Phuket Immigration upgrades services, cuts waiting times

Lite Beer

Phuket Immigration upgrades services, cuts waiting times

Nattha Thepbamrung

1415436293_1-org.jpg

Phuket Immigration Superintendent, Pol Col Sunchai Chokkajaykij in less chaotic surroundings since splitting visa services.

PHUKET: Services at the Phuket Immigration office have been streamlined and expanded to cut waiting times during the high season.

A new section has been opened at the previously empty lower floor of the two-story offices, specifically to handle procedures for short-term visitors, such as re-entry stamps, 90-day reporting and submitting accommodation references.

Foreigners on long-term visits are now processed separately on the upper floor.

Dividing the short- and long-term visitors has dramatically reduced the ‘chaos’ of immigration visits, said Phuket Immigration Superintendent, Pol Col Sunchai Chokkajaykij.

“It’s not so bad during the low season, when we only deal with about 100 people a day, but we have had to deal with up to 500 a day since the start of this high season.

Procedures for short-term visitors usually only take 10 to 15 minutes, while one-year visa applications, for example, can take up to 30 minutes, said Col Sunchai.

It’s not fair that people here just to get a quick stamp are held up by others sorting out long-term issues. The change makes the process quicker for everyone, he said.

Two more volunteers have been brought in as well as more admin staff to speed up the paperwork.

“I will see at the end of the month if manpower needs to be increased,” said the Superintendent

Asked about a ‘maximum 30 tickets per day’ notice on the desk manned by volunteers, the superintendent insisted that was never policy of the office and immediately had the sign removed.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-upgrades-services-cuts-waiting-times-49548.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-08

That's funny because that <removed> in the glasses behind him has taken more money from me than any of them. He's famous for the 300-500 baht certificate of residency with no receipt of course......

Both of them are wearing glasses. Which one are you referring to?

That's funny because that <removed> in the glasses behind him has taken more money from me than any of them. He's famous for the 300-500 baht certificate of residency with no receipt of course......

Both of them are wearing glasses. Which one are you referring to?

I thought the worst one was the guy in the glasses who isn't in the picture!

Last time I went there was for a Certificate of Residence, for a licence, it was an overweight guy at the front, and to the left, that was wearing a lot of gold, and no glasses, who took my 300 baht.

When I say "a lot of gold" - I mean A LOT.

He pulled a huge wad of money from his pocket to give me change. I can only imagine how much illegal money he would have taken, by the end of the shift.

It’s not fair that people here just to get a quick stamp are held up by others sorting out long-term issues

Neither is it 'fair' that we get stuck waiting for TWO out of the four long term officers' time be taken up by agents with piles of visas to process. I had to spend the entire day there a few weeks back. I'll be shelling out to an agent next time whatever the cost. S0d that angry.png

• Like 1

Glasses or none , I have yet to have any staff there tell me I dont need to pay 300 baht for a Certificate of Residency.

One Monday I had to do my 90 day report for my Retirement Visa ...you know , to prove where I lived.... I did it at Patong and was surprised to learn I had to pay 100 baht for the priviledge.

The next day I bought a scooter , and the following day I had to 'prove' where I live again , this time with a Certificate of Residency at 300 baht in Phuket Town , to register the bike in my name.

A couple of weeks later I went to apply for a Thai Motorbike License , I was told I needed yet another Certificate Of Residency as the last one had "expired''. So I did that , again at 300 baht , and returned to the Licensing Office the next day as I was made too late to complete the license test earlier....

It was then I was told I needed to go somewhere and get a Drs Certificate ...

• Like 2

Expect that to increase with "upgraded service"

Last time I went there was for a Certificate of Residence, for a licence, it was an overweight guy at the front, and to the left, that was wearing a lot of gold, and no glasses, who took my 300 baht.

When he asked me for 300 Baht, I asked for a receipt. Neither one of us got want he wanted. wink.png But I got my Proof of Residence.

• Like 1

Yes that guy is funny. One time he asked for 750 THB for a "proof of address". When I presented a 1000 THB note he asked if I didn't have anything smaller..

When the change came back I got 700 THB back. I assume since he didn't have enough change on him...

What makes me laugh is you're all getting your panties in a twist over something we all know to be corrupt yet has been in place for years. Moaning on here won't change anything so if you're not happy move somewhere else....I did!! That being said some of you moaning minnies will always find something in Phuket that irks you but you continue to stay here. I think you actually enjoy your daily moan on here, same old names everyday....get out and find something positive to chirp about, you'll feel so much better ;)

Edited by Rickster
  • Like 2

What is the price for a proof of residency letter?

No official charge = free.

In Bangkok it takes 10 working days to turn round. They take 100 Baht for the return EMS postage for delivery to your home. Why is no one reporting this bribe.I thought the general was trying to stamp out corruption?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In Bangkok it takes 10 working days to turn round. They take 100 Baht for the return EMS postage for delivery to your home. Why is no one reporting this bribe.I thought the general was trying to stamp out corruption?

Pity it hasn't got to the Bangkok headquarters. I spent two days there after a visa and the people there were rude and officious. No bribe required though, just wait, wait and wait

If you are talking about the guy on the right I have to say that I normally head to him to do my 90 day stamp and a couple of times for proof of residency. I always have a little chat with him and have found him to be very pleasant. He's never tried to hit me for money, even when he legitimately could have for reporting late etc. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but personally I think he's one of the good guys.

SDM

Just be happy you can pay for it.. in Nonthaburi they just don't give it not even paid for and you have to go to the embassy for it. I know what i prefer.

Yup, same for me.

300 bahts for a proof of residence...

Is that the regular fee???

Edit... last week it was...

Edited by Andre0720

You would consider that all Immigration offices in Thailand would be under some sort of central control re pricing for services......nothing could be further from the truth.

In Chiang Mai a residence letter cost 500 baht for same day pick up but if you are able to wait 10-15 days its free.

Rampant corruption and no shame.

In CM now with the escalation of foreigners living here inc increasing numbers of Chinese ,Koreans and Japanese if you are requiring an extension you have to be at the Imm office at 5 am

to receive a number and then another number at opening time 8.30 am. People are actually sleeping in their cars in the limited parking area.

CM Imm office is a total zoo and we inmates have no idea when a new office and a doubling of staff. will happen.

The pathetic excuse is that they don't have the funds !

• Like 1

Thank goodness I have to report to Chonburi (Jomtien) Immigration. A new boss came in about 2 years ago and promised to improve service and the 'smile factor'. To his credit I think the office is now a much more efficient operation and the staff are usually very helpful. I know the Residency Certificate should be free of charge, but I'd rather pay 300bht 'tea money' than go through the hassle of an agent or even worse having to trek into the British Gin Palace in Bangkok.

I can't decide whom I like more:

1. the head of the Phuket Immigration Office pictured in the OP photo, who seems to think everything there is peachy and no sign, of course.

or

2. the head of the Phuket Airport Immigration office who insists there's no 100 baht fee for fast track through Immigration via the "Ebola" line, even though numerous posters here report having been offered exactly that.

whistling.gif

Sorry, its the guy on the right I guess...closest to the camera. He has lots of gold and huge earlobes. I always hated going to him, but somehow I ended up with him many times. Each time.....look around, look up, look down, look around...."500 baht". Can I have a receipt? "No receipt. No 500 baht, no certificate." I thought they were free. "No they 500 baht". Last time it was 300 baht. "Ok, this time I do 300 for you".

• Like 1

I misread the OP, and was thinking about International arrivals at Phuket airport, maybe some extra help over there may help with the ques for entrance into LOS (hang on that will remove the need for 'Express' immigration) Came through last night off an Etihad flight, the hall was full as we came down the escalator, I reckon was about two flights in before ours, anyway the ques was about 30 mins each, a blue plastic screen seperated the first three positions from rest of the hall, Immigration officers doing the lines checking peeps had filled out their TM whatever cards and oh Mr can use express immigration 100Bhat, I will now get flamed as I thought ball$ to it and went around the screen where his mate with a bum bag full of cash was waiting then straight through... You gotta love LOS ehh?

Edited by Lokie