Fifty Pound Notes Sterling

champers

I'll be back in Thailand; Pattaya mostly; on my holidays in a few weeks. In years gone by I've used Travellers Cheques to change money but now the cost of changing a cheque has gone through the roof I'm considering all other options. Do banks and money changers in Pattaya accept and change 50 pound notes? Please can some of the locals or fellow travellers give me some feedback? Thank you, in advance. Champers.

Crisp new £50 notes will get their attention as they aren't as common here as 20 quid notes.

Otherwise, they may take time sifting through the pile, pulling out 'suspect' bills for another teller to check. Then that teller will reject another, smaller amount from that pile before it all goes to the Forex desk manager and he accepts the lot anyway!

Take time and get your UK money launderer bank to get you new ones and save any hassle. My poor wee bank in Scotland had to order them special from London.

• Like 1

New crisp notes are preferred & if you go to say TT with £1000 worth & ask for a better rate they sometimes will give it to you.

Usually only .05 but it'll pay for a beer if you cash a grand.

They will refuse old damaged notes & offer less for Northern Bank or Scottish notes.

They also either refuse or offer lower rates for old versions of sterling.

They are very up to date on new currency issues & the latest counterfeit versions

• Like 1

New crisp notes are preferred & if you go to say TT with £1000 worth & ask for a better rate they sometimes will give it to you.

Usually only .05 but it'll pay for a beer if you cash a grand.

They will refuse old damaged notes & offer less for Northern Bank or Scottish notes.

They also either refuse or offer lower rates for old versions of sterling.

They are very up to date on new currency issues & the latest counterfeit versions

Thanks Sid. Making my own isn't one of my options.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, The manic said:

Is this information current, 2018 ,regarding changing 50 pound notes in Pattaya, Bangkok and elsewhere in Thailand. Thanks in advance for accurate information.

I think it's more true now than it was four years ago - perhaps due to the lower value of the pound they're seeing more of them. I've changed fifties without issue at the TT booths this year, and at places like Super rich in Bangkok they post a slightly better rate for fifties. 

No problem with 50 pound notes anywhere,but be careful with Scotish or Irish ones ,most wont take them ,as for the old advice about writing on them ,i remember a long time ago that it was illegal to mark a note ,my how those days have changed , but they usually will not accept ripped ones .

£50 pound notes are not common in the UK, they are not dispensed at ATM's and I assume only dispensed at banks if you request them, Cameron wanted to do away with the £50 note as it was in his words the currency of tax dodgers and criminals.  

On 9/25/2018 at 6:54 PM, Basil B said:

Cameron wanted to do away with the £50 note as it was in his words the currency of tax dodgers and criminals.  

Thanks to Cameron's genius the £50 note of 2016 is now worth less than £40.