why have zebra markings on roads

opalred

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember asking the same question many years ago in France..

of

The answer was it is the best place for pedestrians to see if there are any cars coming and it is safe to cross...

It was NOT "Pedestrians have the right of way" just thought was same here..

​[...]

attachicon.gifbullshit_nagy.jpg
Just found this........... Good read, looks like the Law changed in 2010

http://streetwise-france.com/travel-france-driving.htm

As I said I asked the question many years ago, I lived in France in the 70's

Still BS anyway, especially the part of your post describing the purpose of zebra crossings in France.

And before the latest change of law, pedestrians in France did have the right of way as soon as they were putting one of their feet on the zebra crossings. It was already the case in the 70's, although, I must admit that it was not always respected by certain drivers, especially in some busy streets in Paris or other big cities, but people were much more courteous in other parts of the country.

Nowadays, even in Paris, it's much more respected than in the past (actually, I would say that I have noticed a great improvement since the early 2000's.).

Not too many countries give priority to pedestrians at zebra crossings

Well, certainly not Asian countries, but definitely Europe and the UK, Australia, New Zealand.

In Australia, zebra crossings have a large zig-zag strip painted on the road before each crossing, so drivers have some warning.

US, Canada. Canada seriously so. I worked in Chicago and would take trips to Toronto often and amazed me how well obeyed they were at the crossings. If you just look like you are going to step onto the crossing the cars just stop.

And that is the way it should be,in the UK we have it drilled into us at a young age: "Pedestrians have the right of way" I see nothing wrong in that! shouldn't we be thinking about the old, infirmed ,invalids,who are positively terrified of crossing the road! <deleted> can't we take a little bit of pride,by helping these people? or have we got too callous to care?

What mean "we" Kimosabe?

"We" don't run this country. The Thais do.

I don't run this, or any other country. However, when I drive here, I yield to pedestrians when safe to do so. Sometimes the cars behind me go around and are a danger for those I have yielded to. I take that into consideration as best I (not we) can.

I was well trained in my life about pedestrian crossings, but when I went to live in a small country town in France where nobody takes much notice of one way streets, pedestrian crossings etc I sort of lost the habit. Not very long ago I was in London and wanted to cross a six lane street. I was astonished when all six lanes stopped - to a man - when I stood there. All of a sudden, a man put his head out, and "Listen love, are you going to cross to-day or to-morrow. Just let us know." I ran across that street. I was so embarrassed. The country cousin comes to town.

When I was taking driving lessons (in the UK) in 1967 my instructor asked (in preparation for the test), "When do you give way to a pedestrian?".

I replied, "On a zebra crossing" at which he asked, sarcastically, "So if they are not actually on a crossing you will run them over?"

I guess a Thai would have answered "Yes" to that question.

Reminds me of when my wife had several old university friends come to visit us here in Sydney - Isaan school teachers. Picked them up at the airport and took them round a few Sydney tourist spots on the way home - opera house and bridge, views of the harbour etc.. But what do you think the big topic of conversation was over dinner? Yep, how the Oz drivers stop at pedestrian crossings!!

(I don't think I'll mention the visit to Bondi beach - the Thai school director, the camera, and the underage girls in bikinis.)

Estrada, on 10 Nov 2014 - 11:36, said:

Before crossing at a zebra crossing in Thailand, look left, look right, look left again, look up, look down, look behind. It may be a one way street but in Thailand you can have 6 way traffic on a one way street.

The white lines on the zebra crossing are purely there so that the pools of blood from injured pedestrians can be seen easily at a distance by the rescue services.

General Prayuth recently announced that cars should give way to pedestrians on crossings but I have yet to see any affect.

WRONG, it is obvious you either come from a country where they drive on the "wrong" side of the road, right hand side. In Thailand, as we know, they drive on the "correct" side, left hand side... well, at least they should, this means when crossing the road you look left, then right, then left again, if clear proceed to cross. No wonder some foreigners get injured/killed, they look the WRONG way.

In Japan, if you hit a pedestrian or bicyclist, you are in a world of hurt. A professor was fired from my school because he hit a bicyclist.

Can anyone here with knowledge of the Thai laws tell us what will happen if one gets driven over at a zebra crossing? I guess the fresh Quality Tourists would like to know that before it's too late.

Also i would like to know what happens if i stop for the zebracrossing pedestrians but a Thai behind my drives into me. (even without being on the phone).

Seriously, if you get "driven over" you do not need a "law" to know what will happen...you WILL get hurt..lol

The law, in Thailand, is that vehicles must not hit you, sadly it does not stipulate they must stop and give way, however, as we all know, laws are not enforced, so as time has gone by drivers believe they have right of way.

Well, certainly not Asian countries, but definitely Europe and the UK, Australia, New Zealand.

In Australia, zebra crossings have a large zig-zag strip painted on the road before each crossing, so drivers have some warning.

In the UK they have them too and it means No Parking!

In the UK the zigzag lines mean no parking at any time. The secondary purpose is to let drivers see the kerb and those waiting to cross.

US, Canada. Canada seriously so. I worked in Chicago and would take trips to Toronto often and amazed me how well obeyed they were at the crossings. If you just look like you are going to step onto the crossing the cars just stop.

And that is the way it should be,in the UK we have it drilled into us at a young age: "Pedestrians have the right of way" I see nothing wrong in that! shouldn't we be thinking about the old, infirmed ,invalids,who are positively terrified of crossing the road! <deleted> can't we take a little bit of pride,by helping these people? or have we got too callous to care?

In Thailand, it's motorbikes that have right of way. Pedestrian are regarded about as importantly as soi dogs.

Before crossing at a zebra crossing in Thailand, look left, look right, look left again, look up, look down, look behind. It may be a one way street but in Thailand you can have 6 way traffic on a one way street.

The white lines on the zebra crossing are purely there so that the pools of blood from injured pedestrians can be seen easily at a distance by the rescue services.

General Prayuth recently announced that cars should give way to pedestrians on crossings but I have yet to see any affect.

WRONG, it is obvious you either come from a country where they drive on the "wrong" side of the road, right hand side. In Thailand, as we know, they drive on the "correct" side, left hand side... well, at least they should, this means when crossing the road you look left, then right, then left again, if clear proceed to cross. No wonder some foreigners get injured/killed, they look the WRONG way.

are you sure about that? I prefer to check what's coming down the road on the RIGHT, check the left side, then RIGHT again.wai2.gif

• Like 1

are you sure about that? I prefer to check what's coming down the road on the RIGHT, check the left side, then RIGHT again.wai2.gif

Every way you look is the wrong way, I expect motorbikes to descend from the sky any day soon. I nearly got run over on a (school) crossing today. The cop on duty, who spends most of his time chatting up the girl that opens the doors of the buses that stop ON the crossing, gave me a pitying glance. Stupid farang.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app