47, said:
NamKangMan, on 08 Nov 2014 - 10:31, said:

"But they're still sex tourists." - does that mean they do not spend? Does that mean they have criminal records? Does that make them bad people?

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand. Anyone visiting Thailand for an illegal purpose is, by definition, a criminal. (Edit: BTW, I'm not against prostitution. I'm just not in favor of offshoring the jobs)

The thread is about beach chairs, and whether they're going back in, and whether that's good for tourism (and I'll add, long term and short term "good")

And my contention is that as long as Thailand panders to mass tourism, of a largely sex and debauchery oriented nature, they'll be fighting the same issues continuously. But I'd ask, with not a single beach chair or bar girl in sight, which location do you think makes more money on their tourists, this one or the one with all the beach chairs?

There can be so much more to beach tourism... But someone has to admit that something needs to change.

"Prostitution is illegal in Thailand." - yes, it is.

"Anyone visiting Thailand for an illegal purpose is, by definition, a criminal." - no, they are not. They have to attempt to commit a crime, or actually commit a crime, and then be found guilty by a Court. After this, they can be called a criminal.

I take your point that Thailand could end sex tourism, and promote beach tourism, BUT, consider the loss of money from sex tourists, and the financial harship on Thai families in Issan, and I can't see it happening in my lifetime, considering its been happening for decades now, with no desire to stop it.

Kids, please, go back and play in the safety of your sand box, obviously you are not adult enough to face the facts of the really world, every country has a sex trade.....oh and in case you kids missed it, this op is not about the sex industry...start your own thread.

Even sex tourists may wish to hire a sunbed, or sit on the sand. They are people too, you know? cheesy.gif

Edited by NamKangMan

You take the piss out of the "sex tourists" but many of them do spend up big on their 10 nights of debauchery here, and let's not forget, it was the original sex tourist (American soliders - Vietnam War) that kicked off tourism in Thailand, which caused it to expand, rapidly, over decades.

But they're still sex tourists. Selling a nation's daughters to increase GDP is not what I call quality tourism. No matter how much sweaty money they leave behind.

There is nothing wrong with sex tourists and prostitution as long as no one is getting hurt. It is giving the chance of a GF experience to those who cannot find a relationship in their own country, for various reasons, their physical appearance, lack of personality etc, etc.

No one has the right to tell anyone what they can or cannot do with their own body.

• Like 2

'return of the chairs' did i miss 'the chairs strike back'?

No Steve, it was "Ewoks love Sunbeds".

P.S. and reason for edit: you goofballs turning the thread into an argument on sex tourism need to stop drinking booze so early in the morning.

Edited by grumpyoldman
  • Like 1

Thousands and thousands of people in the picture, that's who.

In fairness, that was a surfing competition. And next week, they'll have a beach volleyball competition. And then they'll have thunder boat racing. And some weeks- the nice, clean (middle of the city, BTW) beaches are just packed anyway- no chairs required.

They don't just toss out the chairs, get the bar girls strutting, and wait for tourists to fill their coffers. They work at it. Building a world class tourist market takes more than cheap food, low budget rooms, flashy ads, ridiculous slogans, and so many chairs that people can't actually get to the beach.

In fact, they'd have to run about 90% of those people (and their $$$) from the picture if they even tried to fit lounge chairs for the rest. And that's probably a good metaphor for what happens in Thailand.

Edited by impulse

To be reasonable that's obviously a crowd watching a surf sporting event of some kind.

Note the lack of swimmers immediately in front.

OOPs someone beat me to it!rolleyes.gif

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

NamKangMan, on 08 Nov 2014 - 11:40, said:NamKangMan, on 08 Nov 2014 - 11:40, said:
MediaWatcher, on 08 Nov 2014 - 11:22, said:MediaWatcher, on 08 Nov 2014 - 11:22, said:
NamKangMan, on 08 Nov 2014 - 11:14, said:NamKangMan, on 08 Nov 2014 - 11:14, said:NamKangMan, on 08 Nov 2014 - 11:14, said:
impulse, on 08 Nov 2014 - 10:47, said:impulse, on 08 Nov 2014 - 10:47, said:impulse, on 08 Nov 2014 - 10:47, said:

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand. Anyone visiting Thailand for an illegal purpose is, by definition, a criminal. (Edit: BTW, I'm not against prostitution. I'm just not in favor of offshoring the jobs)

The thread is about beach chairs, and whether they're going back in, and whether that's good for tourism (and I'll add, long term and short term "good")

And my contention is that as long as Thailand panders to mass tourism, of a largely sex and debauchery oriented nature, they'll be fighting the same issues continuously. But I'd ask, with not a single beach chair or bar girl in sight, which location do you think makes more money on their tourists, this one or the one with all the beach chairs?

There can be so much more to beach tourism... But someone has to admit that something needs to change.

"Prostitution is illegal in Thailand." - yes, it is.

"Anyone visiting Thailand for an illegal purpose is, by definition, a criminal." - no, they are not. They have to attempt to commit a crime, or actually commit a crime, and then be found guilty by a Court. After this, they can be called a criminal.

I take your point that Thailand could end sex tourism, and promote beach tourism, BUT, consider the loss of money from sex tourists, and the financial harship on Thai families in Issan, and I can't see it happening in my lifetime, considering its been happening for decades now, with no desire to stop it.

Kids, please, go back and play in the safety of your sand box, obviously you are not adult enough to face the facts of the really world, every country has a sex trade.....oh and in case you kids missed it, this op is not about the sex industry...start your own thread.

Even sex tourists may wish to hire a sunbed, or sit on the sand. They are people too, you know? cheesy.gif

Oh dear, that is the silliest reply, but then again you missed what the op is about... please go back and read it, because now you are looking even more childish.

• Like 1

Old Croc, on 08 Nov 2014 - 12:29, said:Old Croc, on 08 Nov 2014 - 12:29, said:
LivinginKata, on 08 Nov 2014 - 10:58, said:LivinginKata, on 08 Nov 2014 - 10:58, said:

To be reasonable that's obviously a crowd watching a surf sporting event of some kind.

OOPs someone beat me to it!rolleyes.gif

Check out this beach, http://news.china.com.au/2014/03/%E5%A6%82%E6%9E%9C%E4%BD%A0%E4%B9%9F%E8%BF%99%E6%A0%B7%EF%BC%8C-%E4%BD%A0%E5%B0%B1%E6%98%AF%E5%9C%B0%E9%81%93%E7%9A%84%E6%BE%B3%E6%B4%B2%E4%BA%BA%E4%BA%86/,.... world famous Bondi Beach Australia, complete with swimmers.... those who say you MUST have chair and umbrella, I suggest you look very close at what is NOT there, except a few umbrellas that people have brought themselves. If us Aussies can do it, I am sure the rest can. Oh, Bondi beach is frequented by 1000's of foreign tourists every year, and NONE complain, I guess Phuket seems to attract the whingers.

Edited by MediaWatcher
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Old Croc, on 08 Nov 2014 - 12:29, said:Old Croc, on 08 Nov 2014 - 12:29, said:
LivinginKata, on 08 Nov 2014 - 10:58, said:LivinginKata, on 08 Nov 2014 - 10:58, said:

OOPs someone beat me to it! alt=rolleyes.gif>

Check out this beach, http://news.china.com.au/2014/03/%E5%A6%82%E6%9E%9C%E4%BD%A0%E4%B9%9F%E8%BF%99%E6%A0%B7%EF%BC%8C-%E4%BD%A0%E5%B0%B1%E6%98%AF%E5%9C%B0%E9%81%93%E7%9A%84%E6%BE%B3%E6%B4%B2%E4%BA%BA%E4%BA%86/,.... world famous Bondi Beach Australia, complete with swimmers.... those who say you MUST have chair and umbrella, I suggest you look very close at what is NOT there, except a few umbrellas that people have brought themselves. If us Aussies can do it, I am sure the rest can. Oh, Bondi beach is frequented by 1000's of foreign tourists every year, and NONE complain, I guess Phuket seems to attract the whingers.

Have the toast in the toaster and the vegimite ready to go after seeing that pic...mmmm

Heard the rumour too with the 12th of November date explicitly mentioned. Moreover I was told that in Patong there will be strict new regulations that allow at certain appointed spots a maximum of two rows of sun beds. Let's see. Especially the elderly will welcome this move as in theory they can lie on the sand but it will be impossible for them to get up again.

You take the piss out of the "sex tourists" but many of them do spend up big on their 10 nights of debauchery here, and let's not forget, it was the original sex tourist (American soliders - Vietnam War) that kicked off tourism in Thailand, which caused it to expand, rapidly, over decades.

But they're still sex tourists. Selling a nation's daughters to increase GDP is not what I call quality tourism. No matter how much sweaty money they leave behind.

So what do the "nation's daughters" do without the sex tourists' "sweaty money"? Hump cement on building sites? Work on shrimp boats?? Maybe just starve. Better than being a bar girl eh?

there will be no chairs on the beach this high season

Well it could be the last high season then.

Too hot to sit on the sand with no shade and who would want to go back for 10 days of useless trinket shopping that you can buy cheaper in Bali

with better scenery.

Bali has very few chairs and umbrellas along the beach - that's one of the things that makes it a better destination than Phuket or Koh Samui

Edited by KED

I'm Ok with it if it's regulated and the money goes into improving the place. Not enriching a select few.

For a moment there I thought you were talking about governments, banking and corporations generally back in Farang Utopia. Capitalism, eh? For a select few.

• Like 1

grumpyoldman, on 08 Nov 2014 - 13:31, said:
Roel, on 08 Nov 2014 - 13:22, said:

Heard the rumour too with the 12th of November date explicitly mentioned. Moreover I was told that in Patong there will be strict new regulations that allow at certain appointed spots a maximum of two rows of sun beds. Let's see. Especially the elderly will welcome this move as in theory they can lie on the sand but it will be impossible for them to get up again.

Have had conversations with multiple people in Patong regarding this, foreign business owners as well as Thais. Everyone seems o.k. with a well regulated system where there will be beach chair areas well as open space.

A certain amount of tourists want a sunbed and umbrella. Want and will pay for someone to bring them drinks. I don't see any problem as long as it's permitted with money going to the local government for trash collection and other services instead enriching corrupt politicians.

Ed, from Phuket Wan, would disagree, with any return of chairs and umbrellas, but then he does disagree with many people, especially those whose opinions differ from his. I can only repeat what I have heard along Patong beach, chatting with "lifeguards" and those horror of horrors, the jetski operators, they say, chairs back soon.

Bar girls also implement Thai Business 101 - "money go down - put price up." smile.png

Please do correct me if I misunderstand the implication behind your post in that any addition to these quality tourists and their crass beer swilling whore mongering ways have been Phuket's saviour and are to be lauded? Are you freaking kidding me?

The 'elderly' should not be allowed on the beach. They're wrinkly, saggy and unpleasant to look at in bathing suits. That goes for pot bellied men in thongs together with flabby females spilling over their bikinis.

Bar girls also implement Thai Business 101 - "money go down - put price up." smile.png

Please do correct me if I misunderstand the implication behind your post in that any addition to these quality tourists and their crass beer swilling whore mongering ways have been Phuket's saviour and are to be lauded? Are you freaking kidding me?

I think that is exactly what he is saying. Take out the booze and sex what is left?? A few grumpy old expats. I don't think he is "freaking" kidding you or anyone else. Open your eyes old son.

The 'elderly' should not be allowed on the beach. They're wrinkly, saggy and unpleasant to look at in bathing suits. That goes for pot bellied men in thongs together with flabby females spilling over their bikinis.

So, pray tell,

what do you find attractive?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

high season is going to be seen more n more as a December 20th to January 10 kinda thing with a flare up around sonkran, but sonkran doesn't mark the end of high season like it used to be. low season is what it is, but November is 'medium season' as is feb n march n yep april also, high season in Thailand is lucky to get two great months in 2014.

good luck to Thailand this year in the tourism sector, esp Phuket, double average inflation rate, price hikes and currency exchange still with many western countries down 25 percent to the baht, murder, rape's, 3k bar girls, visa nonsense.. and lets keep it real if it doesn't end up a bumper year its probally the lack of chairs fault

I don't think you have any ideas about Phuket's tourism seasons. You're right about November but the whole of January and February are very much peak season, often with more tourists than Christmas.

I wish they would come back, sick and tired of bringing my own staff. As they allow to do the crappy jet skies continuing with their rip offs, chairs and parasols wouldn't do any harm.

So, what do your staff do? Hold an umbrella over you, get your drinks and fan you down? biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Also just seen this in the Phuket News

Discussions focused on the Rawai, Naiharn, Kata and Karon areas, where masseurs, beach chair operators and vendors were predominantly affected by the loss of trade with tourists.

V/Gov Jamroen stressed the importance of those seeking work to get themselves properly registered with the authorities, noting that 259 masseurs had already done so and were now gainfully employed at hotels which had cooperated with the municipality and took them on as hotel staff.

Up to 80 people will be allowed to work in designated areas at each of the beaches but those workers must be local residents, it was revealed.

Beach chairs will not be allowed back on the beaches, it was concluded.

The arrangement for Surin Beach is yet to be concluded while the legal implications of Nor Sor Lor land in the area are being discussed.

However, Cherng Talay Mayor, Ma Ann Samran, said there was no need to allow the chairs back on the beach as ‘no one was affected by the policy’.

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/jobless-phuket-beach-vendors-urged-to-register-49547.php?news-alert=1#sthash.bQ7MO1xj.dpuf

Edited by madmitch
  • Like 1

And what's up with so many of the old birds going topless? ohmy.png Yes, please keep the chairs off the beach. Its worth it even if it stops just one of the old birds from coming and baring her wares.

jpeg, on 08 Nov 2014 - 14:20, said:
Roel, on 08 Nov 2014 - 13:22, said:

Another kid going way off topic...it's a pity some "elderly" folk gave birth to such arrogant kids.

• Like 1

So, pray tell,

what do you find attractive?

5d8dc7e0230df200.png

high season is going to be seen more n more as a December 20th to January 10 kinda thing with a flare up around sonkran, but sonkran doesn't mark the end of high season like it used to be. low season is what it is, but November is 'medium season' as is feb n march n yep april also, high season in Thailand is lucky to get two great months in 2014.

good luck to Thailand this year in the tourism sector, esp Phuket, double average inflation rate, price hikes and currency exchange still with many western countries down 25 percent to the baht, murder, rape's, 3k bar girls, visa nonsense.. and lets keep it real if it doesn't end up a bumper year its probally the lack of chairs fault

I don't think you have any ideas about Phuket's tourism seasons. You're right about November but the whole of January and February are very much peak season, often with more tourists than Christmas.

I wish they would come back, sick and tired of bringing my own staff. As they allow to do the crappy jet skies continuing with their rip offs, chairs and parasols wouldn't do any harm.

So, what do your staff do? Hold an umbrella over you, get your drinks and fan you down? biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Also just seen this in the Phuket News

Discussions focused on the Rawai, Naiharn, Kata and Karon areas, where masseurs, beach chair operators and vendors were predominantly affected by the loss of trade with tourists.

V/Gov Jamroen stressed the importance of those seeking work to get themselves properly registered with the authorities, noting that 259 masseurs had already done so and were now gainfully employed at hotels which had cooperated with the municipality and took them on as hotel staff.

Up to 80 people will be allowed to work in designated areas at each of the beaches but those workers must be local residents, it was revealed.

Beach chairs will not be allowed back on the beaches, it was concluded.

The arrangement for Surin Beach is yet to be concluded while the legal implications of Nor Sor Lor land in the area are being discussed.

However, Cherng Talay Mayor, Ma Ann Samran, said there was no need to allow the chairs back on the beach as ‘no one was affected by the policy’.

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/jobless-phuket-beach-vendors-urged-to-register-49547.php?news-alert=1#sthash.bQ7MO1xj.dpuf

Ahh beach chairs>

but on surin beach they have taken the mats that were on top of the chairs an placed them on the beach for rent. /with the small tables next to them. same same but different??

One can clearly see people have gathered to watch something out at sea. What they are all looking at is off the frame of this photo which gives the impression of a very crowded beach for no apparent reason to the casual observer.

I don't mind the chairs and am happy to pay the 100 B for the day what is wrong however is if people do not have a choice. Those vendors don't own the beach its public property and if people want to lie on their towel that's their prerogative.

• Like 1

Pehaps all this 'buzz' is because of this report --> http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/774961-jobless-phuket-beach-vendors-urged-to-register/

But please note

"Up to 80 people will be allowed to work in designated areas at each of the beaches but those workers must be local residents, it was revealed.

Beach chairs will not be allowed back on the beaches, it was concluded."

Well, the Russians, Chinese, Arabs and Indians aren't the "saviours of Phuket" - so, who is then?

You are kidding yourself if you think sex doesn't sell in Thailand.

If the beach chairs will emerge during this high season it's a big lose of face for the army who cleared the beaches in the name of the public good.

I don't think they would allow that to happen.

Bigger than the vans parking at Victory Monument again?

Bigger than lottery ticket prices HIGHER than when the army declared it was going to control and lower the price and get rid of the "five tigers", now laughing and still in full control?

Bigger than the NBTC refusing army orders to stay out of efforts to control content of programmes - and now the NBTC has "ordered" the army's TV station, Channel 5, to alter its programming.

Bigger than the return of all motorcycle taxi mafia in Bangkok?

Bigger than those losses of face? And now the army has been forced to admit it has *secretly* summoned troublesome elements for yet another good talking-to because the first one apparently didn't work so well. The press forced The General to admit that yesterday. But the chairs would be a big loss of face, and that isn't so big?

Okay, then, if you say so.