New beach walkway is indeed a disaster!

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking into account the "track record" of this project, I wonder what the traffic "1-Way System" in Jomtien starting 12th will be like. The mind boggles crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

I'd think a 'one way' street is the first thing you'd need in order to redesign the street for an added 3rd lane. Won't be long before part of that promenade is reworked to make the one way faster, bigger, better, etc...

Possibly some of you slow old crocks who obviously should not be let out in Pattaya (anywhere) without a Zimmer frame and a blind dog (in which case you will find that normally people will go out of the way to let you cross Beach Road; even SUVer’s) could spare a thought for the absolutely torrential rain (far outside predicted volumes) that has been suffered in Pattaya (and throughout Thailand) which makes ongoing construction impossible and soon washes away sandbags.

I think the new walkways are an improvement and will look ok when finished. Not to say perfect.

If you have not been to Pattaya since 1993 you might think it is an improvement. If not, nobody will miss you anyway.

There is a lot wrong with Pattaya roads - like the rest of Thailand, but it isn’t a small German town where everybody waits in the snow for the pedestrian lights to change green at midnight with one car per hour, you need to stop staring into your beer cans and look for oncoming traffic.

Anyway, Pattaya needs to spend more on road drainage for all the poor souls who live on the other side of Sukhumvit instead of poxing about with Beach road where nobody lives.

Ayyyyyyy ya.

Another reason for me to continue avoiding Pattaya as I have since 1993. It was nice in the early 80s, though, a low-rise town for low-income low-lifes, loved it.

You haven't been since 1993 so you obviously have NO IDEA what you're talking about.cheesy.gif

It has now become the hub of hiso Jewish weddings!

At the Hilton!

That's a highrise.coffee1.gif

You need to visit your doctor for a logic check-up.

The issue here regarding the extra lane, as stated in the OP, is that it is more difficult to cross Beach rd.for pedestrians with the increased traffic (whether they own a vehicle or not)

The solution , as I have stated ad nauseam, are pedestrian overpasses. My above post does not apply to safe drivers.

Yes, pedestrian overpasses would be a good idea but, do you think they could be build with safety of construction in mind? A pretty poor construction record in some of Thailand.

And would people use them or just continue to walk across the road as they do now? whistling.gif Hoping to be seen by "careful" SUV driver? cheesy.gif Is that an oxymoron?

"Once a fishing town, Pattaya first boomed as an R&R destination during the Vietnam War and developed into a family-oriented[citation needed]..."

Hey, all of you family types that live in Pattaya should go to Wiki and add citations for all those QUALITY Hi-so FAMILY activities that you enjoy there...???

• Like 1

I have never seen a successful project planned/executed by Pattaya authorities.

Flooded sois, broken missing walking pavement, lighting on Beach pore, no seating, expensive non working/dangerous traffic lights. The administration cannot point to even one proper job in the entire city but strangely none of the big businesses have pointed their finger at or criticized their NON action .

the road widening was done to accomodate the tour buses which have destroyed this and other citys...if you dont live near the beach it wont bother you,but if you do,then you know they have taken over,they are parked every where staged and waiting to load and unlload,also they are the ''drivers homes',so they are parked and the drivers laundry is hanging out the windows and they cook and bath in them'.the drivers are such idiots they think the far right lane is a ''fast lane''..so drive at 90-100kms, flashing thier lights and blowing thier horns at slower traffic,to''GANG WAY,THE BIG BUS IS COMING THROUGH''to them, a road is a road is a road,dont matter if its sukumvit or beach rd..,goota get the chinese to the all you can eat buffet on time...it makes me sick to see how thailand has sold out that beach and road,i always hoped they would close it off to traffic and make it a market and bike path.hahaha...these drivers need to be educated and learn some ''in town driving manners''....sawadee no crap

Those who have lived here a while will know that any form of construction here is pretty poor, and roads and footpaths are the worst, they do not have a clue how to do it properly, compaction of fill is unheard of and correct fill is never used. and most of the cash goes in brown envelopes to corrupt officials.

Let's hope that now "brown envelopes" are said to be history..........all manner of things will improve........for the betterment of all people....

In your dreams Sir
I dream. Others have nightmares. I prefer the good dreams.

Are you certain it was not designed to look this way?

It sounds exactly like every other project in Thailand--it might very well be by design.

I read you hawe meny problems, whay you dont wolk at Jomten beach, eweything take time in Thailand end ather country too.

Past too Cmbodja end try.

the road widening was done to accomodate the tour buses which have destroyed this and other citys...if you dont live near the beach it wont bother you,but if you do,then you know they have taken over,they are parked every where staged and waiting to load and unlload,also they are the ''drivers homes',so they are parked and the drivers laundry is hanging out the windows and they cook and bath in them'.the drivers are such idiots they think the far right lane is a ''fast lane''..so drive at 90-100kms, flashing thier lights and blowing thier horns at slower traffic,to''GANG WAY,THE BIG BUS IS COMING THROUGH''to them, a road is a road is a road,dont matter if its sukumvit or beach rd..,goota get the chinese to the all you can eat buffet on time...it makes me sick to see how thailand has sold out that beach and road,i always hoped they would close it off to traffic and make it a market and bike path.hahaha...these drivers need to be educated and learn some ''in town driving manners''....sawadee no crap

90-100kmph in the outside lane????

That's done it ....I am getting rid of my SUV and buying a tour busbiggrin.png ................only joking ..... what's the point of driving that fast along the seafront..

Seriously though.....I have to agree with you these guys are a "law unto themselves" wherever they are......especially it seems the O*T mob wai.gif

Those who have lived here a while will know that any form of construction here is pretty poor, and roads and footpaths are the worst, they do not have a clue how to do it properly, compaction of fill is unheard of and correct fill is never used. and most of the cash goes in brown envelopes to corrupt officials.

That's the whole problem with any government project. Half the budget goes as "donations" leaving insufficient money to build to a suitable quality, so only half a job gets done

Why have a "go" at SUV owners.......????

What has that got to do with the condition of the Promenade ........????

just askingwai.gif

Because most of them are reckless jerks - Both Thai and foreigner. And the extra lane just gives them more freedom to continue being just that, reckless jerks.

May as well throw in all the minivan drivers too. The promenade is only one year old and already a shambles.

Also the "on ramps" just invite the local lowlifes to drive motorbikes on the promenade..

The only benefit is for the big touring companies (who have taken over control of Pattaya City ) with the extra lane that is included in overall project.

OK ....

So why not ask the council to designate the "extra" lane for pedestrians.....and leave the dangerous "Prom" for SUV drivers.....most of whom have 4WD and can deal with uneven ground

I'll think about changing my "Thumb-print" to.........."Reckless DD13"..............even though I try to be a careful driver

NB.

Don't forget that SUV owners sit considerably higher than car drivers, which gives us a better chance of seeing what is ahead of us, and a chance to avoid hitting pedestrians

Ah so nice of you to have a chance to avoid hitting walkers, so I guess it is pretty much hit and miss with you eh mate. Some you hit and some you miss but at least I have a chance since I am walking. Thanks!

when a city official gets their uncle Sangsom to do the job - what do you expect

Unfortunately Thailand lacks the skills education and training to do pretty much anything except grow rice, yes they build Toyota in factories but that is like painting by numbers and are taught how to do it by Foreigners

Road construction - beach fronts etc never last because they lack the skill to do it right and do not want to be shown by foreigners how to do it right, not to mention that half the budget probably ends up in some ones pocket

Look at the state 2nd road got into, it ended up like an obstacle course with bumps and subsidence - now all they have done is put a surface on top to smooth it a bit until it all sinks again, if they put the correct foundation in then all it would need is a quick surface every few years

rant over

• Like 1

The new Promenade blows it has from day one...The old Promenade was like a park..

They traded a park for a parking lot like walkway......

It wasn't built to improve things.

The Beach Rd was widened so that more market stalls could be crammed in during festivals.

Obviously the traffic still has to turn into an 'unwidened' road blocked with parked vehicles at Pattaya Tai, a corner the large coaches struggle with. I bet it will be fun this high season.

Well said, did anyone see them filling the holes around Immigration Soi 5 a few weeks back. It was still raining, they dumped hot mix into the holes, walked over it a few times, took down the barriers and the motorists promptly started to cart it up the hill.

Followed that evening by a downpour, good by filling, hello Grand Canyon again??? So right, they do not have a clue, but try telling them! TIT

I think the new walkways are an improvement and will look ok when finished. Not to say perfect.

Although the walkway looks unfinished ,it was finished a year ago ! Thats the problem.

Take for example that disaster zone between the South end of beach walkway and Walking st.: Concrete barriers , huge truck/pump.

Then a shabby gauntlet walk between motor taxis and traffic. Regarding the drainage at beach: the problem they have is that the drain pipes are below sea level,

hence the need for pumps. Again the need for a qualified foreign civil engineer for the drainage problem .

Then there is that collapsed area in front of Soi 9 police station, and counting.

Edited by morrobay

Why have a "go" at SUV owners.......????

What has that got to do with the condition of the Promenade ........????

just askingwai.gif

Because most of them are reckless jerks - Both Thai and foreigner. And the extra lane just gives them more freedom to continue being just that, reckless jerks.

May as well throw in all the minivan drivers too. The promenade is only one year old and already a shambles.

Also the "on ramps" just invite the local lowlifes to drive motorbikes on the promenade..

The only benefit is for the big touring companies (who have taken over control of Pattaya City ) with the extra lane that is included in overall project.

OK ....

So why not ask the council to designate the "extra" lane for pedestrians.....and leave the dangerous "Prom" for SUV drivers.....most of whom have 4WD and can deal with uneven ground

I'll think about changing my "Thumb-print" to.........."Reckless DD13"..............even though I try to be a careful driver

NB.

Don't forget that SUV owners sit considerably higher than car drivers, which gives us a better chance of seeing what is ahead of us, and a chance to avoid hitting pedestrians

Ah so nice of you to have a chance to avoid hitting walkers, so I guess it is pretty much hit and miss with you eh mate. Some you hit and some you miss but at least I have a chance since I am walking. Thanks!

Unbelievable as it may seem...............even "we" SUV drivers have to walk on occasions...........but I don't make a "big thing" about it.....

If I happen to trip on a dodgy pavement.....I content myself with a good old fashioned "swear up".......(not too loud though) biggrin.png

Regarding pumps on the beach walkway:

Anybody who knows a little bit about pumps is shocked by the use of centrifugal units for this purpous.

I counted seven of them yesterday... But what did they have in mind to install these there??

They deliver fifteen bars of pressure, but only 560 cbm of flow per hour. With these units you can fill up the pool on top of the Hilton ok, but they are next to useless for getting large volumes of water out of the drains where you need less than one bar pressure!

What you need is VOLUME, not pressure there on beach road!! Every rice farmer knows this very well in Thailand. Upcountry they move the largest amounts of water from the irrigation canals into the fields,with only centimeters of gradient. And if they have to pump, they use the right equipment . . VOLUME pumps, low pressure, low power.

It would be against forum rules if I would write my honest poinion about this mess. TIT.

It is FUBAR, but at least we no longer have to put up with this:

attachicon.gifpattaya-beach-walk.jpg

Just look at it! Trees, shade, plants....hideous! smile.png

Check it out, MiKT, ( post #35.) Improvement ??. What was before or this mess of a walkway/road ?.

I dare say the folks who are responsible for this disaster are probably lucky if they can tie their shoes every morning.

Regarding maintenance: There has been no attempt in almost a year to repair the broken/collapsed area in front of Holiday Inn ?

As well as other unstable areas like steps in front of Soi 6

Edited by morrobay

I am a retired house builder/ developer from UK, I have many comments on the build quality that is used here, but they really are to numerous to mention. I would however like to point out a simple lesson that the Thais could learn, that is to be able to tell the difference between a mortar mix, and a concrete mix. Typically a concrete mix is refereed to as 3-2-1, that is to say, 3 of aggregate, 2 of sand, and one of cement. A mortar mix is anything from 3 of sand to 1 one of cement, or more sand ratio depending on the application.

Concrete is the material that should be used for all road work infrastructure, including roadside kerbs, slopes etc, as it is much stronger than mortar, Mortar is usually used for floor screeds and wall rendering, they also use far too much water whilst mixing, the more water the weaker the mix. I see this all the time when walking the pavements, they always use a mortar mix, it cracks up after a very short time, they should just use concrete.

So that brings me back to the beach road problem, did they use concrete ? or did they use mortar?

I am a retired house builder/ developer from UK, I have many comments on the build quality that is used here, but they really are to numerous to mention. I would however like to point out a simple lesson that the Thais could learn, that is to be able to tell the difference between a mortar mix, and a concrete mix. Typically a concrete mix is refereed to as 3-2-1, that is to say, 3 of aggregate, 2 of sand, and one of cement. A mortar mix is anything from 3 of sand to 1 one of cement, or more sand ratio depending on the application.

Concrete is the material that should be used for all road work infrastructure, including roadside kerbs, slopes etc, as it is much stronger than mortar, Mortar is usually used for floor screeds and wall rendering, they also use far too much water whilst mixing, the more water the weaker the mix. I see this all the time when walking the pavements, they always use a mortar mix, it cracks up after a very short time, they should just use concrete.

So that brings me back to the beach road problem, did they use concrete ? or did they use mortar?

Absolutely right..............but you forgot to deduct the 60% "creamed off the top" ....to further dilute the "mix"

What the Thais need to do is............LISTEN & LEARN.........that's what we in the West had to do when we were young

There is NO "losing face" in education

Regarding pumps on the beach walkway:

Anybody who knows a little bit about pumps is shocked by the use of centrifugal units for this purpous.

I counted seven of them yesterday... But what did they have in mind to install these there??

pretty sure the ones opposite central are to try and stop the water getting higher then the sandbags that protect the basement floor of central from flooding. then again, maybe their purpose really was to force wheel chairs out into the speeding bus lane