Thai Military Draft

zelos

I just became a Thai national last week with a dual nationality (British & Thai) i was told when i got my second nationality (Thai) that i would have to get drafted into the Thai military Service because i'm not over the age of 30 (Currently 26). I'm just wondering when and how i will be notify to turn up for the lottery draw and is there any way to avoid being drafted? my Ta Bien Ban is in Bangkok at my aunt's house, and I'm living in Ayutthaya

If anyone that has experience this or a friend who has, any info or connection would be highly appreciated.

We both will probably have to join. Once you have done Thai documents (house and id) it's game over.

According to my mum, in April a certain amounts of conscripts are taken 500 Bangkok 300 chumphon blah blah and all makes under 30 I think are called back to where their house reg is and have to go to the biggest school for the lottery.

If you get a red card, the sergeant or whatever decided where you will go for training, refusing to join and you go to jail.

The member who is the expert on this is Samran, I would take his advice,

I stand to be corrected, but once you reach 30 they will not bother you, and even under 30, its a draft, you may be eligible to be called up, but it doesn't automatically mean you will be, my understanding is its a lottery, where they draw so many names, if your not drawn you don't go.

You have to be on the recruiting sergeant's list before you can receive such notification.

Honest-to-god true story : The last time I was at the Amphoe on some other business I found out that they had somehow neglected to put my name on the list after all these years and as far as the military are concerned I don't exist. No inducements were required for this 'cock up', it was an act of God. The recruiting sergeant wanted to arrest me there and then but he couldn't arrest someone who wasn't on his registry. I quietly walked away while he was trying to work out what to do.

I'll be 30 soon anyway.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ah right, Yeah I have done all the document and acquired my Thai National ID, So i guess i will Receive some sort of notice in the Mailbox before April or something to notify me where to go?

My understanding is that you have to turn up / you have to register. Waiting for a notice is not the way it works.

In Thailand many things are like this e.g. there is no reminder notice to renew your drivers license or renew the annual road tax for your car, you are responsible to remember when it's due and to ensure you do get renewals.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ah right, Yeah I have done all the document and acquired my Thai National ID, So i guess i will Receive some sort of notice in the Mailbox before April or something to notify me where to go?

My understanding is that you have to turn up / you have to register. Waiting for a notice is not the way it works.

In Thailand many things are like this e.g. there is no reminder notice to renew your drivers license or renew the annual road tax for your car, you are responsible to remember when it's due and to ensure you do get renewals.

Make sure he is out of the country each April, turn up when he turns 30, get a maximum 400 baht fine for reporting late, and get released from duty.

• Like 1

Make sure he is out of the country each April, turn up when he turns 30, get a maximum 400 baht fine for reporting late, and get released from duty.

I flew into Thailand using my British passport and currently still on a Tourist Visa, i can get a 1 year Extension on my Visa and can do this consecutively (Will need my Thai national ID and Tabien Bhan to do so) is this a possible way to avoid bring drafted.

And another thing, currently my Tabien Bhan is in Bangkok, if i register it at another umpur, will i be drafted in the new Tabien Bhan or will it permanently be Bangkok?

Edited by zelos

cant you pay your way out if you get the wrong coloured card? Some of my wife's cousins did that in Korat.

Would be great if i knew the way and the process + price, i Had someone researched into it and apparently it would cost 150,000 Baht =/

cant you pay your way out if you get the wrong coloured card? Some of my wife's cousins did that in Korat.

---------------------

I am not Thai nor am I eligible for the lottery, but a Thai male friend told me once that if you have the money you can arrange to get the wrong ( I mean not to be selected) color card.

Of course, that is illegal, as we all know.

Would be great if i knew the way and the process + price, i Had someone researched into it and apparently it would cost 150,000 Baht =/

That sounds rather high.

I believe that the going rate in Pattaya is in the region of Bt30,000. This was a couple of years back, so the 'happiness' factor may have increased the rate!!

Zelos. Are you a fluent in the Thai language? If not then no worries! They are NOT going to take a conscript that can't understand the orders.

I Am fluent Thai, but i guess i could pretend not to be lol since the last time i was in Thailand was roughly 20 years ago.

Zelos. Are you a fluent in the Thai language? If not then no worries! They are NOT going to take a conscript that can't understand the orders.

I Am fluent Thai, but i guess i could pretend not to be lol since the last time i was in Thailand was roughly 20 years ago.
What about signing up at a university? Being a student will get you off won't it?

You might learn something useful as well (or might not!)

• Like 1

No need to go to those lengths, you just pay 30k baht not to go into the lottery. We did for a nephew and that's it, never called up again. Only the poor and the stupid actually have to get conscripted.

What about signing up at a university? Being a student will get you off won't it?

You might learn something useful as well (or might not!)

Does anybody know if 'attendance' at a foreign university via an online course counts for this?

My stepson went to Thailand in 2005 to get married (age 29), although a long-time UK resident, he only has a Thai passport, never wanted a UK one. He collected his ID card from the Amphurs office, then was told to stand in another line. At the end of the line he picked the wrong colour ball, he managed to convince them to change the colour

My stepson went to Thailand in 2005 to get married (age 29), although a long-time UK resident, he only has a Thai passport, never wanted a UK one. He collected his ID card from the Amphurs office, then was told to stand in another line. At the end of the line he picked the wrong colour ball, he managed to convince them to change the colour

Does he know that he is allowed to have both by the Thai government as well?