Garbage man declines donation from actress

Lite Beer

Garbage man declines donation from actress
The Sunday Nation

Actress Panadda "Boom" Wongphudee yesterday presented Bt50,000 to Bangkok garbage collector Surat Maneenopparatsuda at Saphan Sung District Office.
Boom also offered to take care of Surat's daughter, who was treated at a children's hospital for a facial tumour.

But after thanking Boom, Surat gave the money back and told her to donate it to charity causes for underprivileged people.

He said he was content with what he had - freedom, a job, a loving family and no debt.

"I'm not arrogant or anything. I am grateful for your kind attention but I'd like to decline this," he said.

"I have already got previous donations that cleared my debts. I'd like to also thank the anonymous person who paid the Bt133,400 fine to free me."

Surat said people wishing to donate money to him should instead give it to charity.

He was released on Friday after an anonymous good Samaritan paid his fine so he did not have to spend 667 days in jail for selling pirated movie and music compact discs that he collected from scrap.

An informed source reported that the Courts of Justice had propose allowing the option of a suspended sentence in cases like Surat's where people are jailed if they can't pay the fine.

The proposal had been forwarded to the National Legislative Assembly, the source said. The law currently only allows verdicts for crimes that carry a jail term to be suspended.

The source said the Courts of Justice had also proposed doubling to Bt400 the amount that goes towards unpaid fines for each day someone is jailed, and allowing defendants the option of performing community service to pay off the fine.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Garbage-man-declines-donation-from-actress-30247867.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-16

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see a poor man with pride!!thumbsup.gif

All the selfserving Thai politicians could learn a lot from this humble man!!

Actually JOC, I don't think this man is poor. I think he's a lot richer than most - his prowess speaks volumes - he's king of the road, as they say. ;)

• Like 1

The photo of his daughter greeting him in one of the newspapers yesterday was one of the nicest photos I have seen in any paper. A daughter who really loves her father and a father who really loves his daughter and it shows.

A really nice man it seems and one of the many real Thais

Just glad this out well in the end for this guy,the poor always

get the shit end of the stick,the justice system here really needs

reform,if your rich,a politician,or HiSo, you get a slap on the wrist

a suspended sentence at worse.

regards Worgeordie

Just glad this out well in the end for this guy,the poor always

get the shit end of the stick,the justice system here really needs

reform,if your rich,a politician,or HiSo, you get a slap on the wrist

a suspended sentence at worse.

regards Worgeordie

Oh just chuck the bloody CD's back in the bin.

Faith in humanity sometimes gets restored.

It is a good day today,

• Like 1

From the article:

But as the court was informed by corrections officials that the convicted couldn’t afford the fine due to his poverty, the court then ordered that he be detained instead in lieu of the fine.

However as the law allows maximum one year detention term in lieu of the fine, he then has to serve the prison term of not more than one year.

So, if you are convicted of a massive fraud involving hundreds of millions, get fined say 10 million - you can then plead poverty and spend maximum one year in jail? Oh yes, doh - these guys never get caught...

If only the so called 'High So ' Thai's would follow this mans example of impeccable behaviour the country would soon be moving in the right direction.

Kudos to the Princess and the Actress; it at least shows that there is hope in the cesspit of the upper classes.