Controversial Beach Booms claim life of Russian on Pattaya Beach

webfact

Controversial Beach Booms claim life of Russian on Pattaya Beach

russian-1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- The Beach Booms situated along Pattaya and Jomtien Beaches which are used to define swimming and boating zones to ensure the safety of beachgoers, have claimed another life on Pattaya Beach in the early hours of Tuesday.

Police and medics were called to the beach opposite the entrance to Soi 10, just before 3am. Members of the public were able to pull the lifeless body of the Russian, thought to be aged in his early twenties, from the water, as his distraught Russian friend looked on in horror. Attempts at CPR were made without success.

The 2 Russian men were drinking together earlier in the night and are thought to have been heavily intoxicated. They decided to walk along one of the beach booms but the victim lost his footing and fell into the water.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/154543/controversial-beach-booms-claim-life-of-russian-on-pattaya-beach/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-11-11

Drunk or not, this is a horrible tragedy and I feel for the victim's mate when he does sober up.

I would hesitate to describe it quite so strongly but it certainly will be for his mother.

As for his mate, would be curious to see if this incident is enough to make him change his drinking habits?

There is a solution

Ban all watercraft from beach areas therefore these dangerous killers will not be needed

If people want a speedboat to Koh Larn then use the Bali Hi - there is no need to have them running a ferry service from the beaches - and as for jet skis well we all know what we would do with them

Time for change - the local authorities have been unable to do anything more than talk about it - bring in people that actually do stuff and not just hold meetings

Or just fill the ocean with sand .. or big fences around the ocean all my solutions are as good and equally stupid as yours.

Like an other poster said you can't protect stupid people against themselves. In this case banning booze would have been better as that is the real cause. But we wont do that will we because then all the farangs will cry murder.

You don't like speedboats and such so you use a death to push your agenda. A guy not liking alcohol could do the same. But in reality stupid people will find a way to kill themselves. Swimming drunk is dangerous even without beach booms. So banning alcohol makes even more sense (but again I am not for that then stupid people will find other ways)

your insults have no place on this forum just like a speed boat taxi service has no place on beaches

run along

• Like 1

and although this thread is somewhat about a young man drowning it is also about the other lives claimed by these constructions in the water, they are obviously dangerous and are causing more deaths than that which they are designed to protect against

Edited by smedly

There is a solution

Ban all watercraft from beach areas therefore these dangerous killers will not be needed

If people want a speedboat to Koh Larn then use the Bali Hi - there is no need to have them running a ferry service from the beaches - and as for jet skis well we all know what we would do with them

Time for change - the local authorities have been unable to do anything more than talk about it - bring in people that actually do stuff and not just hold meetings

Or just fill the ocean with sand .. or big fences around the ocean all my solutions are as good and equally stupid as yours.

Like an other poster said you can't protect stupid people against themselves. In this case banning booze would have been better as that is the real cause. But we wont do that will we because then all the farangs will cry murder.

You don't like speedboats and such so you use a death to push your agenda. A guy not liking alcohol could do the same. But in reality stupid people will find a way to kill themselves. Swimming drunk is dangerous even without beach booms. So banning alcohol makes even more sense (but again I am not for that then stupid people will find other ways)

your insults have no place on this forum just like a speed boat taxi service has no place on beaches

run along

Banning alcohol is far more sound then because then you cure drinking and swimming too. Because that is the problem not those beach booms. But I guess you dont like that.

You just use a tragedy to push your agenda while the beach booms would not have been fatal if the guy was not drunk and stupid.

• Like 1

Triangle shaped beach booms can't be walked on. The beach booms are necessary to protect the swimmers, they shouldn't be used as walkway in the sea. But in the right mood you will do stupid things. Very sad for the young fellow, very sad for his family.

RIP

Fatfather

• Like 2

Lifeguards in high watchtowers at the beaches would also help. I have seen those towers at Karon beach but they were unmanned while the beach was full of tourists (quality tourists).

Also i have seen those parasailers at the beach in Phuket and their lines went flat over the beach where people were walking/relaxing and they had to run for them.

This was all 7 years ago because i won't go there again.

Lifeguards in high watchtowers at the beaches would also help. I have seen those towers at Karon beach but they were unmanned while the beach was full of tourists (quality tourists).

Also i have seen those parasailers at the beach in Phuket and their lines went flat over the beach where people were walking/relaxing and they had to run for them.

This was all 7 years ago because i won't go there again.

Have you ever seen watchtowers manned at night ? This guy went drunk onto the beach.

• Like 2

There is a solution

Ban, ban, ban. Please go home or stop complaining. You can't protect stupid people from themselves.

• Like 2

There is a solution

run along

Banning alcohol is far more sound then because then you cure drinking and swimming too. Because that is the problem not those beach booms. But I guess you dont like that.

You just use a tragedy to push your agenda while the beach booms would not have been fatal if the guy was not drunk and stupid.

so everyone that has been killed because of these booms has been drunk - is that what you are trying to say

may I suggest you take yourself off and do a little research before you embarr'ass yourself further

oh and I don't have an agenda - I have an opinion about how to prevent further deaths on the beach

Edited by smedly

so everyone that has been killed because of these booms has been drunk - is that what you are trying to say

may I suggest you take yourself off and do a little research before you embarr'ass yourself further

Please show me where i said that.. its more a case of stupidity then alcohol. But alcohol increases the stupid factor. As others have said you cant protect stupid people from themselves.

There is only one who embarrasses himself by using a tragedy to push for the removal of all boats from the beach.

• Like 1

there seems to be a lot of hostility on this thread, is because of this young mans nationality

There is enough evidence to suggest that having these booms are causing more deaths on the beaches than not having them

It is never a good idea to go swimming at night when drunk - no argument there from me

there seems to be a lot of hostility on this thread, is because of this young mans nationality

There is enough evidence to suggest that having these booms are causing more deaths on the beaches than not having them

It is never a good idea to go swimming at night when drunk - no argument there from me

For me personally the nationality might influence my opinion. I stayed in Samui recently and ALL the Russians were drinking at ALL hours at my hotel. There was never a moment they were not drinking. They were drinking in the day, they were drinking on their verandas ALL night with never a care for any other hotel guests, they were drinking booze in the morning. This was not one single group, it was Russians of all ages.

I have read on several occasions that Russia has a real problem with alcoholism, I recall the number one cause of death for men is alcoholism. Cannot sweat to it.

So, its possible that my sorrow is tempered by the young man's nationality.

• Like 1

For me personally the nationality might influence my opinion. I stayed in Samui recently and ALL the Russians were drinking at ALL hours at my hotel. There was never a moment they were not drinking. They were drinking in the day, they were drinking on their verandas ALL night with never a care for any other hotel guests, they were drinking booze in the morning. This was not one single group, it was Russians of all ages.

I have read on several occasions that Russia has a real problem with alcoholism, I recall the number one cause of death for men is alcoholism. Cannot sweat to it.

So, its possible that my sorrow is tempered by the young man's nationality.

For me I have not much respect for people doing stupid thing especially people drinking. Actually dislike stupid drunks as they bother others.

Its a tragedy that he died but he had only himself to blame. If I die crossing 2 four lane highways near a pedestrian bridge (and not using it) I dont expect much understanding either, same for going in against traffic and other things.

Its sad for his family that much is sure but its self inflicted.

For me its not about nationality but about stupidity. He could be Dutch for all I care. (im Dutch). I don't get it why people are so hung up about nationality we aren't all brought up to salute the flag and think our country is the best in the world.

• Like 2

A slight coincidence as recently, I looked at these sea booms and was recalling the past incidents and controversy over them, and that they were still there, and we had not heard of any incidents for a while.

Perhaps just due to low season, but locals are as likely to be fooling around on them as tourists.

It is sad but they are a temptation to walk on.......non-swimmers and drunk persons beware.

Its a tragedy that he died but he had only himself to blame. If I die crossing 2 four lane highways near a pedestrian bridge (and not using it) I dont expect much understanding either, same for going in against traffic and other things.

In Pattaya you are quite likely to be killed using one of the specific pedestrian crossing points controlled by lights as no drivers pay attention to them. There are no pedestrian bridges in Pattaya proper, just one on Sukhumvit.

Triangle shaped beach booms can't be walked on. The beach booms are necessary to protect the swimmers, they shouldn't be used as walkway in the sea. But in the right mood you will do stupid things. Very sad for the young fellow, very sad for his family.

RIP

Fatfather

Good idea, Fatfather ! Even a drunk russian would not attempt walking along that ! Swivel jointed interlocking units would be the way to go :)

• Like 1

It sounds to me that the boom did not kill him. What killed him was being too drunk and falling in the water. The same thing could have happened if he decided to go for a quick swim.

The booms probably save many lives. You cannot always save somebody from their own stupidity.

Just saying.

coffee1.gif

• Like 2

There is a solution

I did not read that anything was involved,they say he fell into the water.

I was curious about 'beach booms' also. This was posted in Pattaya in March - Pattaya Beach Boom Danger.

Thanks for posting the vid.

Heck, I would walk on those myself to test my agility and balance skills.

Ofcourse, I don't drink and so would not do so drunk or at night or if it was prohibited.

I still don't understand HOW he died. Did he hit his head on them?

Thanks again.

Edited by ClutchClark