Every Thai produces 1 kilo of waste daily

webfact

if food matter is 64% or the problem then a composting program would be a 64% solution.

Food is literally the "country" they are throwing away. I compost all organic material and have

fought for years with my Thai housemate that by not doing that you are throwing away the country, literally!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with plastic bags from supermarkets! They are not an environmental problem, if they are disposed the right way!

It is the governments responsibility to have proper garbage disposal and treatment facilities around the country. Garbage dumps for plastic are just so 1960´s like. Burning in high temperature Mega-plant ovens are both safe and clean for plastic disposal and minimizes the remains from polluting plastic to almost nothing.

About time for Thailand to learn from the Western World. Stop being so damn proud - It doesn´t hurt at all!!!

if food matter is 64% or the problem then a composting program would be a 64% solution.

Food is literally the "country" they are throwing away. I compost all organic material and have

fought for years with my Thai housemate that by not doing that you are throwing away the country, literally!

They have some very large composting plants here, producing "LessCost Compost". Unfortunately many Thais refuse to separate the Garbage(Green Waste) from the rubbish(dry waste). The problem is that they throw broken glass into the garbage bins and the fine glass contaminates the compost produced which the farmers and horticulturists do not like.

It seems, even some westerners dont know, that a plastik bottle (for example) need at least 450 years to decompose. (An Aluminium can needs at least 80 years). So "nothing wrong with plastic bags from supermarkets! "???

And burning plastic (if you dont have a big combustor with higher temperature) produce some really bad stuff (http://www.wecf.eu/cms/download/2004-2005/homeburning_plastics.pdf), and some of this stuff also runs into groudwater after burning...

When I always say "mai ao thung" (I dont take a bag) at supermarkets they are mostly looking astonished, even when they have a poster on their side which says like "plasticbags are not good..." (at tops market).

Yesterday I have seen Thaipeople feeding fishes (temple area) and then they just thrown their plastic bag to the lake.

I wonder why they dont understand what garbage do to nature... But maybe I'm just to 1960s like...

• Like 1

Agree. I am constantly surprised at those, farang and Thai, who simply shovel uneaten food into their garbage bins, and then complain when soi dogs come and rip the bags open, strewing everything around the house! Why don't they think huh.png

And, PACKAGING. In the name of God, there should be a law against companies using packaging to excess. Bloody styrofoam everywhere.

I helped write one of the Bangkok Solid Waste Master Plans. The figure of 1Kg/person is possibly correct. However, since the population of "Thais" in Thailand is around 67 Million, then the total waste produced is more like 67 Million Tonnes/day. The Thai "Experts" give a figure of 26 Million Tonnes of waste produced per day. From my experience this probably means that 26 Million Tonnes are collected for proper disposal and therefore 31Tonnes/day are tipped anywhere. These days the Salaeng are no where as efficeint as 15 years ago when I wrote the plan. In those dasy every scrap of paper, cardboard, metals, glass and plastic bottles were collected by them. These days as soon as they get enough easy pickings for a bottle of Lao Chao they stop working.

Edited by Estrada

Correct if my math is wrong, (just woke up and still on the coffee), but 26 million tonnes is 26.000.000.000kg

I think there are about 80.000.000 (80 million) Thais, farangs and unregistered people. Devided those 2 numbers and I get 325 kg

Of course 325 kg per Thai seems a little high.

Edited by ronthai

Styrofoam.

How many 7/11 plastic bags does it take to make up 1kg ?, (or 2.2lbs for our metric illiterate colonial cousins)

This is your homework for this evening...thumbsup.gif

Closest answer get a hot date with "Gaylips" all expenses paid...

Back up there a little mister.

At the moment nobody has taken a guess, which means that if someone came along and gave ‘1 plastic bag’ as the answer, that would become the nearest guess.

I could then end up having to entertain and uneducated person.

And supposing it is an older man, I wouldn’t mind that but ‘J’ and the other members of the ALBC would be very angry, I could never bring an older man to our grindhouse.

Anyway, I have to go as I’m making ‘Js’ lunch and as he is trying to get in shape for our next skin flick, I have to toss his salad. wub.png

No spotted Dick for Soutpeel though. biggrin.png

I will leave you with ‘J’s favourite saying, ‘may all your children have big dicks, especially the girls’.

Love and sprinkles.

Gayllips.

402.gif402.gif402.gif402.gif402.gif402.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Most of it appears to be thrown along the roadside or dumped on vacant land.

The liquid waste you see running through city meat markets really has to be seen to be believed.

The waste that you are referring to is probably not accounted for in the numbers referred to above. If it was these numbers would probably double or triple.

Correct if my math is wrong, (just woke up and still on the coffee), but 26 million tonnes is 26.000.000.000kg

I think there are about 80.000.000 (80 million) Thais, farangs and unregistered people. Devided those 2 numbers and I get 325 kg

Yes they got me going too. I just checked my figures and the Bangkok Solid Waste is 11,000Tonnes/day (collected) = 11,000,000kg which means that the average on a per person basis is 1kg/day(not all collected), so their figures are wrong or reported wrongly. Their figures should read 26,000tonnes per day (probably thought that a tonne = 1Million kgs).

I helped write one of the Bangkok Solid Waste Master Plans. The figure of 1Kg/person is possibly correct. However, since the population of "Thais" in Thailand is around 67 Million, then the total waste produced is more like 67 Million Tonnes/day. The Thai "Experts" give a figure of 26 Million Tonnes of waste produced per day. From my experience this probably means that 26 Million Tonnes are collected for proper disposal and therefore 31Tonnes/day are tipped anywhere. These days the Salaeng are no where as efficeint as 15 years ago when I wrote the plan. In those dasy every scrap of paper, cardboard, metals, glass and plastic bottles were collected by them. These days as soon as they get enough easy pickings for a bottle of Lao Chao they stop working.

Sorry, I should have checked their figures closely(I was still half asleep). The 26Million Tonnes/day they describe should be 26,000Tonnes/day and my estimate is around 67,000Tonnes/day. This means 26,000Tonnes/day collected and 31,000Tonnes per day unaccounted for. In Bangkok they collect around 11,000Tonnes per day which is less than the 17,000Tonnes/day that is actually produced.

Styrofoam.

How many 7/11 plastic bags does it take to make up 1kg ?, (or 2.2lbs for our metric illiterate colonial cousins)

Think of 3 empty bottles of "Chang" the glass has a lot weight....Or M150 and RedBull bottles.

Consider the number of days n the year.

If the figure of 60%+ being food waste is correct that is absolutely appalling. Is this because what is produced is inedible or that just too much is produced?

Food waste aside the amount of other waste can be drastically reduced by actively discouraging the use of plastic bags and polystyrene food containers. By actively discouraging I mean by introducing a charge particularly by Tesco, Big C, 7-11 etc. etc. Whenever I stand in a supermarket queue with my own reusable shopping bag I continue to be amazed at the number of bags that people take. Only yesterday I was in Big C Extra in Pattaya and the woman in front of me purchased 25 identical bags of detergent. Each of these bags was then placed into 2 supermarket bags, presumably because 1 supermarket bag would not take the weight!!! Following this, 5 of each of the now, triple wrapped purchases (including the original packaging), were placed in a larger bag and surprise surprise the weight was too much and the bag had to be doubled up. So we ended up with 25 already packaged items requiring 60 supermarket provided plastic bags to remove them from the shop. Absolutely incredible!!!! Where will all these plastic bags finish up? In landfill or dumped illegally.

Styrofoam.

Think of 3 empty bottles of "Chang" the glass has a lot weight....Or M150 and RedBull bottles.

Or Nong Khai whisky, when 4 people can get plastered for 100 baht. where is the deterrent ?? Why cannot all shops do the same as MAKRO, If you go shopping take a shopping bag with you. How difficult is that---for most Thais VERY, because they have never done it. and too lazy to get a bag out of the cupboard. BUT they always have a bag when going to the farm, in case they get some bamboo shoots, mushrooms etc. Funny lot here.

Incredible figures !

The report suggests that Thai's waste about 16,000,000 tons of food per year !

Seems a sad indictment on their society.

Just check the food waste figures for the 'developed' world compared to South East Asia. The comparison is staggering and will make you change your view on which society is sadder.

But Thai waste is thrown away in a plastic bag....can't get enough of plastic bags in Thailand. Plastic bags rule in Thailand!!!

In our village (Isaan) it's ALL burned. There is NO trash collection.

Actually, that is one of the root causes of pollution. I've just finished editing a report on pollution in Thailand, and local burning is one of the major causes. And to add, it's more than 1kg per person.

I remember a pom talking on TV in phuket about trying to get the Thais to be more environmentally aware and he was trying to set-up a recycling plant - It was like talking Greek to the Thais they didn't want a bar of it let along a farang telling them what to do so please continue to keep foreign intelligence out and continue to live on a garbage dump.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Styrofoam.

This is your homework for this evening... alt=thumbsup.gif>

illiterate colonial counsins?

Prime Minister David Cameron has said he'd prefer the country to abandon the metric system, "I think I'd still go for pounds and ounces. Rather like we use miles and pints."

But Thai waste is thrown away in a plastic bag....can't get enough of plastic bags in Thailand. Plastic bags rule in Thailand!!!

In our village (Isaan) it's ALL burned. There is NO trash collection.

Actually, that is one of the root causes of pollution. I've just finished editing a report on pollution in Thailand, and local burning is one of the major causes. And to add, it's more than 1kg per person.

The last village I lived in bins were provided by the village, but NO collection. every eve a massive stink of plastic rubber, They burn batteries, bottles, sardine tins, etc. The next morning, bottles still there tins and unexploded batteries.

I joked one day and told the village head man, I can tell without looking if the bottles burning were green--brown--or clear glass. TRUTH he believed me.

The way they dispose of their garbage here in Thailand is shocking,after 20 years here I would think I`ll be immune to the garbage everywhere,but I still get angry when I see how the Thai`s are choking their own country with various garbage.

A very important person(that can`t be discussed here) have through the years told his countrymen to take care of their enviroment........................Must be very dissapointing to see what little impact his preachings has had sad.png ........

Correct me if I am wrong but if evey Thai produces 1 Kg of waste everyday then surely in a population of 70 million people that should equate to 70 million kilograms every day or 70,000 metric tonnes a day ??? Where does it all go ?? In the gulf of Thailand is my guess, looking at the crap that comes on shore in Rayong and probably other beahes south of Bangkok , after every storm. Where are all the rubbish tips in Thailand? I have not seen any evidence of any in the 3 1/2 years I have been here. in various locations ?

Edited by daiwill60